1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a driver side mirror here:

I had it painted rhinestone (+230$)

And installed at AutoTech in San Ramon +368$

Yes. I know... I could have saved 100$ if I'd taken it to a different garage.

But I owed them a favor for doing good electrical work on the car a few months ago.

Like I expected. See the image... The large mirror isn't so noticeable that it's now a Franken car.

But getting used to the mirror will take a few days. Not only is it bigger but the radius of curvature is more panoramic.

I'm not certain I like it. What looks like 50ft behind me looks like 100ft in the mirror.

It's staying there for a while - that's for sure!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh. Ah. The mechanic said the wiring didn't work out-of-the-box. He had to rewire it so it'd work with my mirror controls.

Looking back in it. Now that I know that. I wonder if I would have been better off getting large matching mirrors from a 2009 camaro. And having him rewire that.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Re wiring require switching two wires. Not a big job by any means.

The idea of the mirror is to give you more side vision. Not distance. I do agree though, I drove mine quite a bit when I first put them on. Now that I seldom drive it, I do notice the distance thing more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking back in it. Now that I know that. I wonder if I would have been better off getting large matching mirrors from a 2009 camaro. And having him rewire that.
Emmett, is this something you have actually looked into? Do you know if Camaro mirrors would fit? Is anyone aware of another mirror that would fit our car, perhaps something from a corvette?

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I personally never liked there appearance...they stick out like large EARS if u get my gist. They were only created because Europe changed their specs....and all car manufacturers had to change.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
And if you didn't know they were there you would never notice them Mike. I took mine to our local Club, about 35 Sky Solstice owners there. I told them I made a major change to the car. I was known as Mr. Mod, or Marvic West. Not a single person noticed them in over 20 minutes. Had two sets of them at the Colorado National. Not one single person noticed them until I told a guy I had them on both cars. Then had about 10 people come by to see them.

I was in total agreement with you until I put them on the car. Once I did, I never noticed them being odd in any way. But what you can see with them is incredible. It makes the car much safer. The Corvette or Camaro mirrors will not make any difference. Just wasting your money I think.

But there was a guy that put a set of mirrors from a Vette on his coupe. He thought they helped. His handle was the scifi guy I think. You might be able to find him here or on the Solstice forum.

I bought them for one reason and one reason only. To piss of another poster on the board. Was actually going to put them on a trash can and send him pictures. But very glad as I now have three sets and a couple driver side mirrors just in case. There are people on this site that bought the passenger mirror when they were available. Maybe someday they will return to the forum and sell them. I would buy a driver side if I wanted a set. Took five years for the driver side to show up.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Actually Bob, u r wrong. When we went to the Wilmington plant in late 2008....they had 3 new cars in the factory to show us and ask our opinion....the SE Merlot/Ruby Red Sky, the hardtop Solstice and the Opel. The first thing we noticed on the Opel was the mirrors...Remember, back then, we were invited each year by GM to their plant for our Mecca events...there were only 3.....and we were also invited back to close the plant. If u go on UTube and put in the last Solstice to roll off the assembly line...u will see Teresa and others...

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Supposedly only one set of mirrors made it to Europe. According to Norbert GT. It showed up at a major Opel event.

I guess it could be they have grown on me. I would never drive the car without them.

I don't go back that far, I am nearing 6 years of ownership.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Emmett, is this something you have actually looked into? Do you know if Camaro mirrors would fit? Is anyone aware of another mirror that would fit our car, perhaps something from a corvette?
Only looked into it tangentially. I haven't found a set of mirrors in the Chevy lineup that look compatible so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Only looked into it tangentially. I haven't found a set of mirrors in the Chevy lineup that look compatible so far.
If you do a search on this site on "Corvette Mirrors" you will find the post from Scifi guy documenting his experience installing Corvette mirrors on his coupe. As Skersfan mentioned, I don't know if the result is worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
He had a very narrow driveway, and need the view close to the car that the smaller stock mirrors did not allow. He was happy with what he accomplished. But really no comparison to the Opel mirrors. I wonder if you could talk to a glass/mirror company that could provide a like mirror and cut it for the standard mirror. I don't think the size is the main difference. It is the actual mirror itself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
He had a very narrow driveway, and need the view close to the car that the smaller stock mirrors did not allow. He was happy with what he accomplished. But really no comparison to the Opel mirrors. I wonder if you could talk to a glass/mirror company that could provide a like mirror and cut it for the standard mirror. I don't think the size is the main difference. It is the actual mirror itself.
you are correct sir.the glass is the key.the euro glass is like convex but wider view.they call it aspherical glass.i have read of folks who bought euro glass and had it cut to fit there mirrors and said it had the same effect as our opel mirrors.something to think about or study up on.i love the safety and rarity and looks of the opel mirrors.

·
Registered
991 Posts
He had a very narrow driveway, and need the view close to the car that the smaller stock mirrors did not allow.
????

I have been parking this car 2" away from a wall for the past 8 years, and have never had an issue with the visibility from the stock mirrors.

Parking sensors might have made the task easier, but the mirrors, eh, I can see just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
And if you didn't know they were there you would never notice them Mike. I took mine to our local Club, about 35 Sky Solstice owners there. I told them I made a major change to the car. I was known as Mr. Mod, or Marvic West. Not a single person noticed them in over 20 minutes. Had two sets of them at the Colorado National. Not one single person noticed them until I told a guy I had them on both cars. Then had about 10 people come by to see them.
Ha Ha! That's a good one. Were you even here when Marvic was around?

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Yea we were pretty good friends. And he snipes us every so often now!!!!

As to SciFi guy, he made the choice and it is in one of the forums. He used some type of Vette mirror. He said he needed them and they helped him. He couldn't see the lower wall or something and had to back in or out a very long drive way. Who knows.

Again if you have never looked thru the Opel mirrors you have no idea of what they are like. It is the side vision that it improves, not the distance. I would guess it gives you another lane of traffic that you can not see with the stock mirrors.

It had to do with speeds and vision on the autobahn is what I was told. I never heard that they were going to be on the Sky or Solstice before. But Mike knows far more about these things than I will ever learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are correct sir.the glass is the key.the euro glass is like convex but wider view.they call it aspherical glass.i have read of folks who bought euro glass and had it cut to fit there mirrors and said it had the same effect as our opel mirrors.something to think about or study up on.i love the safety and rarity and looks of the opel mirrors.
I agree.
What do you think interest would be if we could get some custom aspherical glass made for our existing mirrors?
I'm thinking of contacting a car glass mirror company to inquire what it would take to have a run of mirrors done. We'd probably need several people to commit in order to have it be cost effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts