Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a ball joint separator for the forward lower control arms? I have used a pickle fork to the point I fear damage to the boot and have marked up the arm. Beat on it with a hammer, etc. I cannot get the typical separator tools to work because they are either too short or have interference issues. Don’t really care to spend too much on a toll at least until I am confident it will work. In the end I am only doing this because I bent the dust shield and it hits the rotor. I can’t seem to bend it back because the LCA limits me.

·
Super Moderator
5,557 Posts
To do the rears I bought a too-small one at Advance and then ground out the inside to fit. It worked quite well. It won't be until tonight but I can check for a part number, or take a picture.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Harbor freight.com

In the search type in PULLER

I just bought a couple tools from them to help with my brothers cars

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the tie rod and upper arm ball joints with a “pickle fork” no problem, but I not the bottom. I borrowed two other tools from O’Rielly’s (that are like gear pullers). One is two short and the other interferes with the spindle so that I cannot engage the bolt. I bought a different one from Northern tool, but it’s too short, too.
I bought a cantilever type at Harbor Frieght, but it’s too short. The span has to be about 2.5 inches. I found some online, that might work, but thought surely someone here already knows what will and will not work. Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Depending on whether the joint you want to undo is accessible from both side, a neat way to do it without a puller is to hit each side of the joint simultaneously from both sides with a couple of heavy hammer - distorts the metal jut enough to break the bond and release it, if you do it right. Takes a bit of practice but handy when you can't find the pickle fork etc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To follow up.... I purchased a Scwaben 20-80 mm Ball Joint Separator for $66.
It did the trick. Had to use a torque wrench (for leverage) when it finally released it sounded like a gunshot! Bad news is that I had ripped the boot earlier with the pickle fork. The local dealer could not find a control arm, so I started looking for used ones. Then I changed my search to “Solstice” and (amazingly) found a new one. Next, do I have the guts to replace the control arm bushings with the poly I have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts