Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question:
Have any members noted the exhaust turning blue? I was in the parking lot of Safeway and had been idling for 10 minutes or so and when my wife came back out I revved the engine pretty good twice.
A small cloud of smoke came out and drifted by us and it didn't happen again. Is this related to idling for a long time at low RPMs or is it particular to the 2.4 EcoTech VVT engine?
Really curious about this even though I have a great warranty and theres a nice safety net if somethings really wrong.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Blue smoke is never a good sign.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue smoke is never a good sign.
:thumbs: Thanks Skyfan, you keep me honest and aware. Back to the gist of my question though:
1. Am I the only member that noted this occuring or has it evidenced itself to others in this manner.

2. Is there something about an ecotech idling for a long time that causes this effect?

I figured by this point the car is broken in and I just had my oil changed alst week end at Saturn. Didn't notice it before then.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I read in some motor mag on the SKY that low idling on this ecotech motor was actually harder on it than fast.
:eek:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have a 91 Chevy pickup with 187,000 miles that produces a little smoke when first started. This is caused by oil seeping around the valve guides and is quite normal for 187,000 miles. New cars and people should not smoke.

·
Registered
514 Posts
valve stem seal problem. Usually doesn't show up until high milage. Valve job will fix it, EXPENSIVE but warranty should cover it, let us know.

If its just white and not blue white, could be head gasket, the car is too new to have either of these problems so let us know what your dealer says.

What does the smoke smell like?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Here's a question:
Have any members noted the exhaust turning blue? I was in the parking lot of Safeway and had been idling for 10 minutes or so and when my wife came back out I revved the engine pretty good twice.
A small cloud of smoke came out and drifted by us and it didn't happen again. Is this related to idling for a long time at low RPMs or is it particular to the 2.4 EcoTech VVT engine?
Really curious about this even though I have a great warranty and theres a nice safety net if somethings really wrong.
Eh, my friends were driving behind me the other day and they said my car was smoking nasty. I never really noticed before until i started it up in the rain yesterday and had some smoke come up and drift over the car.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well,
I observed all day today and we put well over a hundred miles on her. Not once did I see or notice anything. I also didn't let her idle long either. That may be the test I have to try next. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll try that this week sometime and post my results, if it is smokin' then off to the dealer she'll go for a checkup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, why are you idling your car for ten minutes?? Shut it off if it's going to sit for more than a minute. Idling isn't good for an engine and it wastes fuel.

Could be your valve guide seals/valve guides (as mentioned by a previous poster), but that is highly unlikely. Your clue about a recent oil change may be more telling. If it was overfilled, it might exhibit the same sympton. Go check your oil level and see if it is above the full mark.

Hope it's that easy! If not you've got a great warranty to cover it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Eh, my friends were driving behind me the other day and they said my car was smoking nasty. I never really noticed before until i started it up in the rain yesterday and had some smoke come up and drift over the car.
Start up will always exhibit "smoke". This is just the water vapor that the engine makes in the combustion process. When it's raining or cold it shows up even more.

If the steam/water vapor is what you are seeing, no worries. Truly nasty smoke that you should worry about is thick and smelly. The smell can tip off an educated nose to what it may be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My buddy ownns a Solstice and when he was dynoing it, on the decel he had a blue flame bout a foot long shoot out of the tail pipe, not once, but everytime, it was pretty cool, just like the bat mobile.

·
Registered
514 Posts
your friends car is back firing, does he run a catalytic converter?

Anyway back to the valve stem seals / guides:

Symptoms

The classic symptom of bad valve stem seals is, if when starting the car, after it has set for a little while (say over night), clouds of smoke appear from the exhaust and then stops after a few seconds.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chwilka/ValveStemSealReplacement.htm

I would be simply dumbfounded if a new GM engine needed this service so soon.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Start up will always exhibit "smoke". This is just the water vapor that the engine makes in the combustion process. When it's raining or cold it shows up even more.

If the steam/water vapor is what you are seeing, no worries. Truly nasty smoke that you should worry about is thick and smelly. The smell can tip off an educated nose to what it may be.
This isn't water vapor. I had my friend follow me last night he said it smokes when i stomp on it and when i'm stopped at a light and then give it gas. I've had a problem with soot tho, so we'll see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts