Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One week ago I loaned Borla Performance Industries my car for a 7-10 business day project to engineer a new Borla Cat-Back Exhaust for the SKY. I got my first updates one week into the project. These consisted of a call from David Borla himself yesterday, where he promised to hook me up with his “Research Guys” today. That call took place, and while short in duration it contained a ton of information. :willy:

Here it is, in no particular order...

My baby is fine, but it currently has a big hole where the stock muffler used to be. The “Research Guys” have come up with a solution, and they’re going to be fitting it perhaps as soon as tomorrow (Wednesday.) Questions now are centered around what type of tip to mount to fit that “crazy-shaped hole.” Note the use of the singular variant of “tip” and “hole.” I asked about that, since David indicated to me yesterday that I would be getting a dual. :confused:

It turns out that Borla wants to offer a single-outlet solution for sure. There is some concern that the cost of a dual-outlet might be too expensive when combined with buying the RedLine rear fascia to gain the dual outlets. Of course, the owner can elect to hack through the existing rear fascia, but certainly there are buyers who won’t want to hack off pieces of their new SKYs and so Borla will be offering a single-outlet solution – at a minimum.

As for me, I am getting a dual outlet solution. They are fully capable of engineering that, and my baby will be fitted with the first. They will be cutting through the fascia to make it fit. (I may buy a RedLine fascia when they become available from my local Saturn Parts department depending on how the hole looks that they cut.) The dual-outlet solution will have one pipe coming into the muffler, then exit the muffler via dual, functioning outlets. (No fake-o tip on the left just to make it look good; they will both be live.) That’s apparently all worked out, and they will be fitting that to my car. :D

The question that the “Research Guy” had was whether or not the “Marketing Guys” will offer a dual. Because of the concerns about added cost of a new fascia or reluctance to cut the existing fascia, they’re a little bit cautious about going all-out and committing to a dual-outlet at this time. That’s up to the marketing folks, but I’m sure that if all of you say, “But I wanted a Borla Dualie” then they’d certainly be willing to offer that, too. But that’s gonna be up to their marketing folks (and you!) :thumbs:

There are some interesting points about the dualie. David told me early on in the process that dualies that required folks to modify their cars just did not sell well, so he was reluctant to commit to that. During our phone call yesterday, I asked him about the dualie and he first told me that they would fit a dual to my baby. He then offered that in all his experience there was really only one other car where the owners preferred the dualie – body modification and all – over the single, and that was on the PT Cruiser. (That actually sort of makes sense; a dualie would certainly compliment the retro hot rod look.)

The “Research Guy” said that they had a Solstice in the shop right now, too, and they were looking at doing similar solutions for the two cars. By using common parts, they could offer both solutions at a lower price by spreading the engineering costs over more units. He said that they would definitely offer different tips for the SKY and the Solstice – the Solstice would have round tips to compliment the curvy lines of the car, and the SKY would have some sort of square tip. And when it comes to the rear fascias, the two cars are very different. The Solstice has a honeycomb pattern, with a molded “border” over the exhaust that juts into the honeycomb area. If the Solstice fascia was cut on the left to fit a dualie, the cut would have to hack into the honeycomb and would not have the molded border, and thus look “tacky” (or certainly at least asymmetrical.) The SKY, on the other hand, has a perfectly flat fascia, and even has a similar indent on the left to match the exhaust opening on the right making it an excellent candidate to fit a dual-outlet and making it look really good without replacing the fascia. So maybe – MAYBE – that will be enough to put it over the edge and they’ll offer a dual for the SKY for the masses. :yesnod:

I asked about the sound that I would get, was told to expect the “Standard Borla Sound.” According to the expert, the internal baffles in the muffler mask out high-frequency sounds, but the low tones come through making the exhaust sound a lot deeper and throatier. I was told that it’s not going to whine, it will just sound like power. I asked if they were going to do any sound clips and was told that they won’t be doing that during the initial test fitting phase. They don’t have the right equipment to do that in the lab, and so he said the .WAV files that they could produce would not at all indicate the actual sound of the car. I can wait until I hear the actual car; they know what I am looking for and they say that’s exactly what I’ll get.

In terms of progress, I asked them if they had baselined my car on the Dyno with the stock exhaust, and I was told “No, we haven’t.”

I said, “But I thought we were going to have a baseline with the stock exhaust so we would be able to measure the performance gains of the Borla exhaust!” :eek:

The “Research Guy” patiently explained to me, “We will. We go over to the Dyno with all the parts, and we swap out the various components and do all the runs at the same time under the same conditions.”

Oh. After admitting that I felt a little foolish, I agreed that this approach made sense. AND, my official GM Cold Air Intake arrived today, so I will be sending that FedEx to Borla so they can test with that on the Dyno, too. This should allow us to see how the car rates in a stock configuration, with the custom exhaust by itself, and finally with a custom exhaust combined with the CAI. :thumbs:

They will probably mount the single tomorrow and take some pictures before they cut the rear fascia. I asked for some snapshots to be sent to me via e-mail, and when I receive them I will post them here so you all can see what the single will look like. This will also give me a chance to see how the tip looks on the car. Once those photos are done, they’ll cut the fascia to accommodate my dual (they said they were working on the template for that today; I’m pleased to hear the word “template” and that they’re not just gonna turn Bubba loose with a saber saw and a sledge hammer or something!) :smash:

Also, in terms of the tips, they said that the tips that they think they are going to go with will not have the Borla logo embossed on them. Apparently, the tips that they think will look best don’t come with the logo. But the muffler itself will have an embossed Borla logo on it, but you probably won’t be able to see that unless the car is on a lift.

I think that’s all the information that I have. Once I get the pictures of the single, you know I will post them. I will of course do that with pictures of the dual, too. As for timing, it looks like I am going to have to spend another weekend without my baby; they don’t think they’ll be done with all the various tests until early next week. I hope I can take another week apart. Ouch! :banghead:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great update!

Keep us posted. I, for one, am very interested in the results!

Thanks!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
420 Posts
just one more week then you have the first Sky with dual-tip! (how many can claim that? :D )

whether or not it makes to actual mass production (which I'm certain it will because there IS demand out there for duals, hehe), I'm pretty sure the single-tip solution will be pretty good as well.

BTW I have a second-gen Miata for my other car and I have duals on it, looks great!

can't wait to hear about those dyno results and see those dualie pics!
I hope the tips turn out nicely!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Cool -- Like watching early shows of the Six Million Dollar Man.... :cool:

(We can make him faster.......:thumbs: )

·
Registered
251 Posts
jdigiant,

I think I can say a big "THANK YOU" from all of us for donating your car for a couple weeks in order to benefit all of us :grouphug: Looking forward to the dyno results and the new look to an already hot car!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
friggin awesome!!!!!!

Its unfortunate that vendors aren't producing rear facias for the sky like they did for the SOL. I understand that our facia is a little more complex due to the back up light being part of it, but I would have bet that at least one aftermarket company would have produced something. :banghead:

oh well, guess I'll end up spending a gazillion dollars on the GM RL one- :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the next update!!!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Whereas I think the dual would look good, I really would like to keep it as stock as possible, so think a single exhaust that looks as stock as possible would be what I would go for.:thumbs:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for the update :thumbs: Can't wait to see the dyno results and the finished exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Hey Jdigiant great update. You should contact them and see if they will take some pictures of it up on the lift for you. That may be easier than you having to try and crawl under the car later for a decent shot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
TexSon said:
Whereas I think the dual would look good, I really would like to keep it as stock as possible, so think a single exhaust that looks as stock as possible would be what I would go for.:thumbs:
I second that. I'm definitely interested but without the dual mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts