Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my brake discs are a light orange color from oxidation. It's a minor detail, but it detracts from the clean look of the wheels. Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done about it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drive it.
Use the brakes.
It will go away. It's a normal condition for the break rotors.

:cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is the way mine look after I wash it. After using the brakes the rust comes off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's just "flash rust". All un-primered steel will develop this unless there is absolutely no humidity at all. it's just natures way of returning the ore that made your car back to it's natural state. Drive around the block and stop a couple times and it's gone again. Wipe out your wheels afterwards and you are good as new again:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I have found that the best material to polish the rotors is a brake pad. Here's what you do.

1. Raise the car and put it on jack stands
2. Remove 20 lug nuts, and all four rims
3. Disassemble the calipers, and remove the brake pads from the calipers
4. Get down on your hands and knees, and rub the brake pads all over the surface of the vertical rotors
4a. I find the vertical rotor rubbing to be a stupid way to go; it's actually much easier to remove the rotors, place them on your work bench, and then rub the brake pads over the horizontal rotors. Why do it the stupid, hard inefficient way? Be lazy and let gravity be your friend and do all the work for you!
5. Reinstall the rotors if you removed them
6. Reinsert the brake pads into the calipers
7. Reinstall the calipers
8. Replace the wheels, and lug nuts (use a torque wrench to make sure they are tight, but not too tight)
9. Carefully lower the car back to the ground
10. Drive the car to a scenic sunny location; adjust the car several times to make sure that the sunlight directly hits your rotors - fine adjustment of car position here is the key; I find that a low early-morning or late-evening sun works best
11. Admire your finely polished rotors in the beautiful sunlight

Note:

If you are in a hurry, you can eliminate steps 1-9; That's what I usually do!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The zinc coating will sacrifice itself to protect the iron rotor material that it covers from rusting for as long as the zinc remains. However, zinc being relatively soft will get worn off of the rotor braking faces by the brake pads. As the others have said, don't worry about the 'flash rust', it's normal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've noticed that my brake discs are a light orange color from oxidation. It's a minor detail, but it detracts from the clean look of the wheels. Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done about it?
The rust is standard...you didn't pay EXTRA for it, did you?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's the price you pay when you have wheels that actually let you SEE the disks... :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks jdigiant. I think you have too much time on your hands:lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
If you are always driving the car, the rotors will never have time to rust.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I was actually noticing it today on Raven. I was, shall we say, more than a little upset that my chrome wheels look less special when shadowed by rusty brakes. It is annoying as heck but if you guys say it goes away so be it.

One question though...people say if you drive it, it will go away, but I have about 1K miles on my car that I got last month, and it actually seems to be getting MORE rusty!

·
Super Moderator
11,487 Posts
The zinc coating will sacrifice itself to protect the iron rotor material that it covers from rusting for as long as the zinc remains. However, zinc being relatively soft will get worn off of the rotor braking faces by the brake pads. As the others have said, don't worry about the 'flash rust', it's normal.
This is true. However, over time the areas of your rotors that do not come in contact with the pads will show this rust too. That rust, of course, does not get worn away with driving. Again, doesn't hurt anything but looks horrible.

Zinc coated rotors will have the zinc coating on all these surfaces. However, the surface where the pad meets the rotor will wear and will, again, rust. As has been said though this rust will be removed very quickly once you begin driving the vehicle again.

I love the Zinc rotors I have on my GP. They look great through my wheels...the same issue I'll have with my Sky rotors I imagine some day...but so far they are looking fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this made me a nervous wreck at first, not being car savvy at all, i noticed the rust and was like, wtf? how could i be rusting already, glad to know those who know their stuff say it's all good!

thanks fellas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts