Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

So, wife and I are driving on the e-way 75mph, 90 degrees out with the top down and a/c on with the blower on 3. We both could smell plastic burning. I fear the Blower resistor need attention, so "Where is it"?

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
The question is not what to check, but Where is the blower motor resistor.
The search function is useful.

This thread has some good information, but details on the dashboard disassembly procedure are missing.

I have seen that information elsewhare, most often in threads about radio head unit replacement.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If your hvac calibration didn't work properly and the heat is not regulated it can get very hot and smell like burning plastic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE - I removed the hush panel under the dash, then swung the glovebox door opener past the stops, and there it is, in the bottom of the hvac. I removed the resistor, and it is fine. So I tightened up the individual female terminals, put it all back together, and it is fine. There was no sign of anything being burnt or overheated, so will have to keep an eye out for similar events.

thanks to everyone who helped.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I had a similar 'burning plastic' smell issue a couple of years ago... Cutting a long story short (too late!) it turned out to be that I'd driven over a plastic bag which got caught and melted on to my exhaust pipe. Every time I drove, once the exhaust heated up, I'd get the burning plastic smell. I thought it would burn off, but it stayed there for weeks, so in the end I had to jack the car up and scrape the melted plastic off the pipe. It was fine after that. Sigh. Obviously this is only a possibility in your case, but maybe worth taking a look underneath your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts