Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what kind of boost the redline is running? The brochure from saturn shows the panel displaying 19psi which seems a little high for a stock turbo in the first place and seems like there should be greater HP gains than what it has if it's pushing that much boost. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well....seeing as how the 2.2l Ecotec only puts out 144 hp, I'd say you're getting close to a 100 hp gain with that Turbo (maybe not that much since it also has the Direct Injection, and whatever other minor things). Even so, 70-80 hp from a Turbo pushing 19 PSI seems about right to me. The S/C on the ION Redline pushed 12 PSI, and it only gets 205 hp. 19 PSI is what everything has claimed for the SKY RL so far.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
From what I've been told, there is no specific "boost" level and the amount of boost depends on the ambient conditions. The engine software is set up to deliver a certain torque, so the turbo unit is controlled electronically to deliver that torque. On cold days, you might see low pressures, where on hotter days you may see 19 PSI - whatever pressure is required to get the correct mass of air to produce the torque.

HTH.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Sounds a bit different from the turbos I'm used to but anything I've ever driven has been aftermarket rather than factory. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of boost the redline is running? The brochure from saturn shows the panel displaying 19psi which seems a little high for a stock turbo in the first place and seems like there should be greater HP gains than what it has if it's pushing that much boost. Any thoughts?
OMFG thank you!!! - I thought I was the only one asking this question.

I just know it's a Borg & Warner Dual Scroll Turbo, that's it - anybody got size stats, etc?

19 lbs should give this thing WAY more then 260HP.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Have a look at the torque plot for a picture of what K-man describes.
The torque line certainly looks computer controlled.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4602&d=1142107765

There's been some interesting stuff posted about this.
I'd have to search around a bit to find some of it, but here's an older writeup from Jan 06.
http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/autoshows/06la/brands/pontiac/LA_Ecotec_Pontiac_Oview.htm

Turbocharging system

A unique, dual-scroll turbocharger is partnered with an air-to-air intercooling system to provide up to approximately 20 psi (1.38 bar) of power-enhancing boost. The dual-scroll turbocharger delivers nearly instant response, as dual exhaust passages from the engine to the turbine housing guide exhaust gas to the turbine. This reduces lag time, or spool-up, at low rpm.

“There is virtually no lag with this system,” said Groff. “Throttle response is immediate. The engine acts like a larger displacement engine.”

The turbocharger is matched to the engine’s displacement and performance objectives. It is supported by the air-to-air intercooling system, which uses fresh air drawn through a heat exchanger to reduce the temperature of the warmer compressed air forced through the intake system by the turbocharger. Inlet temperature is reduced by approximately 212 degrees (100 degrees C), enhancing performance because cooler air is denser and promotes optimal combustion.

·
Registered
653 Posts
19 lbs should give this thing WAY more then 260HP.
And I think we'll see that happen at some point in the future. The biggest clue to that is the fact that the engine redline is pretty low to start with. I will be very surprised if GM does not release 'Stage kits' for the SKY RL like they have for the ION RL. One of those kits could be a simple computer re-programming to allow the engine to run to a higher RL and/or pump in more fuel. Still plenty of extra power left in that car. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
And I think we'll see that happen at some point in the future. The biggest clue to that is the fact that the engine redline is pretty low to start with. I will be very surprised if GM does not release 'Stage kits' for the SKY RL like they have for the ION RL. One of those kits could be a simple computer re-programming to allow the engine to run to a higher RL and/or pump in more fuel. Still plenty of extra power left in that car. :D
Man oh man - I can't wait! and w3rd on the grapevine is the Ecotec can take up to 500HP on STOCK internals.......

WTF is this car the 2nd coming of the Nissan 240SX/SR20DET :willy:

Like MickeyD's - I'm lovin' it! :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts