Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a bit surprised (but then again not) to find that the ACTUAL production of Saturn SKY is officially NOT going to be projected - so the 10000 or 6000 many have heard is no longer considered a real projection. It is estimated that the final number will be more like 7000, but the only official count will come at the end of model year. Makes sense.

A bit more -- the plan (again it's a plan) is to NOT have any inventory. They really want to custom build every SKY. They do not want more than one demo at a store. Saturn currently is NOT planning to lease SKYs. More info after meetings in early April. Their feeling is they do not want to see new SKYs sitting in a lot or showroom, marked for Year End Clearance.

Apparently Saturn Corp is more than upset with some of the dealings of Saturn Stores that are jacking up prices - they are VERY interested to hear about any price changes. Not know what, if anything can be done, but most retailers feel price upping is against the Saturn Spirit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please tell me its not so.....

Rick Tinley Park said:
I was a bit surprised (but then again not) to find that the ACTUAL production of Saturn SKY is officially NOT going to be projected - so the 10000 or 6000 many have heard is no longer considered a real projection. It is estimated that the final number will be more like 7000, but the only official count will come at the end of model year. Makes sense.

A bit more -- the plan (again it's a plan) is to NOT have any inventory. They really want to custom build every SKY. They do not want more than one demo at a store. Saturn currently is NOT planning to lease SKYs. More info after meetings in early April. Their feeling is they do not want to see new SKYs sitting in a lot or showroom, marked for Year End Clearance.

Apparently Saturn Corp is more than upset with some of the dealings of Saturn Stores that are jacking up prices - they are VERY interested to hear about any price changes. Not know what, if anything can be done, but most retailers feel price upping is against the Saturn Spirit.
If the numbers truely end up at only 6 or 7000, could some of us be wishing for something that will not occur for 2007? Are we possible looking at 2008 model year? And what about all those poor souls in Canada that can't even order yet!! Maybe 2009 for them???? My dealer hasn't called and told me a thing about the status of my order since it was placed on 1/27 except to advise of the chrome wheel deal, and only once when I called THEM I was rudely dismissed and subject changed. Hello.... this is my $27,000+ dollars we are talking about here. If they don't want it say so and its 350Z time. If it ends up that I don't have a prayer at a 2007 and they know but fail to advise me, I shall never ever step within another GM dealership ever!!!! The planning of D-Day wasn't this secretive!!!! Sorry, I knew when I entered this deal there would be ups and downs. Just be HONEST and tell me the truth GM......

·
Registered
105 Posts
I definately feel the over MSRP is against the Saturn spirit. People just assume that Saturn is no dicker over price. When the general pop starts hearing that some dealers are MSRP, some over MSRP... that it depends on the dealer... I think that the draw Saturn had will be tarnished. I think they were smart to create a car line to appeal to people who hate that aspect of car buying... the negotiation... the feeling that you know less than the saleman... the feeling you are being nickled and dimed on acronyms... I think people will start to see Saturn as the same as the other GM divisions. I think that can only hurt Saturn. I know it has hurt my impression... I placed my deposit on a car last June, before the price was set. I was not too alarmed because I knew that saturn was a no dicker price. Now I am paying over MSRP because they got me over a barrel. How do they think that makes their customers feel? Not smart, and I wish GM would do something about it... I realize the dealers can legally set their own prices, but Saturn can also figure out who to dole the cars out to... greater numbers to those who agree to continue to price according to Saturn's long standing policy. It's agravating.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well that's good to know. Maybe dealers will sit on their allocations then in the future instead of ordering them and having cars people don't want on the lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Saturn's website states that the Sky will be available for retail lease, or purchase.

I think I am going to end up purchasing mine strictly because of the high cost of a lease (based on the Solstice lease payments).

I think we just have to be patient and see what happens. I am the first to say I wanted my car yesterday, hell I ordered it February 18th and I just received an order # that Saturn Customer Service says they have no record of.

·
Registered
154 Posts
msrp

My GM told me that he got a letter from Saturn that if he wanted to mark up the Sky, He would have to mark up all of the Saturn models by the same amount. Not likely! No one is going to pay over MSRP for a View or Ion.
Remember, Saturn does not advertise that they sell all vehicles at MSRP.
They advertise that they have a "no haggle" policy and that you as a customer will pay the same amount for a particular car no matter where you buy it. Not the same thing as guarantee to sell at MSRP
Seems Saturn Execs are hearing a lot of flak from prospective buyers about mark ups & are trying to deal with it in a proactive way.:)

·
Registered
18,099 Posts
Less Numbers mean a CLASIC CAR

the old saying "LESS is MORE"....we may be sitting on a gold mine if they only produce 7000....

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UFC1 said:
Saturn's website states that the Sky will be available for retail lease, or purchase.

I think I am going to end up purchasing mine strictly because of the high cost of a lease (based on the Solstice lease payments).

I think we just have to be patient and see what happens. I am the first to say I wanted my car yesterday, hell I ordered it February 18th and I just received an order # that Saturn Customer Service says they have no record of.
I think they may become available for lease too -- I think it may not happen until next year though... That was the "feeling" i got during the conversation

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vairman said:
If the numbers truely end up at only 6 or 7000, could some of us be wishing for something that will not occur for 2007? Are we possible looking at 2008 model year? And what about all those poor souls in Canada that can't even order yet!! Maybe 2009 for them???? My dealer hasn't called and told me a thing about the status of my order since it was placed on 1/27 except to advise of the chrome wheel deal, and only once when I called THEM I was rudely dismissed and subject changed. Hello.... this is my $27,000+ dollars we are talking about here. If they don't want it say so and its 350Z time. If it ends up that I don't have a prayer at a 2007 and they know but fail to advise me, I shall never ever step within another GM dealership ever!!!! The planning of D-Day wasn't this secretive!!!! Sorry, I knew when I entered this deal there would be ups and downs. Just be HONEST and tell me the truth GM......
Let me add this -- I got no denial that the 2007 model year may "begin" again this year with additional cars. In other words 2007 cars being sold into 2007 as they normally would be, beging an additional amount of cars.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Ernest said:
Yup, Lower production numbers equals "gold mine" in my book.
Don't know about a gold mine, but it should keep the value up and unique quality of it high.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Back to the Poor Canadian's comment...Some of us also have our orders in to Saturn...As in dealer received an image and we ordered a car with a down payment. The numbers keep changing. This is the first I've heard of 6000. Generally I heard 10,000 but I have also heard 12,000. Plus the ones for Europe.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The general feeling and the car used as an example was the Ford T-Bird. People were willing to pay a bit more for the when they over produced it and they sat on lots -- no one was willing to pay the premium price for a "production" car. At 10,000 cars; SKY would make up .06% of cars sold in the US.
My feeling about the SSR are kind of the same -- they built a cool car but at 45K after a few years all the people who had 46 grand and wanted that car had bought it. No one was ready for a trade-in. A roadster at 26k is a bit more attractive. I call it a gateway car; leading to harder/faster cars....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rick112 said:
Back to the Poor Canadian's comment...Some of us also have our orders in to Saturn...As in dealer received an image and we ordered a car with a down payment. The numbers keep changing. This is the first I've heard of 6000. Generally I heard 10,000 but I have also heard 12,000. Plus the ones for Europe.
The feeling I got, Rick, was that they'd build all the cars ordered and sold this year -- their feeling is that it will be about 7000, not 10 -- but if they have to they will build to capacity. They just don't want an inventory of unsold ones. . . And the ones for Europe are not Saturns.... They are Opals.. (Yeah yeah I know)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts