Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
twirp said:
I was wondering if anybody out here has any experience dyeing plastic? My wife has a red sky & we are wanting to dye the "cyclops" (third brake light) red. I have googled this project with not much luck. I have to take her car in tomorrow for the sill plate coming off & plan to try to order a new lens in case I mess mine up. The best I can come up with is to use dye for clothes. The box (rit) says you can dye plastic so I thought I would give it a go. I think the lens would look better red than white especially on the red. Open to any & all suggestions.
Just get a strip of RED tail lamp repair tape and cut it to fit the lense... OR you can find some red window tint if the RED tape dosent match well. Let me know if this dosent help I will help you figure it out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
or you may want to try red vinyl

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
twirp said:
I was wondering if anybody out here has any experience dyeing plastic? My wife has a red sky & we are wanting to dye the "cyclops" (third brake light) red. I have googled this project with not much luck. I have to take her car in tomorrow for the sill plate coming off & plan to try to order a new lens in case I mess mine up. The best I can come up with is to use dye for clothes. The box (rit) says you can dye plastic so I thought I would give it a go. I think the lens would look better red than white especially on the red. Open to any & all suggestions.
I saw some vinyl on ebay that spelled "Saturn" and one that spelled "SKY". That way when you hit the break light the word is very pronounced.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
twirp said:
go to the pontiac dealer and order one for a Solstice, I think they are the same except for the color lens.....or go the the Solstice forum and see if someone will swap with ya... two winners that way

·
Registered
692 Posts
That looks prtty trick! I wonder if the city and states finest would react poorly if I did mine in Blue (When it finally arrives)? Bet I'd get a nice talking to at the least:lol:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice going....that really look good. I'll be Silver so the white is ok, but this red on red is very very sharp.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks great! I may do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
twirp said:
Here are the before & after photos. It took 1 1/2 hours to do this "simple" conversion. I learned a few thinhgs I thought I would share. #1 The brake light has 2 tension tabs but mostly it is just held on with 3M tape from hell. #2 There are no bulbs to replace, you have to replace the whole fixture when your light does go out ($68) . #3 For your brake lights to work your key must be turned on(unlike older cars). My wife really likes the new look & I admit it would really only be worth swapping out on a red sky IMO. I plan to take our white brake light to the Solstice cruise Sunday & see if a white Solstice would be interested in buying it for 1/2 what I paid for the red one. I would also like to thank SKYMAN07 for the input again as I could never find lens dye anywhere.:thumbs:
When i thought i was going to get the red that is what i was wanting to do, and it does look very good.
I know some of the younger crowd that likes the clear lens in cars would jump on that just advertize it on the solstice forum and on here, someone may want it for a spare...

·
Registered
900 Posts
That looks GREAT.....Im right behind ya on that one. Thanks.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That looks perfect - but with a yellow car -- you barely notice the light. In fact I hav eeven learned to like the orange side lights!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice. 68 Bucks huh? does seem kinda high but.... I just may have too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts