Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove two of the standard sky's, one auto and one manual and fell in love. I want to get the redline around may when i graduate college and I'm assuming the best time to put an order in to hopefully get it around may of '07 will be early November? Anybody know for sure if this is the best time or any other advice that might help in timing is greatly appreciated.

Also i can't decide on the color, has anyone actually seen one what silver graphite looks like? I liked the midnight blue i drove but it looks black in the shade, so i'm a little iffy on it. oh well i'm new so be kind if this is a topic that's been beaten down already, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
I just drove two of the standard sky's, one auto and one manual and fell in love. I want to get the redline around may when i graduate college and I'm assuming the best time to put an order in to hopefully get it around may of '07 will be early November? Anybody know for sure if this is the best time or any other advice that might help in timing is greatly appreciated.

Also i can't decide on the color, has anyone actually seen one what silver graphite looks like? I liked the midnight blue i drove but it looks black in the shade, so i'm a little iffy on it. oh well i'm new so be kind if this is a topic that's been beaten down already, thanks.
Don't know if you can plan it that way... Once the allocations are gone they are gone -- now that doesn't mean you can't/won't order a 2008 model... but "timing" it all is a bit impossible at this time.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
Also i can't decide on the color, has anyone actually seen one what silver graphite looks like? I liked the midnight blue i drove but it looks black in the shade, so i'm a little iffy on it. oh well i'm new so be kind if this is a topic that's been beaten down already, thanks.
Here is a shot of the silver graphite. I have a few more shots in my gallery.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
I just drove two of the standard sky's, one auto and one manual and fell in love. I want to get the redline around may when i graduate college and I'm assuming the best time to put an order in to hopefully get it around may of '07 will be early November? Anybody know for sure if this is the best time or any other advice that might help in timing is greatly appreciated.

Also i can't decide on the color, has anyone actually seen one what silver graphite looks like? I liked the midnight blue i drove but it looks black in the shade, so i'm a little iffy on it. oh well i'm new so be kind if this is a topic that's been beaten down already, thanks.
If you want an 2007 RL, if you can find a dealer that still an open order spot, better take it NOW. If you want for the 2008, I would order this fall when GM annouces prices and takign orders!

Just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
If you want an 2007 RL, if you can find a dealer that still an open order spot, better take it NOW. If you want for the 2008, I would order this fall when GM annouces prices and takign orders!

Just my two cents.
I agree on the first part. But if you want a 2008 they won't be available to order in untill spring, around the end of May or June of 2007.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
I would recommend getting on the list. My dealer says they are only expecting FOUR Red Line allocations for all of 2007. With numbers that small, find a dealer and get on the list ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm a little confused on this allocation stuff. i don't want to order one now and get it in 6 or 7 months, i won't have the cash to afford it til i graduate in may. so are you all saying that it probably won't be possible for me to order one and have it come in May? and also why the heck are they only sending four, with this much demand it makes no sense why saturn/gm wouldn't make more and try to steal from the foreign comp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
making more lowers the resale value and overall allure of purchasing this car and the solstice. the problem with gm in the past is they did make huge amounts of cars that sold, but when they were on every street corner and people wanted to get rid of them, and gm was offering rebates and financing 0%, that pretty much makes the cars "throw aways" because you can get such a deal on a new one who the hell would buy a used?

you pretty much cannot plan to receive it at a certain time, we aren't 100% when the first ones will show up, and the dealers can only get so many. Best bet is to wait until someone wants to get rid of theres after they buy it and decide the Miata is better because of an article they read in some communist magazine... and maybe you can get it for a little better price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that's an interesting theory but i think i'll get one new...just wish i had a better idea of how to get one around may. if i order one now i will get it probably way before i need it.

speaking of paying, has anyone actually haggled at saturn before or payed less than sticker price?
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
speaking of paying, has anyone actually haggled at saturn before or payed less than sticker price?
Less than sticker? On the SKY? Or better yet, the RED LINE? :lol:

Consider yourself blessed if you can get it AT sticker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
well that's an interesting theory but i think i'll get one new...just wish i had a better idea of how to get one around may. if i order one now i will get it probably way before i need it.

speaking of paying, has anyone actually haggled at saturn before or payed less than sticker price?
If you order it now ask what number on the list you are, if it's number 7 or more you probably won't get it untill the 2008 model. Which is production starting next July.( or last week of June ) But that doesn't mean you'll have it in July. They will only be making around 3,000 Red Lines the first year, 480 dealers.So if your 5 or 6 you might be close with the May-June time frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
deluke said:
If you order it now ask what number on the list you are, if it's number 7 or more you probably won't get it untill the 2008 model. Which is production starting next July.( or last week of June ) But that doesn't mean you'll have it in July. They will only be making around 3,000 Red Lines the first year, 480 dealers.So if your 5 or 6 you might be close with the May-June time frame.
not to question your credibility but where did you hear that production of the next batch won't happen until next july? and also are you guys pretty sure that if am 5 or 6 that it won't come in until may-ish? last question, by number 5 or 6 is that 5 or 6 allocation, waiting list, yada yada? i don't quite know what to ask for sure. sorry if i'm being annoying, this is my first car purchase on my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
not to question your credibility but where did you hear that production of the next batch won't happen until next july? and also are you guys pretty sure that if am 5 or 6 that it won't come in until may-ish? last question, by number 5 or 6 is that 5 or 6 allocation, waiting list, yada yada? i don't quite know what to ask for sure. sorry if i'm being annoying, this is my first car purchase on my own.
I'll try to clear up a few things.:)
Every Saturn Store has been allocated "images" of SKYs. The 2007 model is now in production and basically -- with both R/L and Base SKY will come out to about 10,000 cars. For all intents and purposes these are sold. :willy: GM is treating the build very similar to Corvette. They are not building a car until it is ordered. Now, some cars ARE available (bad deal - cold feet etc) and you may find a loose base SKY. RedLines have not been officially produced yet.
My dealership is telling people that if they order now they should see their car in Jan/Feb 2007. I have not heard an "official" stop/start to a new model year, but I am wrong - a lot! When that happens the allotment game will most likely happen again. People who were on the waiting list at a dealer and never saw their 2007 SKY -- I would imagine would be moved to the list for 2008 SKYs (I would guess a realignment of those patient folks would happen)
So to "time" when you want this car is pretty difficult. To be safe wait till May, and figure 9-10 months later you should see your car!:cheers: :banghead: :cheers:
BTW keeping the SKY count small is because of its niche status. Generally sales of a car like this will drop off as everyone who wanted one got theirs and no one is ready to trade in their first one. The idea is to keep a steady 10,000 SKYs and 20,000 Solstice supply -- similar to the 35,000 Corvettes built each year.
:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
not to question your credibility but where did you hear that production of the next batch won't happen until next july? and also are you guys pretty sure that if am 5 or 6 that it won't come in until may-ish? last question, by number 5 or 6 is that 5 or 6 allocation, waiting list, yada yada? i don't quite know what to ask for sure. sorry if i'm being annoying, this is my first car purchase on my own.
Matt,
FYI, I have figured out the leaders of this forum know more about ordering a Sky than my dang dealer does. If you really, really want a Sky read everything on this forum concerning ordering and listen to the guys and gals that have already been through the process. I still wouldnt even have a pre lim order number without the help and advice from this forum. And I assure you this is not my first time to order a car. :) I graduated college a few years back. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Just get on a list so you can be assured a place in line. If a RL comes in before May then just pass it up to the next person in line. Then, if all the planets align correctly when you graduate in May the dealer would get another RL and since you are high on the list you would get first dibs. :D We have waited so long for our Sky that we have moved to #1 on our dealers list. Whatever car comes in we get first pick. If we wanted to wait even longer we could get the first RL at our dealer. Oh, the silver graphite looks very sharp and rich. Very classy looking. It was a close 2nd for our color choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
moni6 said:
Just get on a list so you can be assured a place in line. If a RL comes in before May then just pass it up to the next person in line. Then, if all the planets align correctly when you graduate in May the dealer would get another RL and since you are high on the list you would get first dibs. :D We have waited so long for our Sky that we have moved to #1 on our dealers list. Whatever car comes in we get first pick. If we wanted to wait even longer we could get the first RL at our dealer. Oh, the silver graphite looks very sharp and rich. Very classy looking. It was a close 2nd for our color choice.
how can you just pass it up if you custom ordered it? or do you mean pass up the chance to actually have it made? that seems a bit confusing to me. if i'm able to order now and keep delaying til i get it in may i'll go this week and order one, but i'm not quite following what you're saying, mind helping explain a tad bit more for me? wish this wasn't so drawn out and i could just go buy on in may, ahhh!!! once again thanks for all input help. and if anyone else has anything to advise on i'm all ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
how can you just pass it up if you custom ordered it? or do you mean pass up the chance to actually have it made? that seems a bit confusing to me. if i'm able to order now and keep delaying til i get it in may i'll go this week and order one, but i'm not quite following what you're saying, mind helping explain a tad bit more for me? wish this wasn't so drawn out and i could just go buy on in may, ahhh!!! once again thanks for all input help. and if anyone else has anything to advise on i'm all ears.
Honey nobody has a real order for a Redline yet - just a prelim order. We are all still waiting on images. I keep telling you to trust us, what she is telling you is true......Read all the old threads on ordering. Read the entire section on Redlines. You will have an "ah ha" moment after you read more.:thumbs:

oh and just so we dont have you completely confused this is not how it typically works when you order a car. This bizarre wait time, etc. is due to the Sky being in such limited supply and high demand....
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Honey nobody has a real order for a Redline yet - just a prelim order. We are all still waiting on images.
Umm... My dealer got an allocation for a Red Line, and I got the first image. I'm at 3000 on my Red Line as we speak.

Does that make me special?
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top