Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just over a year, and just under 10k miles, ago I purchased a full set of Riken Raptor ZR A/S tires. And I made a somewhat positive post at the time of my first impressions. That has changed. For the first 5k miles, everything was fine. But recently I have had issues (read that as ISSUES!!!!) with traction in the wet. Pulling off the line slowly. Accelerating slowly around a turn. Shifting from 1st to 2nd and even 3rd. So far, I haven't had any problems with stopping, although I will add a caveat that what I HAVE experienced is a drastic increase in the AB system kicking in... so I'm gonna chalk that up to unusual (compared to my past few years history) lost traction there too that is PROBABLY caused by the tires. But I can't prove that.

So, avoid those tires. I will be going back to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS as soon as I can arrange it. Yes, they cost twice as much. But just what is your health, life, property and the well-being of your passengers worth to you?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
So just over a year, and just under 10k miles, ago I purchased a full set of Riken Raptor ZR A/S tires. And I made a somewhat positive post at the time of my first impressions. That has changed. For the first 5k miles, everything was fine. But recently I have had issues (read that as ISSUES!!!!) with traction in the wet. Pulling off the line slowly. Accelerating slowly around a turn. Shifting from 1st to 2nd and even 3rd. So far, I haven't had any problems with stopping, although I will add a caveat that what I HAVE experienced is a drastic increase in the AB system kicking in... so I'm gonna chalk that up to unusual (compared to my past few years history) lost traction there too that is PROBABLY caused by the tires. But I can't prove that.

So, avoid those tires. I will be going back to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS as soon as I can arrange it. Yes, they cost twice as much. But just what is your health, life, property and the well-being of your passengers worth to you?
Indeed.

When I purchased our RL, it has some Kuhmo tires that provided decent dry grip-= as were ice skates on wet roads. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s and am very pleased.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The problem with these noname brands are that they perform well for the initial mileage. However the degradation is steep after that. I think these manufacturers design their products such that they perform well against the large brand makers to generate early positive reviews to drive sale.
That said some have evolved to deliver consistent performance. I'd still stick with Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone brands. They have not let me down thus far.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the first 5k, yes the wet traction was fine. It wasn't as good as the Continentals I had before, but if they had kept that level I wouldn't now be looking to replace them. I was just more careful (probably a good thing anyway) when I was driving in the wet.

As for brand... One of the reasons I went with the Rikens was that they were made by Michelin. They were just an off-brand, discount tire. I figured, "Hey, it's made by the same company as the Pilots so it should be good, right?" WRONG!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Something similar here. When i bought my GT it came with a set of cheap Laufen tires. Laufen is poor's man Hankook, but i thought they were Hankook after all. And in fact they kind of worked at first, but after changing brakes, shocks and flashing ECU to 320 hp and 480 nm, the tires began to show its weakness when accelerating and cornering fast, so after experiencing some frightening moments, i changed them for four Yokohama NEOVA semislicks which are absolutely amazing and up to the work and much more probably.

Story doesn't end there though, now the weak link are not tires but clutch which slides when flooring hard. I am also planning to get a high capacity intercooler and raise power to 340 hp and 500 nm, so i am looking for some reinforced clutch. Would like to go with DDM's performance kit but living in EU bringing it here would be too pricey.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The problem with these noname brands are that they perform well for the initial mileage. However the degradation is steep after that. I think these manufacturers design their products such that they perform well against the large brand makers to generate early positive reviews to drive sale.
That said some have evolved to deliver consistent performance. I'd still stick with Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone brands. They have not let me down thus far.
Tire companies are in business to maximize profits. Even though they may have sub-brands (Usually lesser expensive alternatives, to give consumers alternatives away from their competition and to keep monies in house), tire technologies differ. The premium brand usually has the latest and greatest technology while the lessor brands get the trickle down effect, where those technologies are incorporated into those lines at later dates. That doesn’t mean the other lines aren’t good, it’s just a way for companies to market and make profits from all the tires they offer.
With tires and many other products, Premium products come at a premium price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to tell you but these are made by Michelins. I have them on mine for 4 years and are great. i have been caught in rain and no problems.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just put Riken Raptors on my 07 base. Love the ground grip, take off, curves and turns.
Tire rack @ $112 per. Another $30 per to mount and balance. Love the tread pattern.
Road noise is minimal. We'll see at 5000 miles on them but it takes a few years to get there in ol UpState NY.
Only a 6 month driving season before the cold and salt makes for hibernating.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same exact thing I thought. But, I just paid to go back to Continental DWS Extreme Contact Plus 6 all the way round. After just 8000 miles. It just got so dangerously squirrelly everywhere when wet. On turns (as in, turning off one street from a stop to another street whether stop sign or red light and it wasn't always the same place so location didn't matter), speeding up to merge on the interstate (lost traction shifting into 2nd and 3rd), coming to a stop no matter the speed all of a sudden the ABS system would cut in as the tires just lost grip, ANY kind of negative camber or zero gravity was all kinds of hairy as the tires would just free-spin from not having the normal force applied.

Now, the dry grip was still there JUST fine. Took it through Wolf Gap Pass the day before I had the new tires put on and had a blast that nice sun shiny day. And the comfort was fine, had no issues with that. And the noise wasn't super terrible like some reviews suggested. But the wet... hoooooo boy.

Please, be very careful on those tires.

P.S. Yes, I daily drive my Sky. Well, I did till I blew an Achilles almost a month ago at work. Now I daily drive a chair with a footrest. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts