Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a little disconcerting to see so many people bailing out and selling their Skys (particularly for those of us waiting to receive one). I just read that both diogee and mono01 are selling theirs. Plus now, nscrbug is having a leaking roof (add this to all the other people who have had problems with the cubes in the trunk).

I am still very excited about this car, and I agree, with any gathering of a bunch of owners you will see problems discussed. Plus in the recent thread about whether you guys would buy it again, tons of people wrote in to say they loved the Sky. I just have to admit, there is something wrong with the fact that I don't want my spouse to read this forum and decide that we can't get this car after all due to the first year growing pains. Sigh, I just wanted to vent. I'm sorry to all of you who are having difficulties with your car, but I'm also really grateful that most of you still love the Sky. I still think it is the most beautiful car I have ever seen in my life, flaws and all, even if that makes it the vehicular equivalent of a high maintenance supermodel. Hmm, maybe instead of naming it Shadow, I should name it Tyra, Cindy or Naomi.:)
 

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
You know what, i have had the same concerns. If i didn't see the posts about how much people absolutely love this car, i would have had second thoughts by now. There certaintly seems to be alot of quality control issues due to cheap parts and cheap glue. It's like the movie Gung Ho when they tried to meet production numbers. :lol: But so far it seems most of the issues have been minor, albeit a few forum members had substantial problems with the rear and ac. On the other side of the coin alot of members have reported zero problems, with the exception of other drivers rubber necking at them. :lol: In the end, even after reading about the problems, i'm still totally excited about getting the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
First year glitches, yeah. Possibly big ones (drivetrain), we'll see, but doubt the total percentage will be large, if not insignificant.

I still think the high maintenance part is the frequency (ocd) owners wash their cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Funny how many of us go thru the same questions and have similar concerns, then again maybe its not so surprising when you consider that to decide to purchase this car you really have to be somewhat of a car nut as it were.

I see it this way. :) We may well have some issues:eek: . BUT Saturn and GM have wayyyyyy tooooo much at stake not to make us happy campers:cool: , which I know we will be. :thumbs: Hang in there...one thing about still waiting.....issues are getting fixed every day by QC..who knows, by waiting we may actually get rewarded.......sorry folks without seat adjusters.....:lol: Ok ok I don't mean that, were all winners me thinks!:D even if some of our seats will go up and down with a :crazy: ...buzzzzzzzzzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Hang in there........

When Diana and I went for the drive the other day....and I got out to take the pictures I was struck (even after having the car for almost 3 weeks now) how beautiful it is....this car is so worth it! :cool:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
If it's any consolation, by the time my '79 Triumph Spitfire had this many miles I had replaced the crankshaft (due to a loose fan belt pully application at the factory), the clutch (shattered), the voltage regulator (fried), the rear axle (came loose at the U-joint) and the master cylinder for the brake systems (leaked to dry). I did not bother reporting the other "trivial" problems like the split in the headliner on the removable hard top or the fact that the snaps on the car and soft convertible top did not line up. That was after all the "refinement" of a decade-and-a-half of production.

So far, on the SKY, I have had the one chrome decorative strip on the door sill come up, and I noticed a few drops of leaking fluid under my differential.

Night and day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I just don't understand this. Who has EVER had a perfect car from day one? No trim needing re-glued or rattling? Some unidentified noise? I LOVE this car and have not had any REAL problems. Reglue my trim and I'm a happy camper. You couldn't get my SKY away from me if you tried!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
Come on out Sat and check the build quality on all the Skys and Sols that show.
Bet you won't find or hear much out of a fully representative but random sample.
Just come a bit late so we have time to reverse our visors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Problems...

Yes... Every car wether old or new has problems. Actually that statement goes for anything mass produced. Hopefully they fix the bugs and all is well. I traded in a Honda Element (2003, its 1st year) for my Sky. The Element, remember this IS a Honda I am talking about, had a leaky head gasket, a screaching belt that they continuously added dressing to to make it stop instead of actually fixing the problem...a rocking seat that was never fixed with the correct part and a rattl ein the dash that started in the right side and ended somewhere in the middle. It sounded like a pencil rolling right to left. Also had metal pieces on the outside rust like no other. A lot of element owners also had windshields that would crack for no reason, which Honda later found the culprit. hell, my car had overspray on the driver mirror and in the door jam, an obvious oopsy coverup either at the factory or at the dealership..... ok enough venting....I am confident that Saturn will take care of its owners....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Love my Sky:) I have not had any problems. I did not get the XM radio I wanted but stereo is XM-Ready and I will add XM when GM makes the Sky specific tuner. Those little cubes in the trunk drainage area are no big deal - just sew them in place with needle and heavy thread.
I have not had the squeaks and rattles others describe, just a little wind noise where soft top and window comes together by the door lock (stereo drowns this out well). I must have gotten a Sky built on a Wednesday.:rolleyes:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
DonnasSky said:
I just don't understand this. Who has EVER had a perfect car from day one? No trim needing re-glued or rattling? Some unidentified noise? I LOVE this car and have not had any REAL problems. Reglue my trim and I'm a happy camper. You couldn't get my SKY away from me if you tried!
I'm not sure: do you not understand my concern, or do you not understand why people are selling their cars? I'm not complaining, I'm saying I still want to buy this car. But you have to admit, it is a bit odd that people are trying to get rid of a car that so many other people are dying to get into. I'm not asking for perfection, and I'm very glad you love your car. But I think if you read nscrbug's thread you will see they are VERY irritated with a leaky roof that is more than a minor flaw, albeit one that it not common amongst Sky owners. I still want this car, flaws and all, but I don't feel comfortable seeing so many other people's troubles and attempts to sell. But yes, I am a worrier at heart, my spouse has already told me to chill out about this. So you are right, and I wish you happy and safe driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
There are 1395 members on this forum and 2 people are talking about selling their car, not a big percentage. Problems, yeah there are some, but Saturn will fix them. This is the only car I ever bought where the company has called me and asked what I thought about the car and if I had any problems or suggestions on what to improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
People are selling them to make the quick buck:willy: I think a lot of people got caught in all the hipe and bought a SKY for everyday use then decided they needed more room etc. Just like the guy who had a truck them bought a SKY and then traded it in on another truck?

I think is funny that people complain that Saturn dealers have tried to mark them up and they get raked over the coals yet someone buys one today and it's on EBAY tomorrow for more than sticker!:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I've had my car over 3 months now, I dont post here much anymore because the excitement of getting the car has worn off. Now i'm doing less reading and posting about my Sky and more driving it. I've not had any major problems, and I love the car as much as I did the first day I saw her. You may see problems being posted here and people selling their SKY's on occasion, but there are probably a lot of people like me who received their cars and are having no problems at all, and just aren't posting much now. It's a great car, don't get discouraged, you will love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Ken said:
Yes... Every car wether old or new has problems. Actually that statement goes for anything mass produced. Hopefully they fix the bugs and all is well. I traded in a Honda Element (2003, its 1st year) for my Sky. The Element, remember this IS a Honda I am talking about, had a leaky head gasket, a screaching belt that they continuously added dressing to to make it stop instead of actually fixing the problem...a rocking seat that was never fixed with the correct part and a rattl ein the dash that started in the right side and ended somewhere in the middle. It sounded like a pencil rolling right to left. Also had metal pieces on the outside rust like no other. A lot of element owners also had windshields that would crack for no reason, which Honda later found the culprit. hell, my car had overspray on the driver mirror and in the door jam, an obvious oopsy coverup either at the factory or at the dealership..... ok enough venting....I am confident that Saturn will take care of its owners....
Ken you mention that the 2003 Element has a cracking windshield. i took mine into the dealership and he told me it had been hit with a stone. I said no it hasn't. It looks like a stress crack. We ended the conversation there and I haven't fixed it yet. Is there info on this somewhere that I could confront the dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
jdigiant said:
If it's any consolation, by the time my '79 Triumph Spitfire had this many miles I had replaced the crankshaft (due to a loose fan belt pully application at the factory), the clutch (shattered), the voltage regulator (fried), the rear axle (came loose at the U-joint) and the master cylinder for the brake systems (leaked to dry). I did not bother reporting the other "trivial" problems like the split in the headliner on the removable hard top or the fact that the snaps on the car and soft convertible top did not line up. That was after all the "refinement" of a decade-and-a-half of production.

So far, on the SKY, I have had the one chrome decorative strip on the door sill come up, and I noticed a few drops of leaking fluid under my differential.

Night and day.
Not to mention that my Austin Healey had an electrical system by Lucas. We affectionately called Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" with good reason....

I agree with the others that things will be made good. The Sky is the most gorgeous car on the road today. I'll stay with it.

I wonder how many folks giving up the roadster is because they really didn't know what to expect from a two seater. This is my third roadster and there were no size and limitation surprises as a result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
You'll get my SKY from me when you pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers. I love this car, she is a mini vacation, she says drive me, it is good every day. She says, "Hey, this is why there is a SKY so, you can put my top down and look at me".I still have to plan an extra ten minutes whereever I go because people want to know, "What is that?" I have taken my soon to be divorced friend on a ride and she felt better. Come on...this is a Sky, Sky the country, have fun. Saturn will fix! I put a deposit on this car sight unseen and have not been sorry one day!!! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
stacib said:
I'm not sure: do you not understand my concern, or do you not understand why people are selling their cars?
I guess it's really both! :)

You mentioned you don't want your spouse reading this and not letting you get the car. I just meant that no car is perfect, and most of us think this car is closer than most. Let him read....he'll mostly read glowing remarks and just a handful of complaints. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I did read NSCRBUG's post and admit I would be quite upset too, but I would definitely let my dealer fix the problem. If they couldn't, or wouldn't for whatever reason, I MIGHT consider something drastic.......but I can't even imagine my dealer not making things right. One of the reasons I'm so glad it's a Saturn.

I'm very happy you still want the car. You will LOVE IT. You said you are a worrier and I know how that is. This is my only vehicle.....and I would still tell you the odds are on your side......GO FOR IT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Make no mistake about it. This car is something special. There maybe a few problems here and there, its only its 1st year. Your gonna love this car.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Don't worry Stacib. Hopefully by the time you get your car the bugs should be worked out at the factory. It's the small price we pay for getting a first year production. I think once we get our cars and start :driving: we'll forget all about the :brentil:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top