Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There is a garage near me that rents hoist time and tools $25 an hour for a hoist $5 for all the handtools and impact wrench. Might be worth just going there, and doing the backbone and pro-beam in an hour and be done.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I viewed my install and...how can the muffler be in the way. The muffler is in the rear end. It is just a muffler pipe...and all they do is slide the old backbone out and slide the new one in...all of you are making a simple unscrewing MASSIVE.
This may need to be qualified....I have an NA...only one engine pipe. R/L I believe is different. And I had the original DDM Backbone installed.
With a 3" exhaust there was little room to move anything to get the brace out. Of course I was also doing the Probeam and you HAVE to have the exhaust out of the way for that one so it only made sense to drop the muffler so the exhaust could come down.

There is a garage near me that rents hoist time and tools $25 an hour for a hoist $5 for all the handtools and impact wrench. Might be worth just going there, and doing the backbone and pro-beam in an hour and be done.
Oh man so worth it. Even spending $100 on a lift for four hours to do major work would be worth it. LOL Lucky...

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I was able to get the middle thickness backbone on without removing the exhaust system. But the other two went on while on the lift so it was very easy. I would rent the site Davhamm, drilling the holes for the ProBeam. I am ordering the complete set for the Cadaver Blue car. But will do it on the lift I am sure. I would not want to be laying on the ground in Michigan this time of year for any reason.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was able to get the middle thickness backbone on without removing the exhaust system. But the other two went on while on the lift so it was very easy. I would rent the site Davhamm, drilling the holes for the ProBeam. I am ordering the complete set for the Cadaver Blue car. But will do it on the lift I am sure. I would not want to be laying on the ground in Michigan this time of year for any reason.
Oh its not happening now, car is tucked away for the winter and have other pressing projects. Hell I have had the parts for over a year. Hopefully I'll get around to it this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This thread is MOOT
Mike, I think by your definition most my posts are MOOT, --- Heck A couple years of my membership here were moot since i didn't own a car yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey davhamm,

I bought a backbone last week and I live in Shelby Township. I will split the cost with you on that hoist rental this next spring when I get the car out of storage.

Just thinking....

Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
I backed mine up on ramps and used an impact gun, bolts came right out, pulled down on exhaust pipe, backbone slid right in. Whole job took 20 mins. Ramps are only $30 at harbour freight. 20v impact isnt that expensive either if you plan on using it on other projects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the backbone a week ago and I tried to maneuver past the exhaust with no luck. Had to drop the driver''s side of the muffler to get it by the exhaust. 1/4" backbone and stock exhaust. Put in the probeam (and venom brace) yesterday and no need to drop the muffler. Could get in between the muffler and crossmember with a boxend. No issues. I guess there is some variation car-to-car.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I backed mine up on ramps and used an impact gun, bolts came right out, pulled down on exhaust pipe, backbone slid right in. Whole job took 20 mins. Ramps are only $30 at harbour freight. 20v impact isnt that expensive either if you plan on using it on other projects.
Yeah, I think this is the way I am going to go in the spring... Seems to be easiest, as long as I dont back up to far.. LOL

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah, I think this is the way I am going to go in the spring... Seems to be easiest, as long as I dont back up to far.. LOL
Correction please: Didn't you mean 'too' in your sentence, "Seems to be easiest, as long as I dont back up to far.." :lol::lol::lol: (Game On)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Correction please: Didn't you mean 'too' in your sentence, "Seems to be easiest, as long as I dont back up to far.." :lol::lol::lol: (Game On)

My sig. line on another forum, "Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English."

Bad english / grammer is one thing being redundant is completely different different.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Bad english / grammer is one thing being redundant is completely different different.
Yes but the second "o" is supposed to be there. To drop it off in the name of not being redundant seems a bit extreme...of course you don't have the same gumption about the two "m"s in grammer or the two "f"s in different...

...oh...wait...that's not what you mean, huh huh? LOL ;)

·
Registered
17,460 Posts
yes but the second "o" is supposed to be there. To drop it off in the name of not being redundant seems a bit extreme...of course you don't have the same gumption about the two "m"s in grammer or the two "f"s in different...

...oh...wait...that's not what you mean, huh huh? Lol ;)
g r a m m a r....duh!

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
g r a m m a r....duh!
But we weren't talking about grammar...or spelling...or punctuation. We were talking redundancy. LOL And since he used the word "grammer" with two "m"s I was wondering where his revulsion to redundancy was there? LOL

Now excuse me while I spin off into another tangent. LOL

·
Registered
17,460 Posts
But we weren't talking about grammar...or spelling...or punctuation. We were talking redundancy. LOL And since he used the word "grammer" with two "m"s I was wondering where his revulsion to redundancy was there? LOL

Now excuse me while I spin off into another tangent. LOL
I know...but I am the spelling police....GRAMMAR not GRAMMER. That misspelling was not yours

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I know...but I am the spelling police....GRAMMAR not GRAMMER. That misspelling was not yours

But I thought you only had jurisdiction for that in New York...not Florida. LOL ;)

:lol: And for folks from New Jersey, GRAMMER was their Great Grandmother !!! :lol::lol::lol:
Ahn deh tink a hero is sommsordda samwich….

WOOF! WOOF!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Have I ever shared my story as a kid, when I looked at the ceiling and asked my mom if they knew there was an outdention in it.

She replied oh yeah that bump has been there for years.... See my mom understood me...

The point is to communicate, as long as my grhamer isn't so bad u cant understand its fine. But saying VIN number implies you don't even know what VIN stands for, and that bugs me. Probbabbly wouldn't bother me if peoplee actually said Vehicle Identification number number. well ok it would be weird and I dont think anyone would do that...

Ok, I'll crawl back under my rock, maybe I will even go physching

21 - 39 of 39 Posts