Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like the say of members on which is the best for the sky. the automatic or the 5-speed stick thank you.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
The correct answer is...

"That Depends."

I got me a manual, and wouldn't have it any other way. There is nothing like running up through the gears, or keeping it in low gear when doing a mountain road - lots of power to bite in going up, and lots of engine braking when going down. The connection to the road - and the car - is lost when you don't have a manual transmission.

-- However --

I live 10 miles from work. I take largely unoccupied back roads to get there (yes, that is still possible in greater metropolitan Los Angeles - not easy, but possible.) However, on the occasion where I have had to traverse an LA expressway during rush hour (defined as 6AM to 10AM in the morning, and 3PM to 7PM at night - that's a loooooong hour!) I have longed for the ease and comfort of an automatic. It is frustrating to spend an hour waiting to be able to shift into third gear. Your clutch leg aches. Your feet go numb. You have to keep both legs on pedals virtually all the time. That's where an automatic really is a better solution.

So - what is the best for the SKY?

That depends on where you want to go, what time you want to go there, and what you want your driving experience to be during the trip.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
mono01 said:
would like the say of members on which is the best for the sky. the automatic or the 5-speed stick thank you.
You get Manual to drive the car
Automatic if you just want to ride along

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
buy one of each.... I wish I could...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best for the Sky or best for me in my Sky?
My RL will be an automatic. As stated in a previous thread, if I want to do some "spirited" driving than I can always drive my 5 spd LT1 Fiero GT.
The RL will become the daily driver for me and a back up for my wife. This RL is replacing an automatic 87 Fiero GT. As for my wife, she drives an all black 2000 Grand Am GT fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I ordered the auto because my wife wanted it. The dealer called me one day and said they had a Sky that a customer backed out of the deal and did I want to come look at it. I bought it. Only difference was it was a stick shift and XM radio rather than the 6CD changer. Gave my wife a quick refresher course on driving a stick and we're both happy. I love the stick but if I drove to work everyday in stop and go traffic, I think I would go for the auto.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got a manual, but ran into an issue when I was out of town for a weekend and no one could move my car because I am the only one who can drive stick. So that can be a consideration.

The manual is super easy to shift and has excellent short throws. I don't get the auto mags. I drove the new Miata 6 speed manual and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the throws on the Sky.

I live in LA and suffering through 2 hours of no-go traffic can be a massive clutch leg workout so that is also something to consider.

But if you are planning on being a very spirited driver with the car you will have to get a manual to keep the engine in power on a base Sky. If they had a manual shifting option on the auto I would say go auto, I have it on both our Porsche and Lexus and actually prefer it now to a standard manual, but unfortunately the Sky does not have that option yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
You get Manual to drive the car
Automatic if you just want to ride along

That is a great line! My wife's car will be an automatic - she just wants to ride along in it and look good doing it!

·
Registered
308 Posts
duke15 said:
That is a great line! My wife's car will be an automatic - she just wants to ride along in it and look good doing it!
my reason for getting an automatic is i am left handed and for me every thing is back words (coordination ) and i know some one will say that it is just an excuse but i am not going to trash a great vehicle on trying to learn to drive a stick, (thats my story and i am sticking with it :thumbs: )

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Robotech said:
For me, a car like the Sky is supposed to be a manual. But that's me. As people mentioned here it really is personal preference.
My fillings exactly :agree:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
bentley said:
my reason for getting an automatic is i am left handed and for me every thing is back words (coordination ) and i know some one will say that it is just an excuse but i am not going to trash a great vehicle on trying to learn to drive a stick, (thats my story and i am sticking with it :thumbs: )
You could move to England

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
wt2ga said:
You could move to England
I think the Japanese drive on the wrong side of the road, too. So maybe the Daewoo built for Asian Markets will offer a righty for all those lefties!

·
Registered
422 Posts
mono01 said:
It's for sure roadster and stick belong together like brother and sister.:thumbs:
If you haven't learned driving a stick yet buy a beater in between and practice.
If you only drive in heavy traffic rush hour the Sky could be the wrong car for you :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
performance difference?

Is there a true performance difference between the two?

I know the driver chooses when to shift with a stick. But what about the automatic, is it programmed for optimal performance?

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
It's for sure roadster and stick belong together like brother and sister.:thumbs:
If you haven't learned driving a stick yet buy a beater in between and practice.
If you only drive in heavy traffic rush hour the Sky could be the wrong car for you :D
I drive in heavy traffic everyday...will still take the Sky in a manual. :)

Heck, my son is already practicing how to shift from the passenger's seat. I told him his first car is going to be a manual because there is no way he's not going to know how to drive one. I told a buddy of mine to move my car and he's says..."I can't, I can't drive a stick." ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Alien to me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts