Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I wonder if anyone has had any luck just getting a replacement handle for the dash or if you can only
get the full cable with the handles...? Best source...Best Price ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
This is the first I've heard of one breaking. You might be the pioneer on this one. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found it - Broken Hood Release Handle

www.tascaparts.com - Release Cable GM Part #15773638 ---pix showed handle with cables

about $34 and about $10 bucks to ship to Ohio

several of the GM Part sites said it was discontinued

Release Cable - GM (15773638) | TascaParts.com
Hi,
Can you please tell me if you were able to replace only the handle or if you needed to run the entire assembly again? I have a 2007 Solstice with the same problem but I was hoping to only replace the handle.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
954 Posts
Others have had this issue with a broken handle but it looks like you have to buy the handle with the cable. Not a bad idea to replace the cable as well anyway because that's broken before on a few cars and if THAT breaks, you have real problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Bob. I don't have a problem with buying the whole assembly, it just seems so much simpler just to replace the handle! lol I assume you replaced the whole thing?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I haven't had an issue with mine at all but I know others have had the cable break. Yeah, I'd just replace everything while you're down there twisted into a pretzel. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Can you please tell me if you were able to replace only the handle or if you needed to run the entire assembly again? I have a 2007 Solstice with the same problem but I was hoping to only replace the handle.
Thanks,
Ed
My son in-law is finally supposed to get to it in
Hi,
Thanks,
Ed
Sorry for the delay...I have been on in a while....my son in law is supposed to put it on in two weeks...probably the whole cable though
Dennis..

·
Registered
3 Posts
My son in-law is finally supposed to get to it in

Sorry for the delay...I have been on in a while....my son in law is supposed to put it on in two weeks...probably the whole cable though
Dennis..
A few years ago, I was at work and my battery died... it took forever to get someone willing to help me get a jumpstart... then I pulled the lever for the hood and SNAP. Now these long wires were hanging out... I had some pliers and pulled the two wires and my hood opened. Now I just want someone to fix this for me... again, been several years and my car has sat. not sure where to start :/ I’m that respect. I dropped it off to get a new paint job today. Not sure where to take it to get that kinda thing fixed once it’s returned to me. Suggestions appreciated.

-JPeoples

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
The handle on mine broke (shattered into many pieces, if you were curious. I was amazed.) when I went to go jump it, and while using pliers to open the hood the wires broke. Luckily it was AFTER the hood released because after looking up how to open it if I closed the hood with no wires... Lets just say it's not fun. This was about a year ago and at the time my mechanic (no I don't DIY) had no issues finding the part, and it wasn't really that expensive to replace considering the fun it apparently was to do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The handle on mine broke (shattered into many pieces, if you were curious. I was amazed.) when I went to go jump it, and while using pliers to open the hood the wires broke. Luckily it was AFTER the hood released because after looking up how to open it if I closed the hood with no wires... Lets just say it's not fun. This was about a year ago and at the time my mechanic (no I don't DIY) had no issues finding the part, and it wasn't really that expensive to replace considering the fun it apparently was to do the job.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve checked out a few places and they’re saying $90 for replacement at one place, plus parts... another location $150 for labor plus part. I may get one more quote and go for the middle charge. San Antonio, not sure what other mechanics would do this work. I don’t have a lift which I think I’d need. Funny the first question they asked... is the hood open? Lol I said yes, but I still have to pull with pliers. We shall see. The part seems (like others have stated) that it MUST have the wires and latch attached. I’ll go with the link someone provided above. Seems like a decent rate. Looking forward to driving around once this covid situation is done with, so doing work on it now that I have the time. Poor thing has been sitting there for a while... people randomly stop by and ask if I’m selling it and I haven’t been able to part with it lol They get a quick “Nope” from me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts