Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,259 Posts
Add a few dollars and get a better aftermarket radio with Nav, CarPlay, reverse cam and phone connectivity.
But without the stock look. There are many who do not want a non-OEM radio, so "better" is subjective.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Super Moderator
6,259 Posts
The question is whether you have Monsoon. This appears to be non-Monsoon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don’t have monsoon.... but I do have Onstar and a subscription to Satellite Radio. My radio has a scratch on the piano black... no other problems... just an expensive price to correct it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don’t have monsoon.... but I do have Onstar and a subscription to Satellite Radio. My radio has a scratch on the piano black... no other problems... just an expensive price to correct it.
What makes this radio valuable is that it is the USB model for 2009+. There is a USB port in the lower RH corner to connect your iPod or other music source that was not an option until the mid 2009 production run. You can sometimes find these NOS in the matte black face plate with the different color display for less, but this being the piano black for the Sky is really quite rare. If you just want a replacement sky radio you can pick them up pretty cheap in good condition, but will most likely require a trip to the dealer to get it flashed to you VIN unless it's a NOS model.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it is brand new....it is PLUG & PLAY....and it certainly works on an NA. I have an NA and it works PERFECTLY. And my car is a 2006 build. This a Saturn specific build with no AMP build in like the Cobalt....it will not affect other areas.

·
Super Moderator
6,259 Posts
Since it is brand new....it is PLUG & PLAY....and it certainly works on an NA. I have an NA and it works PERFECTLY. And my car is a 2006 build. This a Saturn specific build with no AMP build in like the Cobalt....it will not affect other areas.
I agree that RL vs NA will have no effect, and neither will the year of production. But what do you mean by "with no amp build in" ? The car or the head unit?
I believe that this does have an amplifier because it is non-Monsoon, meaning that there is no external amplifier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree that RL vs NA will have no effect, and neither will the year of production. But what do you mean by "with no amp build in" ? The car or the head unit?
I believe that this does have an amplifier because it is non-Monsoon, meaning that there is no external amplifier.
What makes this stereo Monsoon vs Non-Monsoon? I thought the Monsoon was a standalone upgrade (UQ3) and the 6 disc (US9) vs single disc (US8) stereo was it's own and interchangeable. Could you not get a Monsoon system with the single disc stereo?

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a monsoon...the amp is external...the cobalt usb had an amp built into their radio...therefore the sound of your directional, the sound of your speakers and the sound of your chimes were amplified also...you could not use the volume control on your radio at full....u would blow the speakers. The Cobalt radio gave a total of 2 amps...too much for the Saturn.

·
Super Moderator
6,259 Posts
What makes this stereo Monsoon vs Non-Monsoon? I thought the Monsoon was a standalone upgrade (UQ3) and the 6 disc (US9) vs single disc (US8) stereo was it's own and interchangeable. Could you not get a Monsoon system with the single disc stereo?
The part number determines how the radio is configured. I do not have a comprehensive list of part numbers, but what I have says that it is non-Monsoon.
Using this with a Monsoon system will overdrive the speakers, and result in extremely loud warning chimes and turn signal tick-tocks.

This is my understanding, it is from the 2007 order book, and may be slightly different for other years:
  • UQ3 is Monsoon, and was only available with US8 or US9
  • US8 is the single CD player and included UQ3, Monsoon
  • US9 is the 6-Disc CD player and included UQ3, Monsoon
  • U1C is the single CD player without Monsoon, and included UW5, six speakers (not externally amplified)

• U2K is XM, and was only available with US8 or US9

·
Super Moderator
6,259 Posts
There was a change in 2008:
  • U1C was eliminated

• UQ3 is Monsoon
  • US8 is the single CD player and did not include Monsoon
  • US9 is the 6-disc CD player and included UQ3, Monsoon

• U2K is XM
In 2009:
  • UUI is the single CD player with USB, and required UQ3 Monsoon
  • UPF is Bluetooth, included with PCQ Premium Package
So it appears i was incorrect earlier, and this radio is for a Monsoon system.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was all so simple back in time....even I am CONFUSED....but that is not saying much :unsure:🤔:giggle:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have an extra radio (stock) from a 2007 Redline for sale. NOT $399 - will take $150 OBO
if anyone is interested

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have an extra radio (stock) from a 2007 Redline for sale. NOT $399 - will take $150 OBO
if anyone is interested

View attachment 114102 View attachment 114101 View attachment 114100 View attachment 114099
It's not the 6 disc changer, but you can buy a brand new one for less on eBay, I'm just saying.:whistle: Plus any used one will require a trip to a dealer or the use of a Tech 2 to flash the VIN. @Wnolte1122 if you're just looking for a replacement this one should do the job for you. Note: I'm not sure why they listed this one as the USB model though, as it clearly isn't. I got really excited at first, otherwise that would be a steal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts