Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Nubie with his first post. Just got my Redline a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. The only thing I'm not in love with is how much air comes in the cockpit even with my wind deflector in place. I have the OEM mesh version, the "flyswatter" as it seems to be called. I've searched the forum but can't find a discussion on which style wind deflector is better. Has anyone evaluated how well the solid version like the Windrestrictor works vs. the mesh? I see there's a lot of discussion about aesthetics between the two, but that's not my concern. I just want to know that if I spend the money for the WR that I'm actually going to get a noticeable reduction in wind over my mesh.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will see a substantial reduction in the back draft heading through your cockpit. Also, our bracketing system will eliminate the shaking and constant rattling you get with a lot of the other models. If you have any further questions please email me ( [email protected]) or pm me here. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have no info on the flyswatter unit, so can't give you any comparison details.

However, we bought the bottom priced unit from Wind Restrictor (velcro attaches, no lighting), put it on in December and noticed a difference right away. It has never been taken off.

I didn't want to get into any wiring issues or drilling holes, and I liked the fact it would stay in place with top going up. We are very happy with it. (engraving is: Driving Topless ... gets a lot of comments)

·
7,067 Posts
Greetings all. Nubie with his first post. Just got my Redline a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. The only thing I'm not in love with is how much air comes in the cockpit even with my wind deflector in place. I have the OEM mesh version, the "flyswatter" as it seems to be called. I've searched the forum but can't find a discussion on which style wind deflector is better. Has anyone evaluated how well the solid version like the Windrestrictor works vs. the mesh? I see there's a lot of discussion about aesthetics between the two, but that's not my concern. I just want to know that if I spend the money for the WR that I'm actually going to get a noticeable reduction in wind over my mesh.
Your better off with a Hat, these wind deflectors do very little in stopping the wind from wiping in from the back. I own two of these WindRestrictor product and they mostly in use as bling..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love my Windrestrictor

I have tried both WR on and off and it does reduce the wind and noise in cockpit considerably. I have a lighted one with custom design and it gives a great appeal to the car especially at night. There was no drilling need to add the lighting and it was a very quick easy install. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

·
7,067 Posts
I have tried both WR on and off and it does reduce the wind and noise in cockpit considerably. I have a lighted one with custom design and it gives a great appeal to the car especially at night. There was no drilling need to add the lighting and it was a very quick easy install. You won't be disappointed.
Sure your right! :rolleyes:

As I said in my last post, "wind deflectors do very little in stopping the wind from wiping in from the back."
If no wind entering the back was 0%
and all the wind entering the back was 100%
I rate MY Wind Restrictors at 85% wind that still is entering through the rear... IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I said in my last post, "wind deflectors do very little in stopping the wind from wiping in from the back."
If no wind entering the back was 0%
and all the wind entering the back was 100%
I rate MY Wind Restrictors at 85% wind that still is entering through the rear... IMHO
You do realize that the vehicle is a convertible???....yes there is wind in the cockpit but a 15-25% decrease is a ton. I have driven both ways and love the WR way.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
A 15% decrease is substantial.

GMPP/Trifecta tunes gives you a 15% increase in HP and everyone raves about them. Most will tell you it's the biggest single improvement you can do to the car without swapping out a turbo. By comparison, a High Flow cat results in about a 7.5% increase in power and that is considered a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a windrestrictor on my solstice, it looked very nice and reduce the noise and air in the cabin.

·
7,067 Posts
My point is: These sellers on eBay selling these wind blockers (some at very high prices) make it sound like once you install one on your car its going to turn it into a vacuum tube..
For example they would say: Total cuts off back draft, your hair will stay in place at all times or A substantial reduction in back draft.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I have the fly swatter, which I used for about 3 months. I never really noticed a difference with it on. Really did not like the look at all. Installed the WR and found that I felt a difference in the air passing through. I would not say it totally quiets the cockpit, but it does make it quieter for me. But in honesty, I bought mine for the look, the graphics and options WR gave me.

A group of good people that have stood with the Kappa cars since their inception. Provided the trophies for our recent National. Actions speak louder than words, and WR has always stepped up to the table for this group. For me that is enough to recommend them over other products. Plus Ashlee is about the nicest, friendliest person I have ever met.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
I've never had a WR but it is on my list (body work and engine work take priority...sorry WR. LOL) but my whole reason for getting it is to reduce the turbulence in the car with the top down so my Girlfriend doesn't get whipped in the face with her own hair.

Marvic, I would say someone saying it "totally" cuts off back draft is more than a little sensational but if you say you noticed a 15% difference, I would say that qualifies as a substantial reduction.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just installed my WR this spring and I would admit that I don't notice much difference over the "flyswatter" model that came with the car. I do think that the WR looks much cooler, I can leave the top up or down and I love the fact that I have an "extra" brake light!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have had my WR for a while now, and it does make a difference. Does it eliminate the wind totally? No, but then again you don't WANT the wind gone totally. Otherwise, why drive a convertible? The 2 things you can do to make the most difference in wind reduction is 1. get a WR and 2. leave the windows up. The combination of those 2 makes a very big difference. You still get wind across the top of your head, but it is vastly reduced. I would say in the 70% range, compared to windows down and no WR at all. The most difference you will see will be at a high speed.

As far as choices on the market for the BEST... Well, best is relative. If you want cheap, then yes there are several products on the market that do not cost as much as a WR. But really, isn't the customer experience part of what you are paying for? I'd say so. In that case, you won't find an option close to as good out there than WR. When I got my WR and Door Sills made, they bent over backwards to help me. And believe me, I was picky. They probably wanted to toss the computer through the window but they were completely polite and professional throughout. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone who is looking for one of the products they sell, and wish they would expand their line so I could have some options for other products.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
I have had my WR for a while now, and it does make a difference. Does it eliminate the wind totally? No, but then again you don't WANT the wind gone totally. Otherwise, why drive a convertible? The 2 things you can do to make the most difference in wind reduction is 1. get a WR and 2. leave the windows up. The combination of those 2 makes a very big difference. You still get wind across the top of your head, but it is vastly reduced. I would say in the 70% range, compared to windows down and no WR at all. The most difference you will see will be at a high speed.
And that makes sense. If you want to eliminate the wind totally, raise the roof and roll up the windows. If you want the sun but not that much wind, top down windows up and WR on. Want wind but want to cut it down some, windows down and WR on. Full wind. everything down.

And that kind of jives with what most people have told me about their WRs.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Robo, it will not stop the hair blowing, the other half wears a bling ball cap and some kind of fancy rubber band, when ever we drive the car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts