Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drove home with my new SKY (over 300 miles), I noticed that I had the wheel rub problem in the back. I took it into the Saturn dealership at home to have it fixed. They called me back immediately after I dropped it off asking me if I knew my car was damaged! It appears that my car was damaged when it was put up on the lift at the original dealership. The left front fender was cracked due to the lift point being missed.

This has all been resolved now, as my original dealership paid for all repairs (as they should have). But, I wanted to give everyone a heads up on what could happen if you're not careful lifting the car at the proper lift points. I was able to keep the broken fender, which was all plastic.

100_1669.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes all plastic, I was surprised as well!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
We've seen some of that. NCBlue was the first to report it if I remember correctly.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Plastic??? I thought this was an all metal car?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
rick112 said:
The piece below the hood and behind the front wheel wells is indeed plastic. Hood, doors, trunk (deck), rear fenders are steel. Front and rear bumpers are also plastic/rubbery stuff.

·
Registered
422 Posts
rick112 said:
If this panel would have been out of sheet metal, it would be dented anyway.
I think this is not the last demaging on lifter. Not all of the dealer/mechanics know the exact lifting points for this car up to now.
For those who lift their cars themself it's useful to have lifting adapters (same as on corvette, there was a thread on SolForum) and/or use some rubber plates to avoid damaging.
Here are some pics
Unterboden_ges.jpg Wagenheber_HA.jpg Hebeböcke_HA.jpg Wagenheber_VA.jpg Heberpunkte_VA.jpg

The lifting points on rear are where the suspension is bolted (pic1) or the posts are positioned in pic3. For lifting the rear in total you can use the hydraulic jack on the heavy black traverse behind the diff.

The lifting points on the front are shown in pic5, therefore you should use the adapter. For lifting the front in total you can use the hydraulic jack on the heavy grey traverse beneath the engine (pic4) and position the post under the lifting points.

I took the pics from SolForum month ago made by Excelsior :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyTech said:
There is actually fiberglass used on some pieces, like the fenders
I think those are just plastic, not fiberglass.

I've got a little review coming of the jack inserts I bought once I get them today. They're meant to be used to avoid this type of issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Also...

I think those are just plastic, not fiberglass.

I've got a little review coming of the jack inserts I bought once I get them today. They're meant to be used to avoid this type of issue.
Please include pictures. Thanks in advance.

R1chy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts