Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay,

We all heard about the fact we should not close the hood when the doors are open as it can cause paint damage to the doors... here are some other recommendations I have come across:

1. BE VERY CAREFUL PULLING IN TO PARKING SPOTS: I already forgot once HOW LOW this car is... it will happily roll right in to any cement parking barrier or curb. I have some nice scratches (granted almost completely out of sight) on the bottom of my front end now thanks to this.

2. Leave the latch undone on the convertible top when you put it away

3. Press the top in firmly and uniformly from the center when placing it to the trunk. Also lift and raise the roof from the center. Also, be mindful of the pins on the roof - do not lift the roof UP when you unlatch it you may tear the windshield gasket (push the roof straight back). When shutting the roof make sure the pins are aligned properly under the gasket and resting above the plastic notches. (THANKS RICHM)

4. You can protect your weather stripping on the roof if you lower the windows an inch or two before you put the top down

5. Remember to never close the engine hood with either of the doors open. Apparently there is some ever so slight chance of Hood and Door connection. SkyBaby's Experiment with this proved that apparently its not as likely to occur as we originally believed, but still be warned. (THANKS MARKLYNN)

6. Slants and steep grades in parking garages, driveways, and steep parking lot entrances can hurt the bottom of your low lying Sky. Be sure to go easy, slow, and at an angle. If possible see if there is an alternate entrance that is more shallow. (THANKS SKYWOLF AND ERNEST)

7. Be care when cleaning your dashboard - specifically the Radio's orange plastic LED screen lens. It can scratch very easily or leave small swirls in the plastic. Avoid using abrasive material or products on this to keep it sheer and shiny. I recommend using a LCD microfiber dust cloth similiar to this.

8. You should never push anywhere on the humps. Pushing in any place on the humps can cause them to dent inwards. The only official place GM recommends pushing the trunk lid is from the center top between the humps. (THANKS BRENTIL)

9. Be mindful of the tires when you put your top down/up and you have a wet tire product applied to your car. I have a tendency to lean in over the trunk in order to get a better hold on the center of the roof and your pants/shorts can rub against the tires and leave nasty stains.

OKAY -- now you all can add YOUR recommendations to help all of us avoid any pitfalls, scrapes, or oops moments with our Skys...

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Remember to never close the engine hood with either of the doors open. Apparently there is some ever so slight chance of Hood and Door connection.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
BE careful in parking garages. Grades are bad for cars like this. My buddy has a Porsche and he has taken out the front end of his convertable 911 more than once, and the Sky and this car have similar front ends with regard to height above-ground.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the Watch out fors!

1994SC2 said:
Okay,

We all heard about the fact we should not close the hood when the doors are open as it can cause paint damage to the doors... here are some other recommendations I have come across:

Thanks, this is what the forum is for. Sky owners helping & supporting Sky owners. Great info!! Printed it out and will add to my remember list.
Diana

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunny Ragtop said:
1994SC2 said:
Okay,

Thanks, this is what the forum is for. Sky owners helping & supporting Sky owners. Great info!! Printed it out and will add to my remember list.
Diana
Thanks,

When we get a good list together I plan to combine them all and make an edit of the first post for easier access as well.

~Jon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks For The Info Hope You Enyoy Your New Ride. Can't Wait To Get Mine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
3. Press the top in firmly and uniformly from the center

I thought that doing that would push in the center of the trunk, and that you were supposed to push down equally on the two humps?:confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
marklynn70 said:
Remember to never close the engine hood with either of the doors open. Apparently there is some ever so slight chance of Hood and Door connection.
the doors need to either be fully open to the last stop or fully closed....
the top he was talking about was the cloth top when you store it in the trunk to press firmly in the center...
When closing the trunk at any time be sure you do it from the front edge of the trunk and not from anywhere else on the sheetmetal, the edges are the most re-enforced area and you will not damage the sheetmetal by firmly closing it from there.I usually yse the very peak of one of the humps right at the front edge.... and firmly I mean firmly close it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah what he said ...

Sorry I wasnt more detailed in my above post.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You are right on the money, Ernest. My driveway is a 10% grade and I must pull in and out at a 90 degree angle or else.....:banghead:

Also, WATCH SPEED BUMPS!! Take them slow or at an angle:thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
And don't forget NCBlues experience. Make sure your mechanic is careful about jacking the car up or you might end up with holes in the car that you weren't expecting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Okay,

1. BE VERY CAREFUL PULLING IN TO PARKING SPOTS: I already forgot once HOW LOW this car is... it will happily roll right in to any cement parking barrier or curb. I have some nice scratches (granted almost completely out of sight) on the bottom of my front end now thanks to this.

2. Leave the latch undone on the convertible top when you put it away

3. Press the top in firmly and uniformly from the center

4. You can protect your weather stripping on the roof if you lower the windows an inch or two before you put the top down

OKAY -- now you all can add YOUR recommendations to help all of us avoid any pitfalls, scrapes, or oops moments with our Skys...

The front is very low. Conversely, try not hitting any dips in the road too fast. Your Sky will love you for it. Sadly though, many of us will experience that awlful front end scrap at least once.............:cool:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ernest said:
Enter slanted uphill driveways at an angle to avoid scraping. same on exit!!!
Yepper!!!! Don't scrape your purty baby!

·
Registered
311 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
the doors need to either be fully open to the last stop or fully closed....
the top he was talking about was the cloth top when you store it in the trunk to press firmly in the center...
Oops! Gotcha! Thanks!:thumbs:

·
Registered
295 Posts
SkyRaider said:
The front is very low. Conversely, try not hitting any dips in the road too fast. Your Sky will love you for it. Sadly though, many of us will experience that awlful front end scrap at least once.............:cool:

We need to put hydraulics on 'em. Jump up and down at red lights and such, and raise 'er up for graded driveways and such.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about my sloping driveway.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts