Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found coolant under the 08 redline,, don't know if pump or seals is the issue,, 87k miles and is pretty new to me and don't know the history of the car,,
Been reading about the posts here, sounds like everything is progressing normally!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just found coolant under the 08 redline,, don't know if pump or seals is the issue,, 87k miles and is pretty new to me and don't know the history of the car,,
Been reading about the posts here, sounds like everything is progressing normally!
Have you confirmed yet what's the cause? That sounds like the WP seal failed. Almost all of the WP failures I've read about have been the WP gaskets failing as opposed to the actual WP. When mine went it was loosing coolant and I couldn't figure from where as I had no leaks and no coolant residue. It went away and then came back a few months later and I smelled the coolant while driving. I pulled over and looked under the car and sure enough the hot engine was getting it sprayed back onto from the fan. It was a very small leak, but enough to be a problem. Since I didn't want to get stranded when it decided to dump I pulled the WP and replaced it. Looking at the gaskets after I pulled the WP they were very flat and hard compared to the new gasket.

You're right though about it being the normal progression of ownership though. It seems to bite most of us not long after we get our cars recently, especially in the 50-80k mile range it seems. I've started to theorize that either the previous owners are selling their cars because they know of AN issue or are preemptively selling BEFORE there is an issue. FWIW you may want to think about doing the timing chains if you are tacking the WP. I did my WP and then found out I needed to do my timing chain a few months later. It would of certainly been easier had I done both at the same time. Just my 2 cents going forward for folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have about came to the same conclusions that you mentioned. I am going to look at the chains while i am there. The car wasn't driven much the last few years and i think that affects the seals and gaskets. In the process of removing everything i noticed a little oil in the intake track of the turbo. So replacing pump, chains and guides, and turbo seems to be the right thing to do.
I haven't got to the point where i can determine where the pump leak is but i believe in doing it all the first time to prevent going in again.
Thanks again for the info, will keep you updated as i go along.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have about came to the same conclusions that you mentioned. I am going to look at the chains while i am there. The car wasn't driven much the last few years and i think that affects the seals and gaskets. In the process of removing everything i noticed a little oil in the intake track of the turbo. So replacing pump, chains and guides, and turbo seems to be the right thing to do.
"I haven't got to the point where i can determine where the pump leak is but i believe in doing it all the first time to prevent going in again."
I haven't got to the point where i can determine where the pump leak is but i believe in doing it all the first time to prevent going in again.

·
Registered
18,776 Posts
It seems turbos are the cause of WP failure...just from reading. Too much heat is being produced from the turbo. Of course I am always wrong when I state our cars are built like S..t. Which they are...but the design gets us all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree Mike. When they're up and running they're nice little vehicles but they do require an extraordinary amount of maintenance. Just ordered Tims Heat Shield kit for some preventive maintenance. I was amazed he had a few left. Seems that heat management on these vehicles is practically nonexistent.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Seems that heat management on these vehicles is practically nonexistent.
There used to be a GM engineer who worked on the Kappa platform who owned a Sol and posted here. He said that there was a lot of testing and engineering that went into air flow under the hood and that doing things like adding functional hood vents would make the overall situation worse, not better.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
25 Posts
Making the side vents on these vehicles operational ( what you're talking about ) is a lot different than installing heat shields around vital components to mitigate the heat created by the Turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
That was an example, not the only aspect. I'm not saying don't do it, just that the air flow under the hood in an OEM configuration is something that GM paid a lot of attention to, and adding things that alter the carefully designed air movement may make things works, not better.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just about ready to pull front cover off. I have the chain and pump kit, turbo, tim's shields, new belts and thermostat. I am curious to see what the chains and guides look like. I did notice two good size cracks in the turbo exhaust side.

This is my first sky project so i am going kinda slow with it. I pulled the right wheel liner and hood. Makes it a lot easier to get around and i want to be positive on the chain installs. More later!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided not to do power steering pump, doesn't seem to be an issue.
Got the waterpump kit minus the crank balance sprocket. Spent some trying to get one from the
company before figuring out it's not in the kit. Finally found one on the net. Gm no 55556178.
Noticed the IC has been run into a curb at some time. It worked properly and didn't leak but i think replacement is the best thing to do.
Onward thru the fog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts