Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter from Saturn today stating that SKY's with auto transmissions need to have the transmission vent tube checked as its susceptible to water damage. It states that the transmission fluid could become contaminated with water, and that they will either replace the tube, or replace the entire transmission, based on what they find when i bring the car in.

They dont call it a 'recall', but they recommend I bring the car in as soon as possible.

Anyone else get this or have the work done? It came in today's mail, and i'm vin #1422.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I read about the recall on a different forum. Just as you stated and a simple fix for them to do. Only on the Automatics though.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
bubacc posted this just recently.
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6292

Sounds like Saturn's getting ahead of a potential problem.
There was a service campaign out a while ago to check a range of vins.

Just make sure to get the car in and checked over.
If you're in the impacted range, or need the vent tube fix,
you _absolutely_ want to get it fixed up before any problems.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
rocky777 said:
I received a letter from Saturn today stating that SKY's with auto transmissions need to have the transmission vent tube checked as its susceptible to water damage. It states that the transmission fluid could become contaminated with water, and that they will either replace the tube, or replace the entire transmission, based on what they find when i bring the car in.

They dont call it a 'recall', but they recommend I bring the car in as soon as possible.

Anyone else get this or have the work done? It came in today's mail, and i'm vin #1422.
IT DON'T MATTER TO ME, I HAVRN'T GOTTEN MIND YET........OUCH J/K:nono:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My vent tube was just replaced and I took delivery on July 1st. If your VIN# falls within a certain range (I forget what the exact range is but I think it's like 0-3,350 or something like that)...then you will be getting a new vent tube and they will check your transmission fluid to determine if it has been contaminated with water. If so, you will get an entirely new transmission...if no contamination is found, they will just replace the vent tube. That is my understanding of it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable way to correct/solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It not a recall. All they need to do is check the vent tube and the fluid. If the fluid is good, you are on your way.

By the way, I had mine checked while having a minor part fixed. It took an extra 15 min. The best part, my service guy told me they were gonna check - I didn't have to ask.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
bigdog said:
It not a recall. All they need to do is check the vent tube and the fluid. If the fluid is good, you are on your way.

By the way, I had mine checked while having a minor part fixed. It took an extra 15 min. The best part, my service guy told me they were gonna check - I didn't have to ask.
Kudos to your service Dept. That means they are reading the Service Bulletins....:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Kudos to your service Dept. That means they are reading the Service Bulletins....:thumbs:
Doesn't that stuff automatically pop up on the computer system when the service writer inputs the VIN?

·
Registered
117 Posts
We received our notice in yesterday's mail. The dealer had checked the trans fluid last time I was in (another story for another time). They mentioned the check was for contamination and could result in a trans replacement. Fortunately we came up clean. Now, it's time to bring 'er in for the formal deal, eh?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Our fluid was checked for water when we took delivery = clean. Now we have the notification to bring it in. Service guy says no rush. They have two parts to install - vent tube and a cap. As long as we get it done before wet season we should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts