Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard if the automatic transmission will let the driver shift manually - like a tiptronic?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Haven't heard, but I hope not. From what I've heard, 'auto-stick' cars have so many problems they aren't worth it. If you want to shift it, get a manual.

Besides, isn't the Sky only going to be available in a manual? (If I missed where it talks about it having an auto tranny, please ignore me for being ignorant! :p)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The only news we know is that there will be a new 5-speed automatic available from the start of production on the Sky. Specifics about this transmission re unknown at this point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
BlueSky said:
Haven't heard, but I hope not. From what I've heard, 'auto-stick' cars have so many problems they aren't worth it. If you want to shift it, get a manual.

Besides, isn't the Sky only going to be available in a manual? (If I missed where it talks about it having an auto tranny, please ignore me for being ignorant! :p)
The steptronic in my Z4 is bullet proof and has 3 modes:
auto, auto-SD (sport mode) and manual shifting.
I'd love to see something similar in the Sky...

·
Registered
245 Posts
hey,
do you think there will be an aftermarket steptronic tranny that would fit the 2.4L ecotec? or the 2.0L TC (IF that's what they're using in the redline)?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
BlueSky said:
I want the fun of a manual without being married to it. I live out in the burbs and know some nice twisty roads that would be lots of fun. Manual also gives more control in inclement weather.

I also drive into NYC somewhat often and have been spoiled by remote start. The thought of inching through the Holland Tunnel in a stick is very unappealing. Far more unappealing is the idea of placing my pampered hindquarters on a cold seat or (gasp!) wearing a jacket when it's a bit chilly. There's also the issue of how often I find myself talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette, or doing something else when I don't need the distraction of paying attention to my driving. :)

I basically want the best of both worlds and am very willing to pay for it. If I wanted a bare bones roadster I'd buy a Solstice, roll down the windows, unlock it with a key, skip the A/C, and shift away. That would be fun, but I'd be over it pretty quickly. I want every bit of technology I can get that will make my life easier and/or more fun.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
achieftain said:
From what I had seen the tranny is supposed to be six-speed with option of steering wheel tap shift.
For the Solstice/Sky? The official Saturn press information says 5-Speed Automatic with no mention of tap shifting or even being a manualmatic.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Rumor - Gas Guzzler Tax to be imposed

The Pontiac website is listing the Solstice with an automatic to incur a $1300 gas guzzler tax! This means the gas mileage will be 19/25 MPG. You may want to rethink the automatic option.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Delnari said:
The Pontiac website is listing the Solstice with an automatic to incur a $1300 gas guzzler tax! This means the gas mileage will be 19/25 MPG. You may want to rethink the automatic option.
I ran some more numbers, it could be like 18/26 too. There's a couple of varients that the range could be in to fit that $1300 tax bracket.

Also note to everyone, this is the Automatic transmission only (and the Solstice only) at this point. Since the Sky produces less HP and Torque it might be tuned a little more for fuel economy then the Solstice and might not have this issue. However everyone considering the automatic should take this into account just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Delnari said:
Where are you getting this information? At www.pontiac.com - looking under solstice, there is no mention of an automatic transmission, let alone gas guzzler info. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I stand corrected. The spec sheet I have on the sol does say 5 speed auto, early 2006. Just somewhere I recall reading something about a 6 speed, maybe the concept?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
achieftain said:
I stand corrected. The spec sheet I have on the sol does say 5 speed auto, early 2006. Just somewhere I recall reading something about a 6 speed, maybe the concept?
Yeah, the concept car supposedly had a Corvette 6-spee manual transmission in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts