Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
7,063 Posts
A group of good people that have stood with the Kappa cars since their inception. Provided the trophies for our recent National. Actions speak louder than words, and WR has always stepped up to the table for this group. For me that is enough to recommend them over other products. Plus Ashlee is about the nicest, friendliest person I have ever met.
:wtf: If you read carefully you would of notice that I'm taking about an object or a device and it's claims not a company that makes or distributes Wind Blockers, so please stop your brown nosing, again!

I've never had a WR but it is on my list (body work and engine work take priority...sorry WR. LOL) but my whole reason for getting it is to reduce the turbulence in the car with the top down so my Girlfriend doesn't get whipped in the face with her own hair.
First of all, a wind blocker is not going to help with stopping your Girlfriend hair from slapping her beautiful face believe me, I had nice groomed women enter my passenger side and after a few minute drive they come out looking like the bride of Frankenstein...
You can find over 50 videos from these sellers as to how nice their Wind Blockers are and calming that it will give you a substantial reduction in the back draft heading through your cockpit. But you will not find one video from them proving the amount of Wind blocking, amazing..

Marvic, I would say someone saying it "totally" cuts off back draft is more than a little sensational but if you say you noticed a 15% difference, I would say that qualifies as a substantial reduction.
BTW - Googles Meaning of Substantial: Large in amount, size, or number. 15% of 100 is not a "substantial" amount..
($250 for a wind blocker is a "substantial" amount of money for a plastic that stops only 15% reduction of turbulence in the cockpit)

·
7,063 Posts
Looks like you been communicating with the comic book legend 'Rob the Elder' for to long, your using his corny quotes that he used on MarlboroMike. Or are you Kissing-his-Bud also for some free Punisher bumper stickers..... :x
Wipe the brown stains off your noise, kissfan I mean skirtfan..

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
Easy now boys. No need to make this person and it goes for both ya'll.

As for the wind slapping issue...crap. I figure with that and the windows up it would kill most of that.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
I have found that the only way any wind blocking device makes an appreciable difference is to have the windows up. Since my personal aesthetic opinion is that convertibles with the windows up look bad, I have passed on installing anything designed to block the wind in my Sky. Other people have clearly had different perceptions of effectiveness and others have different opinions about having the windows up, so there is no black-and-white answer.

While a 15% improvement in some things (eg: power or braking distance) is valuable, a 15% reduction other things may not be. Reducing the wind in the cockpit 15% does not eliminate or appreciably change the need for something to control the occupants' hair, but may improve the efficiency of the HVAC enough to matter.

All that said, WindRestrictor makes a quality product and they are a great company to work with. If you do decide to buy one you can't do better than buying it from them.

·
7,063 Posts
Convertible Wind Blockers - True or Myth -

Videos on Wind Blocks. The last video is a must watch! :eek:
This guy, lots of talk with no proof! Most of these Wind block sellers fall into this category, except for the seller in the last video. How about a little scientific demonstration on the product that they sell..

This one seems to work rapped around the seats with just about no gap between the passengers and Wind Blocker...

Also this Wind Blocker is design to be above the head level.

You been Programed or Brain-Washed to believe..
This last video is very interesting, a must watch.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wind Restrictor and Back Blade competitive comparison made no mention of the unit remaining in place whether top is UP or DOWN (like stays in place all the time).

In the absence of that topic in the comparison, it must mean they would rather not talk about that issue. In six months my wind unit has never been touched. And my top has obviously been up and down many times. That issue is very important to me as I don't want the unit damaged or needed to be stored.

In addition, the visual aspects of the two company's product appears to be identical, thus impact on the wind must be identical. And my wife is happy .... enough said.

PS: the ending screen presentation of the last video is in very poor taste and should be considered for removal. IMHO :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
My WindRestrictor V2 has been in place for almost 6 years. I like that I don't have to remove it when I put the top up. It reduces, but doesn't eliminate wind. I would think that if it were taller and wider, it would be more effective, but it was designed to compliment the design of the Kappas.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Rusty: I used to think the same thing. As an experiment once I made one that ran the full width of the car and was 4-5 inches taller than the humps. There was a little but not much difference (with the windows down).

I would love to see a wind tunnel test of the airflow. I think much of our turbulence comes in from the side. Other cars must get most of it from over the top and then curling in over the rear deck lid.

·
7,063 Posts
And my wife is happy
Good for you, wife is happy!

My WindRestrictor V2 has been in place for almost 6 years. I like that I don't have to remove it when I put the top up. It reduces, but doesn't eliminate wind. I would think that if it were taller and wider, it would be more effective, but it was designed to compliment the design of the Kappas.
Same here Rusty I have my WR installed for over 7 years and its my $250 **BLING**. I do have hair on top so the WR does nothing for me as far as turbulence in the cockpit..

·
7,063 Posts
I would love to see a wind tunnel test of the airflow. I think much of our turbulence comes in from the side. Other cars must get most of it from over the top and then curling in over the rear deck lid.
I don't think the BackBlade people make any of these plastic Wind Block devices for our type of cars.
Can't say how reputable they really are but they do show to the public results of their products. Here is some test figures from the ones that BackBlade do make: Test Results

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Marvic1: Those test results show the comparison between 1/8" Acrylic, 1/8" Glass, and 3/8" Lexan, but I saw no comparison to a naked car.
Also, the dB/speed curves are exactly the same for the Sky and the Z4, and that is statistically impossible, so there is no telling what car they actually came from.

I completely missed anything in poor taste in the videos. The ending screen in all of them is the standard YouTube montage of suggested videos, but even there nothing looked bad.
It did seem odd that some of the suggested videos match things I have recently watched. Is that screen the same for everyone, or is it customized for each person?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
First off, heck of a first post modman38...haha got everybody riled up! Without passion, life is nothing!

Question for the WR w/etching crowd. How exactly is the plexiglass "etched"? Are the custom graphics cut out of one side of the plexiglass or is something added to create the opaque portion? How is it illuminated? Does the light travel through the edge of the clear portion of the plexiglass then bounces off the etching (I'm thinking fiber optics like properties)? The reason I ask is because I'm stubborn and selfish. You see I want the smoked plexiglass but I also want it to be etched and illuminated. So I was wondering if you etched the clear plexi, ran the light through it but used window film to tint one side of the plexi to still give it a smoked appearance during daylight and yet allow it to be illuminated at night. Albeit the side with the film may not allow the "etching" to shine on that side. I was hoping that at least the guy behind me will still be able to see it and go "man that's cool"!

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I will let the manufacturer describe their process stungjoe. I know the lighting comes from underneath. I would think putting the film on the inside/towards the windshield, would cut down on glare in the interior. Depending on what WR says, I might consider that. The one on my Green car (blue light) is very bright. Looks great from behind, but inside with the top up, extremely bright.

Marvic, lowering yourself to name calling on the board is not needed. I realize I have offended you, it was not intentional. I have been involved with the auto industry/motorcycle/off road industry for many years. Communicating your appreciation to sponsors is something you just do. It is normal in every aspect. I have made these comments about DDM and Solo, never a comment from you. Your personal grudge with a supporting sponsor is not my concern, nor will it dictate how I talk about them, or when I do, so I suggest you get over it. Please no PM's with your childish comments. I expect higher actions from someone I considered a friend.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hey Stungjoe. I can answer those questions for you. Sorry for any delay. Our products are laser etched. Nothing is added or removed to make it opaque. The lasers do that for us. The light travels through the glass and is trapped a the edges. It really helps the glow.

We do not recommend smoked with illuminated, it doesn't show up well. Now a lot of people like smoked with etched. We also have a graphic that might explain how our system works. Also, with the windows up, is what stops the most wind with our product.

Please, excuse the size of the graphic. Again, we'd like to thank everyone for their comments. If you have any other questions just post here, pm me, or you can email me: [email protected] .

One last thing, we have a lot of competitors. Some of them have been very honest and helped drive our products to new heights. Others, have put out horrible lies, used our name for advertising, and even had legal action taken against them. Please, when you read a review or see an ad keep this in mind. We welcome all opinions. But, I'd like to think the good far outweigh the bad. Sales info is in my signature. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I will let the manufacturer describe their process stungjoe. I know the lighting comes from underneath. I would think putting the film on the inside/towards the windshield, would cut down on glare in the interior. Depending on what WR says, I might consider that. The one on my Green car (blue light) is very bright. Looks great from behind, but inside with the top up, extremely bright.
Hey skersfan, can you do me a quick favor? If you have some form of thick black cardboard/heavy paper, could you hold/tape it against the WR on the inward side and check to see if the outward side still has the full illumination? A quick/ easy way to see if the window film idea may actually work???

Hey Stungjoe. I can answer those questions for you. Sorry for any delay. Our products are laser etched. Nothing is added or removed to make it opaque. The lasers do that for us. The light travels through the glass and is trapped a the edges. It really helps the glow.

We do not recommend smoked with illuminated, it doesn't show up well. Now a lot of people like smoked with etched. We also have a graphic that might explain how our system works. Also, with the windows up, is what stops the most wind with our product.
Paul, I was wondering about using clear plexiglass and tinting one side of it. I know you website says "no go" on using the already tinted plexiglass. I figured it had something to do with the material not allowing light transfer through the colored glass??? I had asked about the etching process to make sure there would be at least one side of the plexiglass left smooth so the film would lay flat. Anyways just a random thought around the tinted plus illuminated option.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
PS: the ending screen presentation of the last video is in very poor taste and should be considered for removal. IMHO :surprise:
Uhm, what kind of video's have you been watching (or someone on your computer) cause those are selected based on what you have watched in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Without some windtunnel testing results, this is just speculation... And in the world of aero that can get you in ALOT of trouble. Side story, worked at the windtunnel with a guy who worked on this.

Earlier they had looked at with a tailgate, without, and with netting.. without of course would be better right.

But hey that thing not only has the tailgate, its got a partial cover.. well last minute someone said hey lets try fully covering the bed, nope, then they ran a half cover, it was best yet and they were out of time, to see if 1/3 or 2/3 would be even better, so they left it at 1/2.

Basically the full cover did not leave much room for a big vortex to set up, with the half cover they got a big vortex that helped the air separate from the roof and move down to the bed cover.

Im wondering, if the deflector in other vehicles, allows a vortex behind the deflector to form so the air rolls off the windshield and then rides the top of that down to the trunk. I noticed in the SE video, its of a mustang with the back open so you would have a big cavity to set up the vortex in. But with our features (is there a name for the 2 humps?) it would be hard for a vortex to set up, no matter how tall the windrestictor was.

Well someone here has to work at a shop with a some of those 3 or 4 foot fans. make a darn wind tunnel, get a smoke wand and get some video's going.. we want to know..

Well I know have something else to noodle on.. how does the airflow over the windshield and passenger compartment of the kappa.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts