Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...in the past, I've seen threads on this forum discussing how loud the A/C compressor is when running...I myself had complained of this issue on my Sky. However, yesterday I came to a new conclusion...that (on my Sky) it is the fan blower motor that is making all the ruckus, not the compressor. I purposely turned the compressor off and only ran the fan w/recirculate on and without a doubt, it is definitely the fan motor that is making the "whining/growling" noises. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so...what was the 'fix'? A new fan motor? Please don't tell me to just turn up the radio...:rolleyes: I refuse to live with this annoying noise...it's just not acceptable to me. :banghead: I'll be adding this to "the list" of things that will be addressed when I take the car in for its first oil change.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If its not the motor, it might need lubrication of the bearing

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was one of the people with the growling/moaning noise. I've tried turning the A/C off and just running the recirculater but the noise continued. I've taken my car in twice for this issue and they still haven't fixed it. The service guys keep telling me that GM hasn't come out with a fix yet but they are aware of the problem. They also said it has something to do with one of the A/C lines so they put insulation around it? :confused: That didn't make sense to me and it didn't fix anything.

I'm very frustrated with the whole situation and I wish they would just replace everything that could potentially be the problem. I know that isn't reasonable but it is really hard to deal with. I don't think some people realize how loud it really is.

Keep me posted if you find anything out!

·
Registered
802 Posts
NC Sky said:
I was one of the people with the growling/moaning noise. I've tried turning the A/C off and just running the recirculater but the noise continued. I've taken my car in twice for this issue and they still haven't fixed it. The service guys keep telling me that GM hasn't come out with a fix yet but they are aware of the problem. They also said it has something to do with one of the A/C lines so they put insulation around it? :confused: That didn't make sense to me and it didn't fix anything.

I'm very frustrated with the whole situation and I wish they would just replace everything that could potentially be the problem. I know that isn't reasonable but it is really hard to deal with. I don't think some people realize how loud it really is.

Keep me posted if you find anything out!
I took mine in last week and had them check out the noise (along with a couple other things) and all they did was compare it with another they had on the lot. They said it was normal. If G/M knows about it they should be getting the word out instead of "stone walling" the problem.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
nscrbug said:
Ok...in the past, I've seen threads on this forum discussing how loud the A/C compressor is when running...I myself had complained of this issue on my Sky. However, yesterday I came to a new conclusion...that (on my Sky) it is the fan blower motor that is making all the ruckus, not the compressor. I purposely turned the compressor off and only ran the fan w/recirculate on and without a doubt, it is definitely the fan motor that is making the "whining/growling" noises. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so...what was the 'fix'? A new fan motor? Please don't tell me to just turn up the radio...:rolleyes: I refuse to live with this annoying noise...it's just not acceptable to me. :banghead: I'll be adding this to "the list" of things that will be addressed when I take the car in for its first oil change.
Running the fan with recirculate on causes the A/C to be on . Try fan on and no recirculate. Is the fan noisy? If not then it is the Compresser for the A/C. Should be covered under warrenty. So lite a fire under that dealerships ass ....Skip....:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
An A/C compresser needs a special oil to lube the seals and piston. I have had my share in 1978 of changing 26 compressers on Nissan that lacked the right oil...Skip... an old mechanic from yesteryear....:lol: :) :) :cool:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skip said:
Running the fan with recirculate on causes the A/C to be on . Try fan on and no recirculate. Is the fan noisy? If not then it is the Compresser for the A/C. Should be covered under warrenty. So lite a fire under that dealerships ass ....Skip....:)
ACK!! Really? Running the fan w/recirculate also runs the compressor??? :confused: Cuz that ain't what my service manager told me...:banghead: I kinda thought it kept it way too cool in there (on recirculate) for it to not be running the compressor, but what do I know right? :lol: I will have to run the fan without recirculate to see if it is indeed the fan motor. I'll report my findings. :thumbs:

Hey SkyTech...can you confirm this just for my own piece of mind?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
nscrbug said:
ACK!! Really? Running the fan w/recirculate also runs the compressor??? :confused: Cuz that ain't what my service manager told me...:banghead: I kinda thought it kept it way too cool in there (on recirculate) for it to not be running the compressor, but what do I know right? :lol: I will have to run the fan without recirculate to see if it is indeed the fan motor. I'll report my findings. :thumbs:

Hey SkyTech...can you confirm this just for my own piece of mind?
Excuse me, iffen yall read the manual it will tell yall about recirculate....Skip...Under dash controls....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Maybe when I get my Red Line some of these engineering problems will have been resolved ... :jester:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skip said:
Excuse me, iffen yall read the manual it will tell yall about recirculate....Skip...Under dash controls....:lol: :lol:

Ok Skip...I've got the manual here right in front of me and I will type word-for-word, the paragraph under "Recirculation".......

"Press the center knob on the control panel to recirculate air inside the vehicle and prevent outside air from coming in. It can be used to prevent outside odors from entering your vehicle and cool the air inside your vehicle more quickly. Press this button to turn the recirculation mode on or off. An indicator light on the button will come on to let you know the recirculation mode is activated. Recirculation is available in the bi-level and vent modes. If recirculation is selected in either floor/heat, floor/defog, or defrost mode, the LED light will flash three times indicating it is not available in that mode."

It does not mention anything about the compressor operating in the recirculation mode...or am I completely missing something here...:confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
When using recirculate mode with or without A/C on the A/C compressor comes on. Open hood and look at front part of engine when running. Look at bottom and see compressor running. Have someone push recirculate button. When led is off the compressor stops. When recirculate button is lit, compressor is on. Thanks to Melody for pushing all the right buttons for me....Skip....Linda I could have sworn it was in the Book.:lol: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...I did my own little 'test' and my conclusions are....that you were right, Skip...:lol: The compressor does run when the fan is on...with or without the recirculator on...even if the A/C button is not lit. So...my findings prove that the whining/growling/groaning noises are most definitely originating from the compressor...and it seems to be getting worse, too. :banghead:

The good news is...I contacted 'SkyTech' by PM, and he informed me that there is a service bulletin out regarding A/C lines that may be coming into contact with the firewall, causing some vibration noises. I plan on mentioning this to my service manager when I bring the car in for my first oil change very soon. I had also come across something on the Solstice forum, that indicated a similar problem with A/C lines vibrating against the firewall causing noise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is what my service manager said too. They put some insulation on the line but it didn't solve the problem :banghead: . Let us know if it works on your car!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NC Sky said:
That is what my service manager said too. They put some insulation on the line but it didn't solve the problem :banghead: . Let us know if it works on your car!
Well crap...that's not good...:banghead: That noise has been driving me freakin' crazy, too...and it seems like it's getting worse (louder) everyday. I normally wouldn't even run the A/C at all...but it's been so flippin' hot here this week with this heatwave, that I've had no choice. I don't hear many others complaining about these compressor noises, so that tells me that it must only be affecting a small amount of Skys. I wonder if just replacing the whole darn compressor unit would solve the problem? Have you brought that up to your dealer?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, I've asked them about just replacing the compressor and they just act like General Motors wouldn't let them. It seems they are only allowed to do what the fixes are in the service bulletins! I personally just think they don't want to deal with it!

My boyfriend, who works for a race team and used to be a mechanic on regular cars, says that if its not a bad compressor, it may just be overfilled with freon. He says that he has accidentally overfilled a compressor before and it has made that noise. Also, it kicks itself off when the pressure gets too high - which would explain why mine stops working at random times (not when accelerating, etc.) I'm going to have them check this next time I go in.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I stumbled upon a few threads on the Sol forum regarding this A/C issue...and it does seem like many have gotten their compressors replaced. You can bet that I'll be pushing for a brand new compressor when I bring it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A/C noise

I too, have noise coming from the A/C, but it has to be connected to the compressor, remember the compressor kicks in every time you turn on the Rec fan. I just returned today from my Saturn dealer and they did a side by side test with another SKY, they had on their lot, and it too made noise but, not as bad as mine. Their Sky had 139 miles on it and mine now has 3000 miles, so that could be the difference. I have also been in contact with the SATURN Corporation and they were not aware of the noise and did not know anything about a SERVICE BULLETIN to fix the problem. I encourage all that are having A/C noise problems to follow up on your complaints to the Customer Service line at 1-800-553-6000.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I get a noise from my A/C also. I believe that it may be the compressor clutch.
It makes a chattering noise. This usually happens upon startup...at least for me.
By all means have it checked out but in my experience it may be normal.
My CJ-7 would make the same noise when the A/C clutch would deactivate the compressor.
I now report everything, every clunk and rattle, and get it in writing.
I got passed over in the tail light recall for a 00 Saturn LW 1 because I never complained about a tail light problem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts