Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sky is on order (and has been since March), and I've a couple questions. First, a comparison.
Toyota Solara 3,417 lbs. 24/33 MPG (City/Hwy)
Mazda MX-5 2,473 lbs. 25/30
Mustang V6 3,477 lbs. 19/28
Mitsubishi Spyder 3,505 lbs. 22/29
Intrepid V6/200HP 3,422 lbs. 21/30 EPA; 25.3 real world w/Auto
Saturn Sky 2,892 lbs. 20/28

So, what's wrong with this picture? Except for the MX-5, all of these cars are heavier but get better mileage.

Anyway, I saw the video for the Magnaflow exhausts and they really bring back the memories of a friends MG-TF. My questions are these. As I drive about 40 miles a day to & from work (32 xway/ 8 city), is there any aftermarket product that would raise the SKy into the same bracket as the Solara or even my Intrepid? I thought a 5-speed mashbox and a four banger would do a lot better. Thank you.

Forest Green w/ Tan leather & tan top
5-sp Manual
Rear spoiler (the wife likes the way it looks)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have owned 2001 Miata the combination MPG of in town and Hwy was 25mpg. My sky is at 27.2 right now...and the difference btwn the Miata and sky is night and day......the sky out performs, out styles, and is 100 time more comfortable....I drive 85 miles one way..with people all ways turning their heads to see my CPR Sky......Seal9..:cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
27.2 is awesome. I'm going to assume manual tranny and with your drive --most of that is highway cruising, right? Any guess what you're getting driving around town off-highway? And what Octane?

·
Registered
108 Posts
First tank yesterday averaging 22.8 in town. This is during break in without any mods. I plan on adding CAT and CAI after which I will have it tuned for 93 Octane, which I hear increases milage also. See the threads on that.

YedraSky

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Its about 50/50...The MPG on the SKY should be in this area...if not the ECM needs to be reset and only use 91 oc. in the car....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been getting 25 around town...I have not done any highway driving. Car has 4000+, use 90 octane, Mobil 1 and manual trans.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As far as I know, our ECM tune will get you more fuel economy than any other bolt on mod. Check out the solstice forum for more info..

·
Registered
322 Posts
"GTPprix". I downloaded your information. As soon as the car arrives I'll overnight the ECM (well after some solid driving time..:D ...) at the time I do my first oil change and am out of "break-in"

Following USMC's lead, and If I'm doing the math right, with the factory CAI and your "refresh" I should come in just at 200 HP.

This is the exact number I want to hit as my calculations tell me this could well be a nice range for my particular driving habits/skills. I'm thinking that this would put the car just about 6.8 for a 0 to 60, at the same time delivering in the range of 27 mpg. Not too shabby for this AARP driver.:D

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
not that it'd be very practical or cheap, has anyone wondered just how the sky would handle with a AWD conversion?

Near 50/50 weight (at least before the AWD conversion and the new drivetrain) along with decent power, wide wheel base, and stiffer suspension. The sky could be a beast.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
V8 Kappas are true beasts, no AWD needed....

not that it'd be very practical or cheap, has anyone wondered just how the sky would handle with a AWD conversion?

Near 50/50 weight (at least before the AWD conversion and the new drivetrain) along with decent power, wide wheel base, and stiffer suspension. The sky could be a beast.
All wheel drive would be difficult to do given the current design of the chassis. Interestingly, the front hubs are already splined, but there would be a substantial amount of re-engineering to make it AWD.

The Kappa was designed as a rear wheel drive platform, and that was in keeping with the goals for the platform--a rear wheel drive roadster, designed from the beginning to be stiff enough to make it as solid as a fixed roof vehicle.

Also, the AWD does cost a bit in fuel economy, probably about 2 to 3 mpg because of additional drive line losses through the two extra differentials and double the number of bearings.

The poster who started this thread, RealGomer, is very concerned about the difference in 1 or 2 MPG--28 HWY Sky vs 30 for the intrepid., and for the city ratings, 20 for the Sky vs 21 for the Intrepid. Thus, that penalty of 2 to 3 mpg would make the difference closer to 4 to 5 MPG, so probably not going in the right direction to answer this particular question.

Since the Corvette does just fine at being a beast with rear wheel drive only, there's one sure fire way to make the Sky a beast: Do a V-8 conversion. Much cheaper than trying to go to all wheel drive, and the results are nothing short of amazing.

However, we've strayed pretty far away from the original posters question.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Best way to improve mileage: set cruise control at 60 instead of 75...

The Sky and the Miata are roadsters. Their aerodynamics are not as good as a sedan like the Intrepid, so despite the differences in weight, the economy numbers are probably going to be lower with a roadster than with a sedan.

Having said that, your best bet for increasing your observed fuel economy rests in your right foot. Hard accelerations use more fuel than a more gradual approach, and cruising at 85 will yield about 26 MPG where a more leisurely pace at 60 will net you around or a bit over 30 MPG. For really high numbers, set the cruise control at 50, and you'll look at closer to 34 MPG.

Indeed custom tuning on the ECM and other modifications may make a slight difference in the fuel economy, but the grin factor makes the right foot very heavy, and it becomes difficult to realize the savings... ;)

For cruising speed, there will be little difference between a cold air intake and the original equipment intake. The CAI will produce greater air flow at wider throttle settings, but for fuel economy, there will be little effect. The stock exhaust during cruise is also fairly free flowing, being a 2.5" system, so no substantial gains there either.

Really, the grin factor is the biggest decrement of the mileage. If you can keep your foot out of it, you'll find it to be a decent machine for fuel economy. But who can keep their foot out of it--it's a roadster, after all!:D

·
Super Moderator
11,487 Posts
^^

Couldn't have said it better myself. With my cruise control set to 70 I see about 29-30 hwy. Once you get over 70 your ecconomy starts to drop off considerably.

Keep in mind gearing plays a huge role in this too. I have a 97 Grand Prix that went 13.4 in the 1/4 mile yet could still get 30-32 mpg highway if you cruised at 70. 4th gear in those cars is REALLY tall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts