Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back-Up Light

I took my 2008 Sky in for inspection, went to a Chevrolet Dealer since I was worried about just any mechanic lifting the car up. (I Hate Dealerships)

Anyway I was told it failed for no Back-up light, I asked the Service tech if they replaced the Bulb, He proceeds to tell me I need the Whole NEW Assembly since it is a Sealed LED

Does this sound right? I just checked RockAuto and they say it takes a 3157 Bulb

Unfortunately it's raining here for me to crawl under and check it out now. I'm curious if any one here has had a Back-Up light issue? and if so, Is it a sealed LED? For now, I told them to order the part, But if it's a Bulb, I'll cancel it.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My spare has a bulb. It is also pretty dirty.

The CHMSL is a sealed LED. Maybe someone was confused.
Thanks Sir, Excuse my Ignorance though, What is the CHMSL? I've only had this car less than a year, So I'm still learning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here I thought this was going to be a post about a light that cheers you up or the story about a sad, depressed light...damn...LOL

(If that makes no sense, look at the thread title...)
LOL --- My Bad, It's been a long day. But hey, Glad I made you chuckle.

·
Super Moderator
5,533 Posts
And here I thought this was going to be a post about a light that cheers you up or the story about a sad, depressed light...damn...LOL....
I had the same thought. Should I be worried?
Thanks Sir, Excuse my Ignorance though, What is the CHMSL? I've only had this car less than a year, So I'm still learning.
You're welcome.

Center High Mounted Stop Lamp. Pronounced "chimsul".

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yeah - we've seen quite a few cars damaged by the dealer by incompetent jacking, for instance.

To be fair, I don't expect a dealership mechanic to know everything about a car they rarely see and may never have had to diagnose before, but I do expect that they will be able to look up the problem and come up with whatever information GM has on an issue. I have had to find a tech bulletin a couple of times, print it out and take it in with the car to tell them that they had a known issue and a prescribed fix (example = the overheating problem).

The damaged sills are no doubt caused by the mechanics sending the ill informed lot boy or apprentice to set the car up on a lift so the mechanic can work on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,

Thank You all for the Quick responses.

Today, I had time to look at it, Had a Buddy assist (The CHMSL works just fine. Thanks JohnWR, I've always heard them called the Third Brake-light) anyway it's definitely the Back-Up Bulb, I twisted the Bulb out, the old one had rusted contacts and was blown, Replaced it, But no luck, I checked the Fuse, it's fine. So I'm thinking a New pigtail, either way I'll get it working and save $345.00

The Good thing is my experience has reminded just how much I distrust Dealerships and that I'm not just being paranoid.

wsophn, You're scaring me, I purposely took it to the Dealer figuring they at least seem them from time to time and would be aware of the Lift points, My regular inspection Garage has probably never heard of one, let alone seen one. But maybe next time I'll try them.

Sad News is, Once I get it working, It has to go back to the Dealer for re-inspection so I can get a passing sticker. Not Happy about that, But I will be talking to the Service Manager about the BS stunt they pulled.

TJB

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Well,

wsophn, You're scaring me, I purposely took it to the Dealer figuring they at least seem them from time to time and would be aware of the Lift points, My regular inspection Garage has probably never heard of one, let alone seen one. But maybe next time I'll try them.
Suggest that you install the BMW lift pucks that snap into the sockets - mine have been in there since 2009 and haven't fallen out. You still have to tell them about lifting the car. The best thing to do is drive up, get out of your car, walk around it taking pictures on your cell phone. and tell the check in guy that they are free to inspect the car and that you have documented condition. That prevents the stories we've heard of getting cars that went in in perfect condition back with cracked rocker panels and the mechanic swearing they were like that when you brought it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts