Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for some help / guideance....

Today I had some work done on one of the wheels (replaced one of my rims). Anyways, after it was done, I went to back out of the shop and the brakes were locked up. The brake pedal was all the way to the floor and wont come back up on its own. We jacked the car up and and the wheels wound spin. I was able to pull the brake pedal back up and was able to move the wheels, but it was still applying brakes.

The shop I was at didn't have any mechanics on today so its sitting there till Monday.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or has suggestions on what it could be? (there was brake fluid in the revivor)

THANKS!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And its not the e-brake. (the cable for that is busted on one of the wheels so it doesn't hold the car anywhere near that tigh)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never heard of this before

I had my slave cylinder get stuck after sitting for the winter - never the brakes though - sorry

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Looking for some help / guideance....

Today I had some work done on one of the wheels (replaced one of my rims).
Are you saying that all they did was lift the car, remove a wheel and replace it with another one? Nothing else?

Anyways, after it was done, I went to back out of the shop and the brakes were locked up. The brake pedal was all the way to the floor and wont come back up on its own. We jacked the car up and and the wheels wound spin.
When you lifted the car again, the wheels would spin, or would not spin?

I was able to pull the break pedal back up and was able to move the wheels, but it was still applying brakes.
When you released the brake pedal, what did it do? Stay up or go back down?

[/QUOTE]
The shop I was at didn't have any mechanics on today so its sitting there till Monday.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or has suggestions on what it could be? (there was brake fluid in the revivor)

THANKS!!
[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of this happening. I think you need to find out exactly what work they did to the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes - just changed out the wheel, (I was watching most of the work). They jacked up the rear to remove a rear wheel. They took the tire off and mounted on the new rim (and installed a new tire pressure sensor as the old one couldn't be removed). Then remounted the wheel. I did see them use the scan tool (to reprogram the TPS I'd assume).

Then when I got into the car and tried to back out, the brake pedal was all the way down and all the brakes were locked. They jacked up the front and we tried to spin the tire and it wouldn't. When I manually pulled up on the brake pedal, we were able to rotate the front wheel, but with a good amount of resistance. The pedal would stay up when I manually lifted it, but when I tried to drive like that, it was like the brakes were still being applied. When I pressed down on the brake again, it stayed down. (basically it wouldn't release like it should when you take your foot of the pedal)

Could they have done something with the scan tool that would have caused this? Or just my luck something else went wrong?

I'm sort of a novice, but can not figure out why this would happen just by replacing the wheel.

THANKS

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Replacing a wheel should not cause this. Depending on the scan tool it could be used to activate the ABS system and that could apply the brakes, but they would not stay applied with the car powered off, the brake pedal would not get pulled down, and you would hear the servos operating.

If the brake master cylinder got wedged in the down position it could have some of these effects, but I have never heard of that happening.

The master cylinder seems the least impossible of the options, so that and the brake pedal itself are where i would look first.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
A long time ago my brother added stp to the brake reservoir and that caused the brakes to lock up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like it was just bad luck (or maybe good timing) that it failed while it was parked inside the shop. I guess I'll know my fate a little later today after the mechanic gets in and takes a look at it.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like it was just bad luck (or maybe good timing) that it failed while it was parked inside the shop. I guess I'll know my fate a little later today after the mechanic gets in and takes a look at it.
I am really interested in learning what happened. This is a very unique situation.

Reactions: edh457

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yes, sounds like an independent failure of something - awkward when it coincides with a service on the car. Do let us know when you find out what the heck is going on.

PS - it is 'brakes', not breaks.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't picked it up yet, or looked at it - but the shop just called. According to the shop, somehow the kick panel got lodged is a way that it was not allowing the brake pedal to return. So, simple solution (whish I would have looked at it more when it occurred at the shop, but I was late for another appointment. Good news - simple solution.

I'll have to look around there more tonight after I pick it up. Wondering if somehow it got dislodged when they were plugging in the scan tool to re-program the TPS????

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'll have to look around there more tonight after I pick it up. Wondering if somehow it got dislodged when they were plugging in the scan tool to re-program the TPS????
The obd port is right below the steering wheel, no point in guessing, ask the guy who went into the car what dumb thing he did.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, CAT delete & ECM Tune. diy tunnel brace. ProBeam.
75 Posts
PS - it is 'brakes', not breaks....
In just about every other case, it is indeed “brakes.” But seeing as his brakes were broken… 🤔.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
In just about every other case, it is indeed “brakes.” But seeing as his brakes were broken… 🤔.
That's good. To break my brakes or not to break my brakes- they were never broken to begin with
but- big work boots kick out the panel above the brake pedal and they no longer work as intended.

That is my next project of $$$. April 2022- all four corners, pretty much everything.
Shocks & the Top are holding up ok but I will feel better when new stopping power is off
my to do list. That way I can use them to brake- so I don't break something else.
New tires I think in June too. 7 years old now- time to get fresh compound on the corners.
Expensive but off the big ticket items on my list- it is getting smaller.
Fresh stopping power, fresh rubber- then you can cook some more into the left/right switch
backs, the long left hand sweeper apex and.. should you need to halt your progress, the confidence
of smooth stops or panic driven with grip power or traction action to get out of trouble.

I try not to break my Kappa. I hope that someone else does not fail to not brake for my Kappa and
leave me- broken beyond my self and I then go out and break something big time afterwards pretty much.

LAC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts