Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPS just delivered my new Big Bore Throttle Body from Saturn Motor Sports. I will try to install it by this week end and let you know what difference it makes. I think from the improvement the other mods have made this should smooth out the acceleration and help while in 3rd gear.....also I'm going to schedule a Dyno test before I have the ECM tuned so I can see what improvement I get with the tune.....Seal9:cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Let us know what it does to your gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 100 Miles

Ok; have the T/B installed and disconnected the Neg Bat terminal to re-set the computer, then started out on a 100 mile test...this is what I see

MPG...26.7 for the 100 mile loop ( before 27.1 just small change)
In first gear start is smoother and acceleration very good
2nd has a little more pull and no hesitation
3rd is the power gear the big improvement is no hesitation and all my modification come to life......
4th same took it to 5.5k 79mph shifted to 5th and for the first time it still had noticeable acceleration....
this T/b is combined with the following

Kappa CAI, and KS1 CAT
Clear Headers, Saturn Motor Sport T/B

the next step is the ECM re-tune it should be through testing end of month

Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It is amazing that you are the first post I have read here or the Solstice side that has done the throttle body. The engine is a heat pump (no - not the HVAC type!) and it lives for AIR. With a CAI and a cat back the air is still "restricted" in a few places (cat, header, and t/b). What you have done is removed one of those restrictions. Based on what I have read on the Solstice forum, the computer tune certainly helps, and in your case it should unlock even more power with the t/b.

When I (someday) get my Redline I will only be able to change the filter element (K&N when they make it) and install a cat-back per SCCA Solo ll rules. Too bad, as I would love to make some other changes. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
OK seal9, what if? In your opinion, if someone (me) just installed the throtle body without the other mods, what would they (me) get for the money?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the only thing would be a little better responce..no hesitation when you step on the gas....but not any noticeable power incress...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for the post. :) This is VERY interesting. I do plan (I'll have the dealer do it) to install the CAI, and doing a "ECM" refresh. 1) Does the new TB hook up to the CAI? :confused: 2) Do you need to refresh the refresh as it were:rolleyes: ? Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
reflash

i know seal said saturn motorsports is doing the reflash. does that require sending in your computer or is is a program they ship you.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hmmmm... maybe i should invest in this as well .. how long was the install time? did you get your refund credit yet?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have had no problems working with Saturn Motor Sport, Wes had been very helpful and has spent hours on the phone with me talking SKY. I am waiting to complete the test on the re-tune and as far as the T/B go's it was a 10 min install..But I had to Waite 25 min for the computer to re set after I removed the Neg cable before the install...The only thing that has surprised me so far is the Sky's intake manifold is composite and I think I would like to replace that with Aluminum later......Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
good deall i went n looked looks like 4 bolts and a couple plugs and wam-bam-thank you mam. ! think i might have to invest :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
seal9 said:
I have had no problems working with Saturn Motor Sport, Wes had been very helpful and has spent hours on the phone with me talking SKY. I am waiting to complete the test on the re-tune and as far as the T/B go's it was a 10 min install..But I had to Waite 25 min for the computer to re set after I removed the Neg cable before the install...The only thing that has surprised me so far is the Sky's intake manifold is composite and I think I would like to replace that with Aluminum later......Seal9:cheers:
Seal, somewhere on these threads I remember SKYTECH saying to undo both battery cables and touch them together to drain the componants down and then putting the cables back on the battery posts after 5 minutes....Skip...I could be wrong...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right Skip, I just let them drain slow, while they were doing that my wife had me out running with her, ouch! so I had the time to spare...Seal9:lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts