Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has information of the configuration of the automatic transmission...namely if it will come with the paddle controls on the steering wheel or column? I read somewhere that the tranny is controlled electronically and therefore it would only be logical for the controls to be part of the package. Does anyone have pictures? Enquiring minds want to know.
Jayne:confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Jayne said:
I was wondering if anyone has information of the configuration of the automatic transmission...namely if it will come with the paddle controls on the steering wheel or column? I read somewhere that the tranny is controlled electronically and therefore it would only be logical for the controls to be part of the package. Does anyone have pictures? Enquiring minds want to know.
Jayne:confused:
no paddle controls, just your standard floor shift...but it is a 5 speed, and from what i have read has a faster 0-60 time than the manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
no paddle controls, just your standard floor shift...but it is a 5 speed, and from what i have read has a faster 0-60 time than the manual.
Where'd you read that one? I would be shocked if that were true....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
link?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
The only reference to the auto being faster that I can recall seeing was the first post in this thread. I don't think I've come across any Sky performance numbers that aren't assumptions from the Solstice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Automatic Transmission

Here's what I found out. I may be wrong but the first link is talking about the Solstrice Automatic Transmission and the second is from a search of the transmission mentioned. I may be off somewhere in left field but here's the information and perhaps someone can set this girl straight.
Jayne

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090501.html

Oh yeah. The car. . .
So what about the vehicle? "There's not a car out there with these proportions," claims Doug Parks, chief engineer on the program, who adds that it is a "dead-on ringer for the show car." The roadster's design features a long hood, short overhangs at the front and rear, a high belt line, clean sides, wide 18-in. wheels and tires out at the corners, and more curves than anything this side of the Rockettes. The overall length is 157.2 in.; the wheelbase is 95.1 in.; the width is 71.3 in. and the height 50.1 in. The curb weight is 2,860 lb. Under the clamshell hood is a 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine that provides 177 hp @ 6,600 rpm and 166 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,800 rpm. So if you do the math, the vehicle has a weight-to-horsepower ratio of about 16.2 to 1. The engine has dual overhead cams, continuously variable intake and exhaust valve timing, polymer coating on the pistons, and other features that provide performance for the vehicle. Hydraulic engine mounts are used to smooth engine feel. The engine is mated (there is a full-circle transmission mount on the engine, so there's solid mating here) to an Aisin five-speed manual that features a short-throw shifter. (A Hydra-Matic 5L40-E automatic transmission will be on its way later in the '06 model year.) The rear axle is derived from the Cadillac CTS.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/gi/03-05cts.html

The compact, state-of-the-art 5L40-E automatic transmission features a full complement of advanced electronic control capabilities. These include a shift mode button that allows the driver to select between "sport," "winter" and "economy" modes. Another electronic feature is also a first for GM: engine braking in all five gears, giving the automatic the same sporty feel as a downshifting manual.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The gearing is different in the Automatic compared to the Manual.

2006 Hydra-Matic 5L40-E Transmission
First: 3.42
Second: 2.21
Third: 1.6
Fourth: 1
Fifth: 0.75
Reverse: 3.02

Aisin AR-5
First: 3.75
Second: 2.26
Third: 1.37
Fifth: 0.73
Reverse: 3.67

Unfortunatly I don't remember the math involved but knowing the car's specifications you can calculate maximum speed in a gear.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
gmguy
when your image came in were you able to actually order the Auto???

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Macros said:

I WILL BE HAPPY IF THAT IS TRUE...... my BMW M3..... rocks...... and i would love to have that same feeling in my SKY.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
623 Posts
brentil said:
The gearing is different in the Automatic compared to the Manual.

2006 Hydra-Matic 5L40-E Transmission
First: 3.42
Second: 2.21
Third: 1.6
Fifth: 0.75
Reverse: 3.02

Aisin AR-5
First: 3.75
Second: 2.26
Third: 1.37
Fifth: 0.73
Reverse: 3.67

Unfortunatly I don't remember the math involved but knowing the car's specifications you can calculate maximum speed in a gear.
You are also going to need the Final Drive Ratio, and the Engine RPM goinginto the Transmission to calculate.

Using Google you can find a calculator in short order.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Macros said:
I would like to give you my source , just say it is from a reliable e-mail from someone in the know. That has actually driven the Automatic...I can tell you that this is a performance automatic, that will shift hard and fast when you need it to....Which is sort of mentioned in the thread My roadtrip to wilmington, the first post tells about someone driving one and it shifts through the gears very quickly.http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2407

·
Registered
357 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
gmguy
when your image came in were you able to actually order the Auto???
Yes. My order and another poster's order were accepted on Tuesday, Feb. 28th with the Auto Trans option. I just couldn't get the black & red two-toned interior.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have to think depending on the driver you should be able to get a faster time with a 5 speed manual versus a 5 speed auto, unless you have a DSG tranny. :willy:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SaturnSkyDude said:
I have to think depending on the driver you should be able to get a faster time with a 5 speed manual versus a 5 speed auto, unless you have a DSG tranny. :willy:
I will have to disagree, a performance automatic is quicker through the shifts,
I already know through testing of the Chevy HHR with a 4 speed Automatic and the 2.4 that it is faster 0-60 than the 5 speed manual... I assume since the Auto in the Solstice and Sky will have more of a performance tuning, and the 5 speed is out of a Colorado pickup it is not as suited for the torque curve of the engine... an automatic can be tuned for optimum shift points and is repeatable, with the manual you are depending on a driver to determine when to shift...
I am not saying in all situations the manual will be slower, but for normal driving I feel it will...
But the manual will be more fun to drive.
of course this is just my opinion, and untill some automatics get out there I am just speculating on what info I have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:

I wonder if this will be true in the RedLine also.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
What I have read showed the Automatic .2 slower than standard in side by side test...and that sound obout right for the converter...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
seal9 said:
What I have read showed the Automatic .2 slower than standard in side by side test...and that sound obout right for the converter...Seal9:cheers:
That's not as bad as the .6 - .7+ loss in my automatic :eek:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Jayne said:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/gi/03-05cts.html

The compact, state-of-the-art 5L40-E automatic transmission features a full complement of advanced electronic control capabilities. These include a shift mode button that allows the driver to select between "sport," "winter" and "economy" modes. Another electronic feature is also a first for GM: engine braking in all five gears, giving the automatic the same sporty feel as a downshifting manual.
Does anybody with an Automatic know if the Sky has this option?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts