Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Sky 3rd owner, saw a stubby antenna in the trunk, thought SCORE!

Went to put the darned thing on, and short story shorter, sheared the existing one off. *BOLT IS SNAPPED OFF*

So, although I can totally live without radio, I want to fix it but don't know how to remove the base to replace it.

Anyone got a diagram and possibly a part number? Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No pics, but this seems to be a pretty straightforward to-do list from the Solstice forum:
Antenna Delete?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Been awhile since I posted on here, but when I saw this thread it brought back a few memories of my first days with my SKY and this same problem. I brought mine with a broken off bolt to antenna mast from the dealer. Went to local GM dealer, bought the antenna, bracket base assm. and housing. $ 60.00 or so. Took about an hour to remove rear inner fender liner, remove old bracket and replace, and a few cold ones later the radio was up and running. The shorty look antenna got pretty good reception, and the dealer that sold me the car knew I had to fix this problem and cut me a deal with $ 100 off just for this problem alone. I figure I came out $40. bucks ahead, a few scrapped knuckles, and it's back to stock look without the taller original antenna. Works for me, and I listen to less radio these days. You could try to repair what you have, some sort of gypsy fix or replace everything, it is just a lot of screws, bolts for the inner fender and two for the bracket base. I had the guy at the local dealer bring up drawing and part numbers, had parts in about 3 days, and two days later the one bad thing that stood out when I bought my SKY was that broken off antenna was fixed, the jams were cranking out the Monsoon,and our cars look better with the short antenna. Why GM put those long antenna mast on in the first place is beyond me. Reception is better I guess with them but the " look" is IMO not in line with the body style. My current antenna sits below the roof line of the car, gets good to decent reception, when I do use it, and looks way better than the original OEM. Good luck on your replacement.

LAC

Added; Found these while I typed this up: antenna # 25805645 gm $ 21.42 housing # 25981952 gm $ 8.93 and bracket assm. # 25956527 gm $ 20.86 I am sure you could get replacement parts from anyone of the auto shops for these at aftermarket pricing and not the gm $$$ I paid.

LAC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine sheared off also while attempting to remove the antenna. Local GM dealer searched and said the part was discontinued and they could not find one anwhere. Any idea where i can still source one? Part# 5 in the attached pic. GM part# 25956527 (2008 SKY Redline). The Solstice part# is 25956526 which might be the same.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sahein... i tried that site. Here's what shows up when i try to order and have shipped across the border into Ontario, Canada;

"
Because of increased costs to process and ship International orders, we have a $999999.99 minimum on all International orders.

Please add $999986.08 to your order before proceeding.
"

Yeah, right. :oops:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for your help/
Mikey, these guys don't know that moose milk isn't consumed at New Years by Canadians but traditionally for thanksgiving as we huddle around the fires in our igloos. These guys have no idea so don't be so hard on them.

That said, although I have found both of those part numbers on Canadian sites they both appear to be discontinued. You could call your local dealer to see what they can find, call a US dealer and see if they ARE in fact available or check some wrecking yards that have cars on the lot. If you can find one in the US perhaps if you talk nice to these guys, MAYBE you can ship to someone here and have them forward it to you.

Alternately HoosierGXP might have one on a parts car he can part with for you.

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
24 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me and ended up finding an aftermarket solution. Here's the link.

It's a universal type mount. But if worked for me. I'll send pics when I'm able to. Only problem is it requires running the entire cable to the factory head unit. It's a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mikey, these guys don't know that moose milk isn't consumed at New Years by Canadians but traditionally for thanksgiving as we huddle around the fires in our igloos. These guys have no idea so don't be so hard on them.

That said, although I have found both of those part numbers on Canadian sites they both appear to be discontinued. You could call your local dealer to see what they can find, call a US dealer and see if they ARE in fact available or check some wrecking yards that have cars on the lot. If you can find one in the US perhaps if you talk nice to these guys, MAYBE you can ship to someone here and have them forward it to you.

I hear you. Maybe its the current silliness happening in the US that plays a role in some of their comments. In any event, i've gone thru my GM dealer, searched the wrecking yards, tried most of the internet sites etc without any success.... but it does appear that the Pontiac G5 uses the same bracket and I've found a couple of them so I'll give one of those a try.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
spydee99 .... thanks for the link but i want to keep the car as original as possible so I'll try the similar G5 bracket. My intent was to pick up & install an Opel GT antenna which is a bit shorter than the stock Sky antenna so I'm still looking for one of those items. I have some time though because the car wont go back on the road until the ice / snow goes away and the polar bears head further north some time in June. ;);)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I replaced a broken antenna base of a Solstice some years ago. I don't recall the cable going all the way to the radio. I think there is a connector along the way. You will know what you are in for when you receive the new or second hand OEM Sky antenna base.

People here are stating the part is the same on other vehicles which might be true. As I recall, there is also a mounting bracket that "MIGHT" be specific for the Sky and Solstice that screws to a hidden body area to support the base much better. Without it, the tall standard antenna would bend the fender badly. I wonder if that bracket can be reused on an antenna base meant for another vehicle.

I "second" the idea of getting a second-hand antenna base from Hoosier_GXP. I bought lots from him. He sells good second-hand parts.

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
24 Posts
You are correct with there being a connecter jest before or after entering the trunk. The aftermarket universal type I replaced it with had to have a run that went all the way to the head unit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Damn. I thought i had finally found an Opel GT antenna (25805645) to replace my damaged (& lengthy) Sky antenna but after waiting 23 days for GMPartsGiant.com to ship, i recvd an email from them cancelling the order now claiming they have 'no stock'. 😠

And before someone suggests it, no i do not want a 'stubby' antenna. I want something that gets decent reception.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts