Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a deposit on a white/tan top and interior 5 speed manual Sky with every available option at Space Coast Saturn in Melbourne, FL. The car supposedly went to the shipper on April 4th. It only arrived at the dealers about a week ago. The dealer didn't call me when it first arrived because they said it had a big scratch in the silver part of the consel and they wanted to replace it so the car would be perfect on delivery. I heard a rumor that my car was on display in the showroom for the past week...which was strongly denied by the salesman. I noticed that the fender well/ tire rub problem had not been corrected by the factory (as most of the cars arriving now are) or by the dealer. The VIN was in the 1200's. If they wanted the car to be "perfect" before delivery, you would think that they would have addressed this problem and installed the fastener to hold the fender well plastic away from the reat tire.

I already own a Sky...silver pearl with black interior. VIN 529. This would have been my second one. After carefully examining this car, I found that it didn't fit together as perfectly as my first Sky. The chrome part on the front grill was not level..actually was noticeably higher on one side than the other. The seam at the front of the rocker panels was not level and the front rocker stuck out more than the rear. The tan top had deep baggy wrinkles in it and did not match the tan interior at all. The interior being a lot lighter in color and a totally different shade of tan.. Do to the descripencies, I declined to purchase the car. The dealer also had a mandatory $400 dealer fee attached to it plus you had no choice but to accept the $600 "wax job"

It's amazing how some cars fit together perfectly while others are just so-so. I looked at an available black Sky last Friday that litterly had more "orange peel" in the paint than a real orange has on it's skin!! Completely unacceptable !

I switched my order to a Red Line. I have RL's ordered at 3 different dealers, anxious to see who will deliver first. Until they make the windshield and trunk trim match the car color, I think the only color that matches uniformly is the silver pearl. It is a shame because so many of the other colors look so good..if only they didn't have the silver trim. IMO the white looked terrible with silver accents. The tan top didn't add to it's appearance either. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that :( That is outrageous about the "wax job." Good luck with your RedLine, though. I don't blame you for not accepting that car, good job on walking away -- it is hard to do!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'll give them a better deal on the wax job. I'll wash and wax for only $500:) That way I can give up my day job...:jester:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Way2Fast - I think you know I have my Sky ordered from the same dealer. Did you question them at all about the $600.00 wax job? Would they have droped or reduced the charge if you had wanted the car? Just curious, but what kind of wax job would you get for $600.00? I'm thinking about going to the dealer and having a talk about the add on expenses they are charging. Do you know if they are doing the same thing to all buyers of the Sky?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sparkle4596 said:
I'm sorry to hear that :( That is outrageous about the "wax job." Good luck with your RedLine, though. I don't blame you for not accepting that car, good job on walking away -- it is hard to do!
it isn't too hard being he already has one Sky.... and is now getting a redline...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
it isn't too hard being he already has one Sky.... and is now getting a redline...
EXACTLY! :banghead:

·
Registered
453 Posts
sparkle4596 said:
I agree :cheers: I thought about it, but my fiance said just let it go he was willing to pay the extra 3000.00 so how could I refuse that? :D T.

·
Registered
255 Posts
SKYtime said:
EXACTLY! :banghead:
After reading all the horror stories on this forum about what different dealers are adding to MSRP I was really interested in the additional $1,000.00 he was being charged. I guess when my Sky arrives (whenever) that I simply have two choices, pay it and get the car I ordered, or say "I don't need a $600.00 wax job" and walk away from it. Knowing the long wait everybody goes through I will probably take the charge. But I know that when I have the key's in my hands and all the paperwork is finished, I will have many words to say to the GM, including a nasty note to Saturn.com or anyone that will listen to me.:banghead:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ha, ha, ha, Nitesky that was hysterical!! No offense taken, we ALL need a good laugh in between anger over dealer gouging. Thanks for the laugh. T.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
tolaiz said:
Ha, ha, ha, Nitesky that was hysterical!! No offense taken, we ALL need a good laugh in between anger over dealer gouging. Thanks for the laugh. T.
I went ahead and took the joke off... I was afraid it may offend someone...

·
Registered
453 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
After reading all the horror stories on this forum about what different dealers are adding to MSRP I was really interested in the additional $1,000.00 he was being charged. I guess when my Sky arrives (whenever) that I simply have two choices, pay it and get the car I ordered, or say "I don't need a $600.00 wax job" and walk away from it. Knowing the long wait everybody goes through I will probably take the charge. But I know that when I have the key's in my hands and all the paperwork is finished, I will have many words to say to the GM, including a nasty note to Saturn.com or anyone that will listen to me.:banghead:
:thumbs: Touche, my feelings exactly. I plan to let him know how I feel too, and to contact as many interested parties as possible. But, the saddest feeling of all for me, is that they are doing it AND getting away with it, becaues so many like US are allowing it because we Love the car. sigh.. we can walk away without the dealer batting an eye cause there will be someone else lurking behind ready to grab the car. Sad, but true. Oh Well, good luck and hope for our sake it was worth the added expense and humiliation of being used and abused!! :confused:
T.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
longwaitlarry said:
Way2Fast - I think you know I have my Sky ordered from the same dealer. Did you question them at all about the $600.00 wax job? Would they have droped or reduced the charge if you had wanted the car? Just curious, but what kind of wax job would you get for $600.00? I'm thinking about going to the dealer and having a talk about the add on expenses they are charging. Do you know if they are doing the same thing to all buyers of the Sky?
They have the added charge for the "wax' job already added on and posted on the window. No getting out of it. If you don't want to take it there will be others on their "waiting" list that will. The dealer fee of $399 also gets my goat. They didn't tel you about that sneaky add on until you sit down to do the purchase. Even then it isn't mentioned and is left for you to "notice" on the sales contract. I purchased my silver pearl Sky from their sister dealership in Vero Beach. Their dealer fee is $100 less for some unknown reason. But then they more than make up for it by charging $899 for the wax job with added mud flaps and window tinting. (the tinting I would not have done if they paid ME to do it)

At least Vero Beach notifies me as soon as the truck pulls up with an available Sky, so I get first shot at it and doesn't keep it at their dealership for a week, not even telling me that it had been delivered like Space Coast did.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other thing...the wax job they charge so much for is by Simonize and includes a next to worthless 5 year warranty. They don't even wax any part of the car where they would have to bend over to reach...you can tell this by feeling how "slippery" the paint feels to the touch. The rockers, lower bumper, and grill have no wax at all !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Way2Fast said:
One other thing...the wax job they charge so much for is by Simonize and includes a next to worthless 5 year warranty. They don't even wax any part of the car where they would have to bend over to reach...you can tell this by feeling how "slippery" the paint feels to the touch. The rockers, lower bumper, and grill have no wax at all !!
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried my best not to bug them, but I need to find out what my order number is and then I'll ask about the total price and see if they will admit to any of this. Any way it goes, I guess I'll end up paying the additional thousand to get my car.

Are you on their list for the RL? If so, what number are you?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried my best not to bug them, but I need to find out what my order number is and then I'll ask about the total price and see if they will admit to any of this. Any way it goes, I guess I'll end up paying the additional thousand to get my car.

Are you on their list for the RL? If so, what number are you?
I'm number 1 in Vero Beach and the Melbourne salesman thought I was #1 there too, but I really doubt it because I just put my name and order info down when I backed out of the white Sky with the shitty fitting panels on Tuesday. I'm supposed to be number 1 at Saturn of Pembroke Pines too, but didn't like when I heard they use your car for demos and showroom display until the next one comes in. If this is true, they can keep it. I want my car fresh off the truck, not a used and abused demo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a deposit on the first 2007 Z06 Corvette to arrive too, but after getting my silver Sky, and seeing how much better it looks than the 'Vette, I may cancel it. For the price of a Z06 I could get 2 Skys and a Kawi ZX14 or Haybusa 1300R Limited motorcycle and still have a few thousand left over !

·
Registered
255 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I have a deposit on the first 2007 Z06 Corvette to arrive too, but after getting my silver Sky, and seeing how much better it looks than the 'Vette, I may cancel it. For the price of a Z06 I could get 2 Skys and a Kawi ZX14 or Haybusa 1300R Limited motorcycle and still have a few thousand left over !
I will be happy with my Sky if it ever arrives.

Thanks again for the feedback:cheers:

·
Registered
18,465 Posts
Alot of the Sky owners like the silver around the windshield and fairings..I have a silver pearl and agree with you that is the only color to go with, although the silver graphite is a go with the silver pearl around the windshield. I do not no why they did not match the paint with the rest of the car. I am sure it had nothing to do with cost cutting.

You will not regret the silver pearl....as u notice, that is the most popular color. Good luck with the RL. I myself am waiting for the dual exhausts to have them installed on my roadster...it does at symmetry.

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
marlboromike said:
Alot of the Sky owners like the silver around the windshield and fairings..I have a silver pearl and agree with you that is the only color to go with, although the silver graphite is a go with the silver pearl around the windshield. I do not no why they did not match the paint with the rest of the car. I am sure it had nothing to do with cost cutting.

You will not regret the silver pearl....as u notice, that is the most popular color. Good luck with the RL. I myself am waiting for the dual exhausts to have them installed on my roadster...it does at symmetry.

MarlboroMike
I agree..the silver graphite is in the same color "family" as the silver pearl trim, so they sort of go together.....but take a yellow or green Sky, especially, and the silver has no place being on it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I agree..the silver graphite is in the same color "family" as the silver pearl trim, so they sort of go together.....but take a yellow or green Sky, especially, and the silver has no place being on it.
With the Yellow SKY the window and behind the seat color matches both the painted wheels and the shifter cover in the interior. The colors are drawn together and highlighted by the silver. It makes great accent.
While the silver matches the Silver Pearl color car -- the car disappears in a sea of silver cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts