Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody know what the stock psi rating and the max rating for the turbo in the SKY RL ? I'm planning, when i get one, I'm going to make mods to the waist gate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well stock boost was posted at 18psi in automobile magazine. 19 psi somewhere else and 20 psi in an earlier gm press release. I'm guessing it'll boost to 20 then fall off much like the mitsubishi evo turbos do. They are also dual scroll turbos. I'm not sure what the max psi is but based on previous experience with a similar turbo it won't be efficient much after 24 to 26 psi. I'm betting that this car will be able to run about 300 to 350 whp with this turbo. A good tune and perhaps cat deletes should free up some good power. Hope this helps. James

·
Registered
820 Posts
Kappaman seemed to indicate that the PSI was variable based on environmental conditions: ie heat, atmospheric pressure, etc..... I asked him about the fact that the pictures on the saturn website show 19psi, and Automobile Mag stated 18psi.:thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking 20 psi is what the readout goes up to. I don't think it will produce that much boost at the factory settings. I could be wrong, but that's my take on this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just get a manual boost controller & up the boost another 4 or 5 pounds. Although I must say, that turbo more than likely is going to loose its efficiency around that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
5thgenluder said:
They are also dual scroll turbos.
What does this mean? Does this mean that there are two wheels, a big one and a small one, for different rpm ranges?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
jarcher said:
What does this mean? Does this mean that there are two wheels, a big one and a small one, for different rpm ranges?
Dual scroll part in this terminology means "twin-vein" in essence. There are two routes for the exhaust gas to enter the Turbocharger split between the 4 piston banks. So gas from two of the firing pistons enters one route then the next two pistons fire and their gas enters the other route. It permits a continuous flow of exhaust gases that do not interfere with each other on their passage to the Turbocharger.

·
Registered
422 Posts
jarcher said:
Here is a pic where you can see the twin scroll (not dual wheel)*)
ecoturbo_3313-10-3.jpg
LNF Turbo section

*) mistake corrected

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ah, so there are two drive wheels (for lack of a better term) and one compressor wheel? Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
6 Posts
two channel sizes

from what i've read, the two inlet channels are supposed to be different sizes. the smaller one compacts the air traveling through it creating higher pressure to get the turbo to start spinning at lower rpm's. then the larger channel lets more air to the turbo once the engine has reached higher rpms. this way the trubo is producing boost through a larger and earlier section of the rpm range.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
jarcher said:
Ah, so there are two drive wheels (for lack of a better term) and one compressor wheel? Thanks for the replies!
No there is only one drive wheel and one compressor wheel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
brentil said:
No there is only one drive wheel and one compressor wheel.
So the same wheel is fed by different pipes then?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts