Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I got home saturday, my sister from Indy called and said that my older sister had suffered a brain anurism? and was flown to a hospital in Indy in critical condition. I called an airline and I wouldnt get to Indy untill Sunady evening. So I packed up the Redline and off I went. After about 9 hours of driving, I attempted to pass a car, and the Redline just bogged down. I tried again and the same thing. I let it slow down to about 55mph and tried again, and off it went. It happened several hous later...the same thing. Except for that; it ran fine the whole trip 989 miles and I used only 93 octain.

Yesterday while I took a break from the hospital, I took it in to Saturn Of Indy. The people there were fantastic. They had not seen a Redline befor. The Sr Tech checked out my car and said it had thrown 3 codes. One for the 4th cylinder had misfired and the other 2 was not listed in the database so he had to call the Tech center. As it turned out the other code was that the car was running to rich and the other was that a wire had become loose. They reflashed the computer and replaced a wire ( don't know what or where ). I have been in several Saturn dealerships through the years and I have never seen a shop so clean and organized as the one in Indy. The detail guy washed and detailed my car just like they would prep for for a new delivery. Got every bug off! That was amazing!
While on the road, the car got lots of attention. Cars and trucks would come up as to pass, see it, then slow down then would get even with me and then slowly pulled ahead and turn their heads back to see the front. The most annoying part of this, is that alot of people would stay at my left rear side just to watch it. Last nite will going back to my sisters house in Shelbyville; I had passed a group of 18 wheelers and as I got back into a lane the lead truck came up on me and road my but for a half a mile. I assumed he was attempting to see what type of car it was..then he pulled back.
A interesting story while I was driving in Ky. A Crossfire came up behind me as I was passing a line of cars. He came out of no where. He got behind me and began flashing his light's at me. I was running 80 mph at that time. I pulled to the right and he got even with me. The passenger was looking at me but the driver didn't. He accelerated and the race was on. I caught up with him in less than 5 seconds and passed him like he was standing still. I looked down at my speed and I was at 140 mph and boost was at 18 psi. I couldn't believe that I went to that speed in less than 5 seconds from 80 mph. The Crossfire gave up. When I realized he had pulled to the right, I slowed down to the speed limit. He made his way up to me and rolled down his passenger side window and gave a thumbs up.

Well, enough for now. I've got to get ready to spend another day at the hospital. I hate that part. I will check back tonite when I get back. Everyone have a great day. See Ya!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Great story about the redline. Sorry to learn of your sister. There has been great progress made in treating an aneurysm if treatment is received early.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My prayers are with you Barry!

·
Registered
745 Posts
How long in Indy

Sorry to here about your sister hopefully they got to it quick. If your in for a while, I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Your baby could visit one its cousins my Bluestone Redline. These are just super cars the power is incredible.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Barry,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and especially your sister. My sister had a cranial anurism and is doing fine now. I hope your sister's recovery is similar. Hang in there the hospital vigils are hard...great story about the Indy dealer...good to hear...of course blowing away a Crossfire is a great highlight.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Barry;116862 I caught up with him in less than 5 seconds and passed him like he was standing still. I looked down at my speed and I was at 140 mph and boost was at 18 psi. I couldn't believe that I went to that speed in less than 5 seconds from 80 mph. The Crossfire gave up. [/quote said:
Remember, 140 mph is only theoretical! Don't want everyone thinking any of us would actually run our Sky's that fast!:lol:

Really sorry to hear about your sister. Hope she's ok. You take care and drive safely back to FL.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Remember street racing and other illegal activities are not allowed here.
The only racing is on a track.
If the situation would have happened with the crossfire as your fictional story said, that would have been pretty nice. However, speeding IS illegal.

I hope you sister does well, I will keep her and you in my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree:

I hoipe your sister comes out OK from all this!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember street racing and other illegal activities are not allowed here.
The only racing is on a track.
If the situation would have happened with the crossfire as your fictional story said, that would have been pretty nice. However, speeding IS illegal.

I hope you sister does well, I will keep her and you in my thoughts.
Of course, fictional:jester:

·
Registered
108 Posts
speed limiter

OK, another question for those in the know. Does the 2.4 or 2.0 have speed limiters set in the ECM? I thought that was something in all vehicles. Something about not exceeding the speed rating on of the OEM tires.
Please don't bust my chops,:nono: just dont know and have no intention on going out and trying to find out.:thumbs: :grouphug:

snagger
South Carolina Silver Sky

·
Registered
87 Posts
don't let the dealer do anything else to the car.........they are going to create more problems.......the situation you describe is exactly why the turbos were placed on hold for 2 weeks.....when you are driving at normal speeds for an extended period of time condensation builds up in the bottom of the intercooler........then when you floor it some of the condensation is being sucked upward into the turbo which in turn makes the motor cough or hesitate......currently the turbos are scheduled to start back in full production on October 9th (Monday) so they must have fixed the problem and I am sure they will be contacting the dealers for the fix........this problem is occuring because the intercooler is performing so well........it is really cooling the air quick and on a humid day condensation forms......i have not heard what the fix is but I will try and find out but in the mean time just try and drive "normal" as hard as that may be.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
when you are driving at normal speeds for an extended period of time condensation builds up in the bottom of the intercooler........then when you floor it some of the condensation is being sucked upward into the turbo which in turn makes the motor cough or hesitate.
I was under the impression the turbo was before the intercooler with pressure pushing away from the turbo not towards it, if that's the case the condensation is being drawn straight in to the cylinders diluting the gas mixture causing the cough? my 2cents

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey Barry, I know the RedlineForums guys are talking about getting together while you're up here, but in case I don't make it for that (or it doesn't happen at all), will you be travelling home by I-75? We live in Cincy now, and would love to catch up with you, even if it's just for 30 minutes, to see the Redline. In case you don't specifically remember me, I have the 'Superman' IRL with the STC group. We met at The Dive during last summers big STC meet there. Shoot me a PM if you'll have time to meet up for a few minutes!

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
The inter in intercooler is because it is between the turbo and the engine. Just a detail. Its purpose is to remove some of the heat that compressing the air adds to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"I looked down at my speed and I was at 140 mph and boost was at 18 psi. I couldn't believe that I went to that speed in less than 5 seconds from 80 mph."

Then you theoritically/fictionally woke up. (-%

tino

1 - 20 of 22 Posts