Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have successfully used coarse ground black pepper for a minor slow coolant leak on a 93 Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did a cruise today around the hill country and burned almost a whole tank of gas. Lots of elevation changes and plenty of twisties. Really a great drive and just before the possible snow comes in tomorrow. That being said, parked the car in the garage after. Still no signs of leaks anywhere and the coolant is still exactly at my marker dot, doesn’t look like I lost a drop. So either my coolant cap replacement worked or the Sky is toying with me. Either way I’ll be sure to keep an eye on the coolant levels going forward before I feel 100% comfortable.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I did a cruise today around the hill country and burned almost a whole tank of gas. Lots of elevation changes and plenty of twisties. Really a great drive and just before the possible snow comes in tomorrow. That being said, parked the car in the garage after. Still no signs of leaks anywhere and the coolant is still exactly at my marker dot, doesn’t look like I lost a drop. So either my coolant cap replacement worked or the Sky is toying with me. Either way I’ll be sure to keep an eye on the coolant levels going forward before I feel 100% comfortable.
Well...WP leaks can and sometimes will go away for a bit on the LNF. That's usually when they fail catastrophically later on. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well...WP leaks can and sometimes will go away for a bit on the LNF. That's usually when they fail catastrophically later on. Just keep an eye on it.
Will do. I have read enough about the WP's that I'm more than spooked on the inevitability. I have fully expected to find some sign of a leak, yet nothing. I just can't imagine if the car has lost any fluid over some point from the WP that there would still be no sign of a leak, no residue, no anything? I'll continue to monitor the coolant temps and the fluid levels and also examine any sign of leaks. I don't think I'll ever drive the car now without doing any of those, even if I inevitably change the WP.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Will do. I have read enough about the WP's that I'm more than spooked on the inevitability. I have fully expected to find some sign of a leak, yet nothing. I just can't imagine if the car has lost any fluid over some point from the WP that there would still be no sign of a leak, no residue, no anything? I'll continue to monitor the coolant temps and the fluid levels and also examine any sign of leaks. I don't think I'll ever drive the car now without doing any of those, even if I inevitably change the WP.
After the WP is changed, most have not had a second one go. If you can find an OE pump, it appears as though they put it together in 7 or 8 different pieces. There have been 7 supersessions to the part number, which usually means new iterations of the pump. The latest only appears to be 4 sections. So hopefully they've fixed the issues.... However, the Solstice and Sky are the only cars with a longitudinally mounted LNF and surprisingly are the only ones that suffer from the high failure rate of the waterpump. Thus the reason GM moved the pump to the other side for the later versions found in the CTS, ATS and Camaro was to get it away from the heat of the cat and turbo.

·
Registered
340 Posts
After the WP is changed, most have not had a second one go. If you can find an OE pump, it appears as though they put it together in 7 or 8 different pieces. There have been 7 supersessions to the part number, which usually means new iterations of the pump. The latest only appears to be 4 sections. So hopefully they've fixed the issues.... However, the Solstice and Sky are the only cars with a longitudinally mounted LNF and surprisingly are the only ones that suffer from the high failure rate of the waterpump. Thus the reason GM moved the pump to the other side for the later versions found in the CTS, ATS and Camaro was to get it away from the heat of the cat and turbo.
Understood, I've read as much. I drive about 150 - 300 miles a month max (usually less) and based off of the Carfax I have for the car, that seemed to be the case prior to my purchase as well based on the maintenance records. So fingers are crossed the WP simply doesn't see enough heat sink repetitively to be an issue. It could be another year before the Sky even sees the 65K mile mark. It could be borrowed time or it may never come who knows? It's a roulette game every time I drive I guess. I've learned over the years to leave well enough alone and I guess I'll just swap it when the time comes if it comes.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts