Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do they build cars for specific orders? We have our image. And are on hold because of our chrome wheels. Does that mean our car could be built and sitting waiting for the wheels? Or does that mean it is still only on paper and will only begin to be put together when the chrome arrives? We also have red leather so I am concerned that once the wheels arrive the leather issue might face a shortage.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
SkyHope said:
How the heck do they build cars for specific orders? We have our image. And are on hold because of our chrome wheels. Does that mean our car could be built and sitting waiting for the wheels? Or does that mean it is still only on paper and will only begin to be put together when the chrome arrives? We also have red leather so I am concerned that once the wheels arrive the leather issue might face a shortage.
Red leather was already an issue. Hopefully it has been resolved. I haven't even been preferenced yet.:willy: I would imagine I'm held up partly by the chrome wheels as well. That and the fact that mine is a Canadian order.:banghead:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, like I said before in another thread..I was the first image at are Dealership, I ordered 01/09...Black/Red leather, chrome wheels. I got the call last week that the car had been built and is on its way. Also got my Vin# 1202 so for being one of the First, I got a later vin, so I think that answers some of your questions. But with some of the restrictions cars are starting to be moved down the line.........PPHJJ5

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
If it were me making the cars, and I knew the parts were not available I would make the cars I did have parts for, and build the others as the parts come in. In a modern just in time lean production line you can't have cars waiting for part on the floor. For one thing, there is no room, and if you did, a car sitting is not sold and as long as you can make one to sell, you get it out the door. So, no the car is not sitting waiting for the part, it is not built.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Still on paper

You dealer gets an assigned a certain number of cars for production based on demographic sales info in your market. Those cars a created as "images" to be built. Usually the images are created based on available inventory. If you and your dealer want't to *change* that imaged then, your car cannot be built until the inventory for the parts you ordered become available. So, for example, if your image requires Chrome Wheels and none are available, then the production line spot that was reserved for your car is given up for an image that can be filled. Your car image will sit in a non-production status until the inventory to fill the order becomes available. What is supposed to happen is that you should not even be able to change an image to include part numbers that are out of stock, but I am sure there is some lag between the part inventory availablility info and the order system. Not surprising being that the production line is in first run and they had no way to stock parts for all possible combinations of orders.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Thats right, when the parts arrive we will get a TPW and the ball will start rolling for us again....just save up more money for extras when it arrives..:lol: :lol: Seal9

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
seal9 said:
Thats right, when the parts arrive we will get a TPW and the ball will start rolling for us again....just save up more money for extras when it arrives..:lol: :lol: Seal9
You most likely will not get a TPW -- they are not being used too much because of the "fluidity" of teh parts situation. If you see one - ignore it...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I live in Spartanburg SC and have worked at the local BMW plant in Greer, SC. They use a "no stock" manufacturing process, where all the parts they need to build Z4s and X5s arrive by 18 wheeler within minutes of them actually needing the parts. This requires no warehousing and the cost of ordering parts is minimized since there is never a time where the parts sit and are not being used (but have been paid for). However, they have had that backfire. At one time, they ran out of some type of clamping ring that holds the steering wheel on, and the entire assembly line started to back up from that point. Talk about money going down the tube when that happens.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
seal9 said:
I am just saving money for a bigger down payment and you got it, more stuff. I think my dealer got 15 images to start with, and just got more so there is some indication they will produce more than the 10,000 planned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ku4zs said:
I live in Spartanburg SC and have worked at the local BMW plant in Greer, SC. They use a "no stock" manufacturing process, where all the parts they need to build Z4s and X5s arrive by 18 wheeler within minutes of them actually needing the parts. This requires no warehousing and the cost of ordering parts is minimized since there is never a time where the parts sit and are not being used (but have been paid for). However, they have had that backfire. At one time, they ran out of some type of clamping ring that holds the steering wheel on, and the entire assembly line started to back up from that point. Talk about money going down the tube when that happens.
Interesting...Thanks...:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CyaL8r said:
You dealer gets an assigned a certain number of cars for production based on demographic sales info in your market. Those cars a created as "images" to be built. Usually the images are created based on available inventory. If you and your dealer want't to *change* that imaged then, your car cannot be built until the inventory for the parts you ordered become available. So, for example, if your image requires Chrome Wheels and none are available, then the production line spot that was reserved for your car is given up for an image that can be filled. Your car image will sit in a non-production status until the inventory to fill the order becomes available. What is supposed to happen is that you should not even be able to change an image to include part numbers that are out of stock, but I am sure there is some lag between the part inventory availablility info and the order system. Not surprising being that the production line is in first run and they had no way to stock parts for all possible combinations of orders.
OK. Wonder why so many of us ordered mid March with absolutely no hint of constraints on Chrome wheels. Now we sit and wait. :nopity: I would have understood if the wheels were tricky to order (my dealer was great and worked to get the order to take RED leather).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our dealer called Thursday to say our car was being built. Does anyone know how long start to finish it takes to build one of these babies? We ordered chrome wheels and apparently we are getting them. Imaged mid march.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was imaged on February 27th (imaged changed and accepted on the 28th) and I still haven't moved from 030! No 033 with a TPW yet... what's going on? (see my sig for teh options I ordered)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GMguy74 said:
I was imaged on February 27th (imaged changed and accepted on the 28th) and I still haven't moved from 030! No 033 with a TPW yet... what's going on? (see my sig for teh options I ordered)
Most likely The rims..
Don't count on TPW's I was told to ignore them as the assembly timing is SO fluid...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts