Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to debate the blocking out of license plate numbers when posting pics of vehicles in this forum.

Forum members who are compelled to comment on this practice in other threads should provide a link to this thread instead.

Please debate the "topic", not the "members" debating the topic.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Totally ALLOWABLE IMHO!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Well when I block a license plate in pictures it is mainly to protect that cars owner, or our members privacy. After all, I have read many stories about low lifes using a woman's plate to track her down and get her home address. As far as my plate is concern I also cover it up. If some scum bag gets it and wants to pay me a visit, all I gotta say, bring it...
:D:cheers::lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, when we drive around everyone can see our plates, but there's no immediate link to who you are (unless you're sitting in a police cruiser).

Completely different story online. There's no reason to put extra personally identifiable information out there. There's enough of that as it is.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't worry about it and display my plate for all to see. Not gonna be scared something will happen. Maybe it's a Canadian thing...

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Yes, when we drive around everyone can see our plates, but there's no immediate link to who you are (unless you're sitting in a police cruiser).

Completely different story online. There's no reason to put extra personally identifiable information out there. There's enough of that as it is.
I wonder how many people who block their plates are on Facebook and use google services

·
Registered
415 Posts
How does one track someone down by knowing a plate? Is there a reverse-plate-lookup site (akin to the reverse phone # site)?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
You can usually track that info from the state, some states just provide the service for free. In some cases you can join some 3rd party outfit, (like detectives do) and you can get any info you want with membership on any person you want..:yesnod: Try typing your plate in google and see what you get...:skep:

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can usually track that info from the state, some states just provide the service for free. In some cases you can join some 3rd party outfit, (like detectives do) and you can get any info you want with membership on any person you want..:yesnod: Try typing your plate in google and see what you get...:skep:
Yeah, I guess if someone wants to hunt someone down they could put the effort into it. But there are plenty of other ways to do it as well (shrug).

"IN MYSKY" doesn't dredge up much in the way of license plate info on Google.:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I block out my license plate because people on the internet search and take pictures for any number of reasons that end up on ebay and all over and you just never know what could happen. I personally don't make an effort on all pictures though.. I could care less mostly.

Anyone here been in the situation where your car was sold online without you knowing and you got tracked down by the license plate number in the picture and you had to legally give up your car? It has happened, and will happen again.

I guess we can come up with hypothetical situations all day but the funniest is poeple on the internet that are a total douchebag to others on the internet and give out personal information such as a license plate to find you. You never want to find out the power of the internet when it's not in your favor.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Anyone here been in the situation where your car was sold online without you knowing and you got tracked down by the license plate number in the picture and you had to legally give up your car? It has happened, and will happen again.
I don't see how this is possible.
I'm not giving up my vehicle without payment to me. It should be easy to prove fraud.
I don't have a problem with a picture with my license plate. What about the many thousands that see my plate when I'm on the street? What's to keep them from taking a picture then?

·
Registered
508 Posts
All comes down to comfort. Some people lock their doors when they go out some do not. Some people lock their doors when they are home some do not.

This will make some think I sound like a thief. The same will block their licence plates and some will not:thumbs:

·
Registered
347 Posts
What's to keep them from taking a picture then?
Nothing... But If you give someone a reason to come after you though don't be surprised how they found you.

I will give some more food for thought.. Your car is your prized possession that you care enough about to post all over the internet for everyone to see and know what you have and what is worth what. Now, why would you want to let the whole wide world know where you live or where the car can be found?

Just think, it's like putting a lock on a glass door. It stops the honest people.

Block your plate or not, if anyone wanted to find you... they will anyway so..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts