Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Sky RL battery draws down I have checked all fuses and starter and alternator any ideas?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You sure it's not just a bad battery that's self discharging?

To verify, (turn off the car) disconnect the lead at the red block beside the underhood fuse block and put a multimeter in the 10A current reading config between the lead and the stud. Leave that hooked up and go away for 20mins to wait for the anti-drain cutoff to kick in. If the car is well, you should see less than 20mA draw (with occasional periodic spikes). If you see more than that, your car DOES have a problem. Start pulling fuses until the excess load goes away. (Note that any interruption in the circuit may kick out the anti-drain and you'll have to wait another 15-20mins for it to set again before checking the current. This will include opening the doors, so leave them closed throughout.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm positive about battery. Will reply when I can get chance to check with meter. I did what you suggested with test light meter not working. Thanks

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
My 07 Ion had a door switch go bad a few years ago. Kept draining OEM battery, swapped in a new battery, and kept draining it. Turns out the bad door switch was leaving electrical systems on. A new one fixed everything. Probably could have gotten another few years out of the OEM battery. Man... Saturns are built to last.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been that way for the four years I have owned the car, I replaced the battery a few weeks after purchase. Heres what I know. I don't drive the car much, if it sits for more than five days I have a drained battery. Leaving a phone charger plugged in will drain the battery in two days. If I run the car every three or four days, no problem. I guess it has a short somewhere, but I have never figured it out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Been that way for the four years I have owned the car, I replaced the battery a few weeks after purchase. Heres what I know. I don't drive the car much, if it sits for more than five days I have a drained battery. Leaving a phone charger plugged in will drain the battery in two days. If I run the car every three or four days, no problem. I guess it has a short somewhere, but I have never figured it out.
Do what TomatoSoup suggested, in my case after pulling the radio fuse the drain stopped.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Are you constantly "bothering" the car during those 5 days? Are you opening and closing doors, starting it to move it??? If so, this is your issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts