Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road and Track's Nov isssue has an article on BMW's z2 starting in 2010. It will be lighter and have a smaller engine than the z4. Engine will be 2L, 4Cyl, like the sky. There will be a turbo version, like the sky. It will have a manual top, like the sky. See a pattern anyone? I guess BMW is following in the steps of the Sky, S2k, and Miata. The Z2 will replace the Z4. Now we just need to figure out how to make the Sky 1000 lb ligher like the z2, and we'll be in great shape. The Sky still wins in my book though. The looks and "personality" of the Sky are much more pleasing to me:)

Base 2.0L 4 Cyl: 140 hp
Turbo Version: 270 hp
Wt: 2000lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im Sure the Sky Redline will Totally beat the BMW in price and replacement parts & labor n what not.:cheers:
too right!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i actually don't like the looks that much. One thing that kills it for me is the big giant BMW emblem on the side panels of the car. Granted it's a concept drawing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't like it but have you seen the Gull Wing door hinges at Kappasphere for the sky and solstice, out of sight, having them installed in the spring.

·
Registered
239 Posts
About time BMW made a more price competitive roadster...I know that is an artists rendition but...yuck...:rolleyes: I hope not. I had a Z3 and loved the looks, the power, and handling...even the "hand powered" top. I have never liked the Z4...to many angles and power on the 3.0i is just over 200 hp...but the cost is astronomical. No thanks I will wait for my Sky Red Line...:D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I don't think a Z2 would ever replace a Z4, it might supliment it as an additional car. That's if such a car ever exists and ever comes to the USA.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
Correct, brentil. The Z2 was announced as an entry-level car, slotted in under the Z4.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Z-Family

If BMW decided to produce the Z2 it will be an extension of the Z-Family.

Here are some provisional data:

Model...................Z2................Z4(new)........Z8(new)

Wheelbase (m/").....2.4/94.5........2.5/98.4........2.7/106.3
Length (m/")..........3.9/153.5.......4.1/161.4......4.5/177.2
Heigth (m/")..........1.25/49.2.......1.3/51.2........1.3/51.2

Engines:

• Z2 1.8i, 150 hp, 6-Speed
• Z2 2.0i, 200 hp, 6-Speed
• Z2 2.0iS (Soft-Turbo level I), 250 hp, 6-Speed, or double clutch paddle shifter
• Z2 M (HP-Turbo level II), 300 hp, 6-Speed, or double clutch paddle shifter

Here is an article in german Autobild week 28/2006:

http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=12010

In german but with some more pics :thumbs:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Correct, brentil. The Z2 was announced as an entry-level car, slotted in under the Z4.
JRinKY is correct. BMW will continue to produce the Z4 to compete with Porsch, etc. The Z2 will be introduced to compete with the Miata, Solstice, etc. Incidently I recently spent two weeks traveling in Germany and guess what. For every Z3 or Z4 I saw I saw five Miatas. There is a Miata dealer in every little burg. The Miata is a very popular car in Germany. Perhaps that is why BMW wants to come out with a scaled down version?????

·
Registered
422 Posts
About time BMW made a more price competitive roadster...I know that is an artists rendition but...yuck...:rolleyes: I hope not. I had a Z3 and loved the looks, the power, and handling...even the "hand powered" top. I have never liked the Z4...to many angles and power on the 3.0i is just over 200 hp...but the cost is astronomical. No thanks I will wait for my Sky Red Line...:D
The look is a question of taste, but maybe BMW could get some more US customers if they would offer the low price Z4 2.0L 4 cylinder engine with 150 hp, which is available in Europe (but build in Spartanburg).
Manual tranny only, no A/C (but possible as option) and 10,000 € less then the 3.0SI.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bmw rules

love my sky, but bmw quality is much better. too many little cheap parts on this sky. the top is lame, and the plastics are low quality. but for 25k this is what u get....

i would get this new bmw over the sky in a second....

looks great......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts