Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has noticed a build up of brake dust on the front wheels and or if there are ceramix brake pads available for the Sky.

I have seen major brake dust problems on some vehicles - not so much on others. Of course combinations of wheel finnish, pad material, and how agressively you apply the brakes are all factors.

Just thinking that it might be worthwhile to install ceramic pads on day one and not ever have to deal with corrosive metalic brake dust.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Excuse me for dumbness -- but wouldn't we need them on all 4 wheels?? Disk Front and Back...

·
Registered
115 Posts
go with ceramic pads, if they can be put on the Sky. I had them put on my old Volvo C70 and there was an amazing difference. No more two-tone rims (e.g. dark on the front, light on the back)...................:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Excuse me for dumbness -- but wouldn't we need them on all 4 wheels?? Disk Front and Back...
I don't think you HAVE to. Front to rear brake bias valves are used in race cars. More or less braking front to rear shouldn't be a big issue if it's not too bad and you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lil GTO said:
Just curious if anyone has noticed a build up of brake dust on the front wheels and or if there are ceramix brake pads available for the Sky.

I have seen major brake dust problems on some vehicles - not so much on others. Of course combinations of wheel finnish, pad material, and how agressively you apply the brakes are all factors.

Just thinking that it might be worthwhile to install ceramic pads on day one and not ever have to deal with corrosive metalic brake dust.
Well with 6000+ miles on mine I have not seen any brake dust problem to date....may be due to large openings allowing A lot of air to flow around the brakes and wheels....

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
3800 and no problems here. I also wash her no less than every Friday so that may help reduce the build up.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe

Rick Tinley Park said:
Possibly - I think the only car I have had with 4 wheel disk was a Fiero - which is close to 50/50 weight distribution - but I think still more brake dust build-up on the front wheels than the rear.

And maybe the Red Line will have a different pattern of brake wear due to the traction control and stabilitrack.

But the basic question is whether the factory standard combination of components really has a noticble problem or if it is a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't have brake dust on mind, or for that matter any dust at all. PROBABLY BEACAUSE I DON'T HAVE MY SKY !!......yet !! :willy:

MRSVIPER

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lil GTO said:
Possibly - I think the only car I have had with 4 wheel disk was a Fiero - which is close to 50/50 weight distribution - but I think still more brake dust build-up on the front wheels than the rear.

And maybe the Red Line will have a different pattern of brake wear due to the traction control and stabilitrack.

But the basic question is whether the factory standard combination of components really has a noticble problem or if it is a non-issue.
Any car, disc brakes or drum brakes, ceramic or metallic, 50/50 weight distribution or not will always wear the front pads more or the front linings more because of the forward weight shift when stopping. Front brakes do much more than 50% of the work in stopping the car regardless of the other factors. One of the reasons why you get more dust buildup in the front of any vehicle.

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
2800 miles on mine and no problems so far-I try to wash her at least every week and a half.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got LOTS of brake dust-front and back. Maybe due to my YELLOW SKY it's easier to see, plus I detail it after EVERY drive--spray with McGuires Detailer & buff with microfiber towel, so to me all the black dusty film is obvious to see & it sure gets all over the towels.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ozyman222 said:
Any car, disc brakes or drum brakes, ceramic or metallic, 50/50 weight distribution or not will always wear the front pads more or the front linings more because of the forward weight shift when stopping. Front brakes do much more than 50% of the work in stopping the car regardless of the other factors. One of the reasons why you get more dust buildup in the front of any vehicle.
that is also why the front brake rotors and pads are very much LARGER than the rears....
I wash mine at least once a week, maybe that is why I never notice any, or maybe cause I never use the brakes much..... too busy driving to stop...:thumbs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
marklynn70 said:
3800 and no problems here. I also wash her no less than every Friday so that may help reduce the build up.
Both of my Saturn L-Series have had TERRIBLE brake dust issues -- after even 100 miles the dust is very evident on the front wheels. That's a good sign that there haven't been too many dust complaints, at least for folks like me who are really tired of the stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Braking

SkyMan 07 said:
that is also why the front brake rotors and pads are very much LARGER than the rears....
I wash mine at least once a week, maybe that is why I never notice any, or maybe cause I never use the brakes much..... too busy driving to stop...:thumbs:
When the day comes (hopefully sooner than later) that I can order a Sky - I will get the manual tranny - and I have noticed that my brakes tend to last far longer than for example the brakes on an automatic that my wife drove for a few years.

On my 96 Civic Manual, I replaced the front brake pads at about 70,000 or so and then had the front pads and rotors changed at about 140,000 and the rear shoes at 140,000. (although my wife was driving it the last 20,000 or so).

On her 2000 Civic Automatic, the front brakes were nearly gone before 30,000.

On my 04 Civic Manual, I am at 30,000 miles and not sure how much the brakes have worn but very little dust problem. I tend to not use the brakes a lot and not use them very hard when I do. I try to drive with enough of a gap between me and the car ahead for example so that when the guy ahead slows or brakes I can either lay off the gas, coast in neutral, or downshift to slow enough to not use the brakes - and I am familiar enough with most of the local traffic lights that I can adjust my speed a bit up or down and not have to stop. Before I worked at home - I picked a route home from the office where the freeway exit has only a yield sign - and by simply using nuetral far enough back on the freeway I could go from 65 or so on the highway down to 35 or so at the end of the exit without using the brakes and only sometimes downshifting in order to avoid traffic - and then had all the lights timed that the next couple of miles or so to my house could be covered on some days without using the brakes at all until the stop sign about 5 houses down the street. (helps gas mileage too - compared to an automatic where folks i know either have their foot on the gas or on the brake)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
There is definitely brake dust. I have the painted wheels and it may be more noticible on those. Will have to watch and clean them regularly, or the dust will eat into the wheels.:eek:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
twirp said:
Today I painted the front calipers on my wifes Sky. I was amazed at just how much brake dust there was with only 214 miles on it. I also noticed that the disc pads have a notch right in the middle of them that runs vertically. This groove had small pieces wedged in it, I took my air compressor and blew it clear so I hope this helps. Lucky me I get to take on the rear calipers tomorrow so we'll se how they look. I would say when it comes to changing the front pads it would take about 30 minutes to knock out both sides total (very easy job).:thumbs:
The small pieces, depending on where they are, may be the low pad squealers (for lack of a better name). Small pieces of metal designed to make noise when the pads get low to alert you it is time for a brake job. That being the case, they won't blow out.:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Twirp do not REPEAT DO NOT blow out the pads without a mask of some sort to keep the fine particles out of your lungs.Why because you could end up like me. Yes I have Pulmanary Fibrosis from small particles in my now defunked lungs, no it did not show up immediately but it showed up 3 years ago and I was a mechanic back in the 70's and 80's. Now I just warned you but you do what you will. Can I have your lung? I am looking for an A- lung to replace either my left or right one......Smoking did not help either. All it takes is fine particles to irritate the membrane between the air sacs and the veins and then it scar tissues in a couple of years. It is also cummulative over the years... Skip...knows what he is talking about....:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts