Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
There was...

I can't remember the order but at one time there was a large supply of the large side mirror but only one side. Some bought these in the hopes that one day a big lot of big mirrors for the other side would turn up. That happened a few years ago and those side mirrors got bought up quick.

But I can't remember which one was first, driver's or passenger's...and which one was second. Pretty much you're at the right place to see if anyone has one laying around somewhere without the matching side.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
And I have two sets of the original mirrors mounted on my cars. The third set will be explained later. I hate driving the cars with out them.

Let me look around over the weekend and I will see if I can find it. It is black, I was having it hydro dipped to carbon fiber but never got it done. It is in a box somewhere. I will consider selling it, but as many of these cars as I have bought, who knows I may need another set. lol

I would pick up the driver side mirrors if you can. I talked with the original poster on these and he said he had 14. I bought 4 of them. I know quite a few bought the passenger side. The history is, that only one set was installed on the 2010 Opel GT. There were only two 2010 Opel GT's delivered to Europe. One showed up at a German National a couple of years ago with the original big mirrors.

They are like hen's teeth. A few years ago there were only 4 known sets in the world.

I purchased two sets from Marvic 5 years ago, put together the third set when the driver side finally showed up a year ago. Marvic bough three sets at the closing of the plant, and held them for a few years, He sold one set to another guy in Texas, but I have never been able to track them down.

The guy that found the driver side mirrors also found the High Performance GMPP master cylinder/brake fluid container. Sorry for the underline and bold that decided to do it on their own. lol Most people on the Sky forum were not aware of the brake booster mod, but it was a big deal on the Solstice site. I think they are still available for pennies of what GM was originally charging for them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the cars age, few and fewer add on parts are available, like the factory luggage rack. I gave up on that search and went for a hardtop. Happy with the conversion, probably will not go back. My wife has a convertible, so that’s enough solar absorption for me.

good advice on grabbing a drivers side. I’m sure a passenger side mirror will turn up eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Yea the luggage rack has been nearly impossible to find for 6 years now.

I will look for the passenger side mirror this weekend. I have parts in three different areas, and none of them are at my home. A 50 mile drive to look for parts. lol so it isn't something I do every day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of these 'big Opel mirrors' next to a regular Sky/Solstice mirror for comparison purposes?

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
There are pictures in the original thread, but no idea where they are.

Looking directly at the mirrors in a picture of just the mirror it looks much larger. Once on the car no one notices them.

You may be able to see them in my showcase, you can see them on my yellow car.

I would bet JohnWR can find other pictures of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Now i see what all the talk is about. Thanks John!
Even that picture doesn't do them justice. When you're in the car and you go to use them, it seems like they are triple the size of the smaller mirrors. The improved rearward visibility they offer is night and day compared to the smaller ones.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
And honestly the only way people notice them is if I tell them they are on the car. They do not look out of place or odd on the car. I took both cars to the Colorado National, and no one ever mentioned the mirrors. I think with in the next two years of production they would have been on the Sky and Solstice. They really do make the car a lot safer to drive.

I had my first set for almost a year before I put them on the car. I thought they were way too big and would look stupid. Decided one day to put them on and would never take them off for any reason.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing wrong with being able to see beside and behind you.
I did a hardtop, so the comfort of larger mirrors and a better field of view would be appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me look around over the weekend and I will see if I can find it. It is black, I was having it hydro dipped to carbon fiber but never got it done. It is in a box somewhere. I will consider selling it,
Skersfan, any thought of selling any of your mirrors?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Skersfan, any thought of selling any of your mirrors?
Thanks.
I'm not him but I can tell you that if he has a car that has small mirrors and he can put a set of big mirrors on it, he will. LOL I don't know if he has any spare sets (he has three sets after all and they're all on cars) but he loves these things and I know he won't sell any that are earmarked or on a car already.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
@Robotech is absolutely correct. Once you have them on your car, you can't imagine how hard it is to drive with the small mirrors.

I spent Sunday looking for the one passenger mirror I think I have. But is may actually be on the Bluestone car I just did. Can not remember for sure. I have found the small mirrors for that car, so most likely it is gone/used.

I do have two driver side mirrors, but I think some are still available on line. Not sure. If they aren't I would sell one of them for what I paid for it. All my storage is in an uproar after Pass Auto closing their body shop. I stored a lot of stuff there and had to move it very quickly. Nothing is organized any longer. Keep parts in three different locations. Will try to organize when it warms up some.

I have been looking for a 2.4 engine cover now for a month. Have at least 4 2.0 sets, but can not find the 2.4 I know I have. Way too much junk. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
I have been looking for a 2.4 engine cover now for a month. Have at least 4 2.0 sets, but can not find the 2.4 I know I have. Way too much junk. lol
You know I still have my 2.4 engine cover, right? It's painted in blue truefire and faux diamond plate but it can be stripped or repainted. It's yours if you want it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts