Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an '08 RL with 140k miles on it. Around spring time I noticed my coolant level would drop from max to warning light level every 200 miles or so. It's now loosing that much coolant in 100 miles. I did the obvious searches for leaking and found nothing. At this point over 2 gallons of coolant has been introduced introduced into the system from constant topping off. With no apparent leaking. Stumped, I put UV coolant dye into the cooling system. This stuff glows like cartoon radiation under UV light and sticks to everything it touches. Anyways, I did a 100 miles or so with the dye in and searched every inch of the engine bay and I still can't find the leak. I've examined the water pump thoroughly especially. No hints of leaking. Can anyone suggest any ideas?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
This is happening to me right now and I can’t find it and not a single darn shop either. I’m continuously being told, it’s fine, meanwhile bing bing low coolant every weekend.

·
Registered
556 Posts
More than likely it's the waterpump. Now, it could fail and be dumping coolant into the motor, although I've never seen it happen. Your turbo bearings could also be shot and it could be burning it in the cat/turbo, but you should see white smoke. You can also pull your passenger side IC tubing and see if there is any signs or oil/coolant. Pretty sure though that it's more than likely your WP. Look directly below the pump on the steering rack...that's where it usually drops...

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
24 Posts
I tend to agree with the out the tailpipe assessment. Had a 2000 grand am 3.4l that would use about a gallon every six months. Ended up being a leaking head gasket into cylinder 1. Not enough to cause smoke or misfiring initially. But eventually became a more major issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is happening to me right now and I can’t find it and not a single darn shop either. I’m continuously being told, it’s fine, meanwhile bing bing low coolant every weekend.
I've noticed some coolant loss as well with no signs of a leak. No where near triggering a low coolant warning, but I would mark the reservoir before driving and would notice a small loss. The Sky is not a DD for me though and I've only put about 3k miles since purchasing 8 months ago and that includes the drive back from OK after purchase. I did flush the coolant and I did have some air trapped that I ultimately remedied, but the small coolant loss was still present. I have zero signs of a leak anywhere in the engine bay, but there is a small residual odor of coolant after a drive. Usually on the turbo/exhaust side of the engine. I recently purchased a new reservoir cap since it's low hanging fruit and a faulty one could lead to some coolant loss. I haven't really driven the car though since to confirm if this worked or not. If not I'm guessing it's getting burned up somewhere and will require some more detective work to sort out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've noticed some coolant loss as well with no signs of a leak. No where near triggering a low coolant warning, but I would mark the reservoir before driving and would notice a small loss. The Sky is not a DD for me though and I've only put about 3k miles since purchasing 8 months ago and that includes the drive back from OK after purchase. I did flush the coolant and I did have some air trapped that I ultimately remedied, but the small coolant loss was still present. I have zero signs of a leak anywhere in the engine bay, but there is a small residual odor of coolant after a drive. Usually on the turbo/exhaust side of the engine. I recently purchased a new reservoir cap since it's low hanging fruit and a faulty one could lead to some coolant loss. I haven't really driven the car though since to confirm if this worked or not. If not I'm guessing it's getting burned up somewhere and will require some more detective work to sort out.
I have the same residual coolant smell. I notice it when I walk by the car in the garage after it is parked.
Bought the car in mid October. As a matter of course, had the fluids replaced and the coolant flushed and a new thermostat installed. No leaks anywhere, not even a trace of residue on the block, etc. Have had the system pressure checked and coolant checked for exhaust, all clamps checked for seepage. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I do get a slight smell when I shut the car off.
Also started with a replacement coolant overflow reservoir cap. Time will tell....

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
24 Posts
Those are all things I checked with my grand am. The leak only presents when the system is under pressure and I didn't have any exhaust present in the coolant until a larger head gasket leak developed. Check your spark plugs for any differences or white residue. If they're clean and normal, then you definitely don't have a leak into the cylinder.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the same residual coolant smell. I notice it when I walk by the car in the garage after it is parked.
Bought the car in mid October. As a matter of course, had the fluids replaced and the coolant flushed and a new thermostat installed. No leaks anywhere, not even a trace of residue on the block, etc. Have had the system pressure checked and coolant checked for exhaust, all clamps checked for seepage. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I do get a slight smell when I shut the car off.
Also started with a replacement coolant overflow reservoir cap. Time will tell....
Sounds like we're in the same boat. If it persists I may check the charge pipe for coolant residue the next time I'm taking things apart as @The_Ghost suggested. I hadn't thought it might be the turbo before. FWIW I'm at 63K miles which is entering the bad water pump purgatory area, but everything thing there is so far clean as a whistle. It seems a little low mileage for a blown gasket, but anything is possible. I did change the plugs out and they were all pretty dirty and sooty, but no signs of coolant being burned IMO.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you're smelling coolant, there's a leak. It's an air-tight system. Unfortunately many don't know what to look for with Sky/Solstice. The coolant will turn to an orange, jelly-like substance on surfaces. I didn't notice mine at first, but could smell it one afternoon after going to the dentist when I came back out to it. I drove it home and once I parked it, I found a quarter sized dot on the ground. I looked for several minutes but couldn't find the leak. I had to go the next day to the west side of the state, so I released the cap and drove it there and back without any issues. Put the cap back on tight and drove it to work the next day. Then I had a spot about the size of a dollar bill. Drove it home and drove it home hard. Got home and had another dollar sized bill spot after it cooled. Grabed the flash light and went to work finding the leak. It was a small spot, about the size of a quarter that was jellied up and orange. Took it in for service the next day and they told me it wasn't leaking. We went round and round and I told them that it was under warranty and to pressure test it. 2 hours later they called and said yep, it was the WP. A word of caution to you about driving it. People have had them fail catastrophically. Either while driving or after sitting for an hour or more. Many have come out to an enitre garage floor full of coolant. So...be careful.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're smelling coolant, there's a leak. It's an air-tight system. Unfortunately many don't know what to look for with Sky/Solstice. The coolant will turn to an orange, jelly-like substance on surfaces. I didn't notice mine at first, but could smell it one afternoon after going to the dentist when I came back out to it. I drove it home and once I parked it, I found a quarter sized dot on the ground. I looked for several minutes but couldn't find the leak. I had to go the next day to the west side of the state, so I released the cap and drove it there and back without any issues. Put the cap back on tight and drove it to work the next day. Then I had a spot about the size of a dollar bill. Drove it home and drove it home hard. Got home and had another dollar sized bill spot after it cooled. Grabed the flash light and went to work finding the leak. It was a small spot, about the size of a quarter that was jellied up and orange. Took it in for service the next day and they told me it wasn't leaking. We went round and round and I told them that it was under warranty and to pressure test it. 2 hours later they called and said yep, it was the WP. A word of caution to you about driving it. People have had them fail catastrophically. Either while driving or after sitting for an hour or more. Many have come out to an enitre garage floor full of coolant. So...be careful.
The smell is faint for me, I can't smell it at all unless I pop open the hood and put my nose right above the turbo / cat area. After finally getting the air out after the coolant flush the coolant loss is currently marginal, but I haven't driven the car for more than a few quick drives around town since. I'm familiar with dex-cool and its gelling on hot surfaces and so far no signs of it on the water pump or the surrounding areas. I've owned the car now for about 9 months and haven't had a single leak in the garage besides the AC drip. It's possible it's leaking while being driven, but I imagine there would be some blowback onto other areas since a lot of air passes under the vehicle. Personally I'm not sure which I would prefer it to be, the water pump vs a head gasket. Both seem to be mostly time driven to tear apart and put back together.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bars Stop Leak pellets work great for most tiny coolant leaks in most vehicles. The pellets are a cork-like material that float around in the cooling system and gets lodged into the leak areas via cooling system pressure. It is not a product that makes a mess of your cooling system. The coolant is not contaminated with goo and the product flushes out completely when flushing your cooling system.

I cannot say the same for the "liquid" version. I recommend only the pellets shown here.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would ever put something like this in a turbo car!!! There are too many tiny water jackets that could plug up. Bearings could seize...

Reactions: spydee99

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would ever put something like this in a turbo car!!! There are too many tiny water jackets that could plug up. Bearings could seize...
The particles are very tiny. I would not be concerned of them blocking conventional coolant passageways. But I admit I have no idea regarding the Sky Redline turbo application. How tiny are the coolant passageways?

If using the pellets and are concerned of particles being too large, I would put them in water to dissolve them into their smallest state, then add the mixture into your cooling system.

FWIW, GM placed these pellets into every Cadillac Northstar cooling system during vehicle assembly to address inherent system leaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like we're in the same boat. If it persists I may check the charge pipe for coolant residue the next time I'm taking things apart as @The_Ghost suggested. I hadn't thought it might be the turbo before. FWIW I'm at 63K miles which is entering the bad water pump purgatory area, but everything thing there is so far clean as a whistle. It seems a little low mileage for a blown gasket, but anything is possible. I did change the plugs out and they were all pretty dirty and sooty, but no signs of coolant being burned IMO.
I have no stains or residue traces anywhere. There are no drops or puddles. The only area I notice the smell is around the coolant overflow tank. Nothing on the turbo/water pump side. Plugs look fine, oil is clear.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have no stains or residue traces anywhere. There are no drops or puddles. The only area I notice the smell is around the coolant overflow tank. Nothing on the turbo/water pump side. Plugs look fine, oil is clear.
Back in the day, our 1986 Ford Taurus 3.0-V6, had a tiny coolant leak at one of the head gaskets. It found it's way down and dripped on the exhaust system. The leak evaporated rather than dripping on the ground. That was before I learned of Bar's Stop Leak.

Look around your exhaust system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Will do. I have a tunnel brace to make, cat and exhaust to replace, and probeam to install

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Bars Stop Leak pellets work great for most tiny coolant leaks in most vehicles. The pellets are a cork-like material that float around in the cooling system and gets lodged into the leak areas via cooling system pressure. It is not a product that makes a mess of your cooling system. The coolant is not contaminated with goo and the product flushes out completely when flushing your cooling system.

I cannot say the same for the "liquid" version. I recommend only the pellets shown here.
View attachment 114457
So my mechanic told me in the past they would have to put something about vegetable “pellet” into the coolant system before drain/fill and that it was GM advised. Dex cool is crap

·
Registered
340 Posts

View attachment 114457
I've always been reluctant of mechanic in a bottle fixes. I personally haven't used these, but I've seen them recommended before from various forums I've been on over the years. Enough so that there may actually be some truth to these, but the same could be said for Seafoam as well. I've seen them packaged as ACDelco before and from what I recall GM used these as the TSB to "fix" their porous aluminum block engines too. I always wondered how they worked so I googled it and from what I found, they're made of mostly ground up ginger in turns out that dissolves in the coolant. This fine powder expands when wet while exposed to air or gasses. This is how it stops fine leaks and why they shouldn't cause any issues in the coolant system unless they also have air/gas exposure. Clever. Looks like also other car manufactures used to toss these in off the assembly line back in the day too to prevent leaks for new buyers. I don't think they use these anymore, but some cars still have these as recommended with every coolant flush in their service manuals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agreed on the DexCool evaluation. Didn’t Robotech mention a substitute that will,work? Can’t remember.
what a surprise that is.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts