Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nope. The current market for a 2 seat roadster at a reasonable price is extremely small and not profitable. Mazda and to some extent Fiat are really the only players left standing. I would like to think my opinion is wrong but I doubt it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's ( way ) too late now, but that was actually one of my ideas for saving it back in the day.

A chrome waterfall grill would have quickly and easily turned the Solstice into a Buick.

They could have even named it "Skylark"

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Nope. The current market for a 2 seat roadster at a reasonable price is extremely small and not profitable. Mazda and to some extent Fiat are really the only players left standing. I would like to think my opinion is wrong but I doubt it.
Honda is bringing back the S2000...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Honda is bringing back the S2000...
Honda has a much larger worldwide market to sell to. Not so with Buick. China is a large market for them and they are consistently loosing market share year over year.
I don't see a small volume car helping that.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Honda has a much larger worldwide market to sell to. Not so with Buick. China is a large market for them and they are consistently loosing market share year over year.
I don't see a small volume car helping that.
Actually GM is very large in China and while they are seeing more domestic competition there, it's still very strong. The overall automotive market in the US and China seem to be waning but that's overall, not just GM. Interesting article I found yesterday talking about GM in China (and why a merger with Ford might be possible and smart...)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/gm-merger-with-ford-looks-more-likely/ar-AAC1TSR?ocid=sf

I said from early on that the Kappa platform would have been great to continue under Buick and the Sky model would have fit into Buick's lineup wonderfully as the other Opel rebadges. With sales tanking in 2009 thanks to the limited practicality of the model and 2 seat roadsters in general, once the platform was discontinued and the tooling sold, it was dead. Such a shame for a great platform.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
The Sol and Sky are halo cars to help sell other cars. GM is getting out of the car business to a large extent so having a halo for cars makes little sense. Maybe if it were an SUV LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
The Sol and Sky are halo cars to help sell other cars. GM is getting out of the car business to a large extent so having a halo for cars makes little sense. Maybe if it were an SUV LOL.
You mean like the new Mitsubishi Eclipse and concept Evolution...

...so wrong...

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
GM is getting out of the car business because the buying public is getting out of the car business. CUVs, SUVs, and pickup trucks are the direction the market is moving right now. Why would anyone build something if they can build something different that is more popular and earns more profit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts