Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sky Redline - Manual - Emerald Metallic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the new battery tenders/chargers come with a short plug cable with ring terminals. This allows you to securely connect this cable to the battery terminals and utilize the plug to connect the charger.

I wanted to be able to connect the charger without opening the hood.
Decided to install a water proof connector plug on the windshield wiper panel.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Easy and simple connection access for the battery tender. No holes in body panels and no opening the hood.
STEP-1 Remove Wipers
Purchase a battery terminal/wiper arm puller. $12 on Amazon.

Remove the plastic nut caps from the arm base. Remove the nut. Use the puller to release the arm.
Note: I was very surprised at how hard the arms were the release! Really glad I had that tool.
STEP-2 Remove Cowling
The plastic air intake cowling below the windshield is held down with 7mm screws and push pins (Christmas trees).
Font Line Display device Output device Rectangle

The push pins come out easily an can be re-used when removed with this tool.
Utilizing a screwdriver will usually damage the pin and scratch surfaces.
Tool Office ruler Line Font Office supplies

WARNING!!
There are TWO push pins to be careful of. These are at the bottom of the windshield pillar behind the door on each side.
Open the doors and you will see them.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

STEP-3 Free the Cowling
There are several clips along the top edge of the cowling. These engage with the bottom of the windshield glass. Work/pull the cowling down from the windshield. Do not remove the cowling completely. The windshield washer line is still connected. You have plenty of freedom to manipulate the plastic cowling once freed of the windshield.

STEP-4 Install Plug
Locate where to drill the hole for the plug. I located mine on the battery side close to one of the windshield clips on a raised portion of the cowling. This is to insure clearance under the cowling to prevent pinching the connector cable. Also, locating near a windshield clip (circled in picture) provides a stable support for the plug when you are pushing the Tender Cable on.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

STEP-5 Run the Cable
The cable/connectors will fit neatly behind the Hood Latch buttress above the battery.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

STEP-6 Reinstall Cowling
This is a good time to clean this hidden area. I lined up the cowling and then worked the windshield clips back under the windshield glass bottom edge. Next the 7mm screws went back in. That was followed by the push pins.

STEP-7 Celebrate!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire

ADDITIONAL NOTES

Harbor Freight Battery Tender/Charger
Viking 4 Amp Microprocessor Controlled
$37.99

Amazon Water Proof Plug ~$20
Audio equipment Font Packaging and labeling Sleeve Advertising

End

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several members on the Solstice Forum asked what the push pin tool is.
Harbor Freight "Panel Clip Pliers" PITTSBURGH #63699, 67399 $8.99
I got mine in a trim removal kit on Amazon ~$20
Strobe

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Nice work and writeup. I hope I never need it though!

One caution for Step 3: The clips are quite easy to break, so it is critical to pull the cowl down in line with the glass, and not out in line with the wiper shafts until the clips are completely clear of the glass, and then to be equally careful during the replacement.

Breaking one of the clips will result in a nasty buzz/rattle sound at speed because the weather strip is no longer in hard contact with the glass and it will vibrate in the slipstream of air.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Really nice write up !! I use this 2 amp battery maintainer from Homey Depot for $25...... I just leave the passenger window open 1/8" for the cord and just plug into the cigarette lighter outlet next to the stereo..... battery is charged with no mods whatsoever..... simplest thing I could find.....
Schumacher 6-Volt or 12-Volt, 2 Amp Automotive Battery Charger-BE01248 - The Home Depot
Definitely a simple way to do it but I have seen crud and/or critters being able to get into the car through that small gap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pictures after mod. Cleaned up and ready to run.
Strobe
Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Hood
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts