Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week's Autoweek has the Opel OPC which is an Astra hatchback that is supposed to compete with the VW GTI in Europe. The car has a 2.0 turbo with 240 hp. The blurb says that GM is considering using this engine in future Saturn models such as the Aura. Could this be the answer to the supercharged/turbocharged debate for the foced induction Sky/Sol?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Could be, but don't completely cast aside the current 205hp (I think) 2.0 S/C in the Cobalt. 240 beats 205 anyday but 205 beats 177 as well!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
achieftain said:
Could be, but don't completely cast aside the current 205hp (I think) 2.0 S/C in the Cobalt. 240 beats 205 anyday but 205 beats 177 as well!
Well there's been talk that the Supercharged engine might be phased out in favor of a more powerful Turbocharged varient that would be used in a fairly large array of GM vehicles that currently use ECOTEC engines. Which is a very large array of cars. Solstice, Sky, Cobalt, ION, Malibu MAXX, HHR, G6 will evetually. Having a high performance engine of this power would easily put any of the GM cars it goes into in a new class of performance power for the engine size.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
This week's Autoweek has the Opel OPC which is an Astra hatchback that is supposed to compete with the VW GTI in Europe. The car has a 2.0 turbo with 240 hp. The blurb says that GM is considering using this engine in future Saturn models such as the Aura. Could this be the answer to the supercharged/turbocharged debate for the foced induction Sky/Sol?
It also produces 320Nm (236 ft-lbs) of Torque. It'll power the Astra and Zafira OPC models. I'm trying to find more information about this engine, like specificaly what model it is.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
This new 240HP Turbocharged engine is actually an ECOTEC. It's based off the Astra's 2.0L Turbocharged engine that currently produces 200HP and 262Nm of Torque. The power gain comes from tweaking the intake and exhuast,improved Turbocharger, modified fuel system, along with using higher quality internals to support the power gain. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what ECOTEC engine this is.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I've found a good bit of specs on the 2.0L 200HP this 240HP engine is based off of. Very interesting info.
Maximum torque of 250 Nm [185 ft-lbs] is available at a constant boost pressure of 0.85 bar [12.3 PSI] between 1950 and 5600 rpm. Peak power of 200 hp is reached at 5600 rpm.
At full throttle, the engine's electronic management system provides additional reserves by allowing a maximum rpm of 6800 instead of 6400 for a short period. Clever packaging of the turbo system is the basis for its turbine-like performance; exhaust manifold, turbine housing, waste gate and other elements are integrated as a single, compact component, allowing Vauxhall engineers to significantly reduce engine size and weight.
This state of the art Euro 4 compliant turbo engine proves that performance needn't result in high fuel consumption - on the combined cycle, the Astra GSi manages 31.7mpg.
Bore (mm): 86
Stroke (mm): 86
Displacement (cc): 1998
Compression ratio: 8.8
turbo with intercooler
Engine output: 200 hp at 5600 rpm
Max. torque (Nm at 1/ min): 250 at 1950 rpm [185 ft-lbs]
Fuel Economy urban: 22.6 MPG extra- urban: 41.5 MPG total: 31.7 MPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really hope they put that engine in the Sky RL!! It might sway me from getting an S2000 instead!! I love the look of the sky but I really love the performace of the s2000!! and if they can get that engine in the sky I will defintly by one!!!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I forgot to do the conversion above when I posted, but I've added it in now.

.85 bar = 12.3 PSI

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
kappaman said:
YEAH baby!!! :thumbs:

Did I read that right? Max torque at 1950 RPM?
Heck yeah you did. :D I got that straight from the Vauxhall website. According to them the current Astra SRi 2.0L Turbocharged ECOTEC making 200HP delivers all 185 ft-lbs at 1950 RPM. I'm betting the max Torque RPM is higher on the 240HP version due to more then likely a larger Turbocharger, but I'm not too picky if Max Torque of 236 ft-lbs was available ~2400 RPM. As we've discussed the ECOTEC VVT 2.4L only makes 90% at 2400RPM.

I got the information from here;
http://vauxhall.co.uk/companyInformation/newsPage.jhtml?indexNo=522

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

The 2.0 litre Turbo engine is a superb unit. Its best application is used in the Vauxhall VX220/ Opel Speedster. These cars can reach 0 - 60mph in 4.3secs (VXR versions with 240Hp)

The VX220 is based upon the Lotus Elise chassis (built in Norfolk on the same production line) so handling is superb as well! I only own the 2.2L (145Hp) version, which still manages 0-60 in 5.6secs.

For more information and a wealth of knowledge about tuning these engines try visiting www.vx220.org.uk

Have fun.........

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Astra/Zafira 240 hp

HI I am from Germany and I have a drove already a 240 hp Zafira. The Max. HP you can have original is 200 for the OPC. BUT............. We have a found chip tuning and now the engine is having 246 hp. The V max id original around 207 - 210 Km/h with the chip Tuning the Vmax is 240 km/h (around 150 m/h). The OPC Astra is more fast but I did not drive jet. I guess the sky will have a speed of around 160 m/h. Only bad thing is we can´t buy or make a downpayment and no one from Opel shop know something. Let me know when it is possible to buy in the States directly. Here we can´t wait :willy:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dude... I like the sound of this-- it would be a perfect starting point for a wicked Sky RL... which is exactly why GM will F$%k it up and not use it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Flawless Germany said:
HI I am from Germany and I have a drove already a 240 hp Zafira. The Max. HP you can have original is 200 for the OPC. BUT............. We have a found chip tuning and now the engine is having 246 hp. The V max id original around 207 - 210 Km/h with the chip Tuning the Vmax is 240 km/h (around 150 m/h). The OPC Astra is more fast but I did not drive jet. I guess the sky will have a speed of around 160 m/h. Only bad thing is we can´t buy or make a downpayment and no one from Opel shop know something. Let me know when it is possible to buy in the States directly. Here we can´t wait :willy:
Don't know what they will have to do body-wise for the Opel variant of the Sol/Sky you will get as the Solstice has been reported to not meet pedestrian/auto crash standards and therefore can't be sold in Europe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts