Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's done. My baby is gone. Off to a better world of primping and preening and getting the makeover to be greater than ever...

Borla Performance Industries needed to borrow a SKY to develop a new Cat-Back exhaust system, and so I volunteered mine for a couple of weeks. As hard as this may be to believe, giving up a SKY and waiting again for it to come in is actually worse this time than waiting for it to be built in the first place.

Then it was magical... Someday the great car would be here... There was the excitement of anticipation. Now, there's just a hole in the garage with a Ford Ranger parked in it where the SKY used to be.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?:confused:

At least I can take a great deal of comfort in the way that Borla is treating the car. They sent a nifty enclosed auto transporter down to my place to pick it up. It was pretty nice inside, and it was interesting to see how it was strapped down. (Photos are attached.) As my friends advised, yes - I made sure that the transporter didn't have Mexican plates on it.

If the first-class treatment that they applied to transport is any indication of the treatment that it will get in terms of a new exhaust system, it's gonna be awesome! The plan is that they are going to run it on the dynamometer stock (as it is now.) Then they will run it again with the new exuast system to see what kind of performance gain that alone delivers. Then they will run it on the dynamometer a third time after installing the OEM CAI to see if there is any additional improvement when combined with the new exhaust. I've asked for copies of the dyno charts, and if they deliver I will be sure to post them on the performance thread.

In the mean time, I'm just waiting for my baby to come back from school - a little more mature, looking special as always (only better) and with a deeper, all-growed-up growl.

When I know more, you'll know more!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Brave man, sounds like youll be getting something better in return for your wait though.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Timeframe

Did they say ABOUT how long it might take to do the job

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
jdigiant said:
Well, it's done. My baby is gone. Off to a better world of primping and preening and getting the makeover to be greater than ever...

Borla Performance Industries needed to borrow a SKY to develop a new Cat-Back exhaust system, and so I volunteered mine for a couple of weeks. As hard as this may be to believe, giving up a SKY and waiting again for it to come in is actually worse this time than waiting for it to be built in the first place.

Then it was magical... Someday the great car would be here... There was the excitement of anticipation. Now, there's just a hole in the garage with a Ford Ranger parked in it where the SKY used to be.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?:confused:

At least I can take a great deal of comfort in the way that Borla is treating the car. They sent a nifty enclosed auto transporter down to my place to pick it up. It was pretty nice inside, and it was interesting to see how it was strapped down. (Photos are attached.) As my friends advised, yes - I made sure that the transporter didn't have Mexican plates on it.

If the first-class treatment that they applied to transport is any indication of the treatment that it will get in terms of a new exhaust system, it's gonna be awesome! The plan is that they are going to run it on the dynamometer stock (as it is now.) Then they will run it again with the new exuast system to see what kind of performance gain that alone delivers. Then they will run it on the dynamometer a third time after installing the OEM CAI to see if there is any additional improvement when combined with the new exhaust. I've asked for copies of the dyno charts, and if they deliver I will be sure to post them on the performance thread.

In the mean time, I'm just waiting for my baby to come back from school - a little more mature, looking special as always (only better) and with a deeper, all-growed-up growl.

When I know more, you'll know more!
What, no pictures of you, tearfully waving bye bye? The picture of the truck driving away is something else Can't wait to see what they do. Should have someone with video documenting the process like...Monster Garage, or Orange County Chopper. :lol: :lol:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Are they planning to reprogram the car to deal with all the changes?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
You are WAY BRAVER than i.... SkyBaby-07 i would have to insist i go along.. for the ride of course...

·
Super Moderator
11,625 Posts
I watch tentitively. My baby will be down in South OC in mid June for the same treatment from Magnaflow. Will be there a week. While I can't wait, the CAI that will be sitting at my front doorstep today is going to have to wait to go on until after the car is back.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two Weeks

7-10 days was their initial estimate. I figure with overruns it will probably be gone two weekends and be back some time around the week of June 12th.

In terms of reprogramming, I assume that they will do the "make sure the power is off for 30 minutes so the computer reprograms the new flow." I will mention that to them, but this isn't just your neighborhood muffler shop - they design high-performance exhaust systems for street cars as well as racing so I would think they're more knowledgeable of such things than I am.

I have requested a dual-exit system. They certainly know my wishes in that regard. But they are going to design a system for performance first. If they can maximize performance and make a dual then I suppose they will humor me. Now that they have the car they'll be able to take a look at all the ins and outs and determine if they can actually rig a dual exit. I have my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good luck to her

Hope it is everything you want

·
Registered
202 Posts
Once you have the CAI and exhaust installed you should run it over to see Richard at Magnaflow since they are also in rancho s.m. He can custom dyno-tune your SKY to get the maximum performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
so now this begs the question:

when are you going to come up and pick up your Sky poster:)

I'm glad you are loving your Sky, and that was a very brave move!!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Magnaflow is in RSM?

I had no idea that Magnaflow was in Rancho Santa Margarita. Heck, I could WALK there! Then I'd be able to visit my baby every day...

Maybe it's better that it's all the way up in Oxnard!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Crazy Stuff

jdigiant, THIS IS ALL CRAZY STUFF!:willy:

Keep us posted on everything...I am very interested in seeing any dyno info etc...and if you get the dual outlets what they do with the rear of the Sky.

I am still not sure if I am going with Kappashere, Magnaflow or Borla...You will really be helping me out as well as others by doing this.....I will also be putting on the CAI so any info on that would be helpful as well.

MUCH MAHALOS TO YOU BRO! :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.