Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really didn't want one right now. I wanted a few months and more cash saved up. But there are only 37 Hydro Automatic Redlines. Of that, plenty are Tan, and I want Black top, Black interior.

Well, one landed near me in of all places, CarMax. Monsoon audio, too.

By my guess, there are only 9-10 spec'ed this way - and this is the way I wanted it.

It does have 75,000 miles. And it cost me $16,599. I have five days to return it if that's a bad price, but considering it's Hydro Blue, I'm not complaining even with the miles.

Only bad spot I've found is the seat noise on the driver's side, some squeaking while moving like a plastic retainer clip is loose.

Going to the dealer on Monday. Going go try to get my local Pontiac dealer to take it because they see lots of Solstices, though they aren't "Saturn authorized".

Thoughts? Good deal? Bad deal? Tips for a Kappa admirer, but first time owner?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Carmax prices seem to be fixed, and not the best but not to bad. Being a HydroBlue some owners think rarity means huge $$$ so the dealer route might not be to bad.

I did not see this one on Carmax, (its not there now) but there has been one in California that seems to come and go from Carmax, makes me wonder if there is not something wrong. Been a few months since I saw it listed but i know it higher millage, so might be the same one. Found an old email it had just over 71K miles. Was for sale end of Oct. in Ontario CA

·
Registered
747 Posts
I believe all hydro's had the monsoon, I have a Hydro as well Mines a Stick and I love it. I paid more than you did (by a bunch) about 8 months ago but mine only had 9K on it when I got it. I'd say its worth the almost 17K you spent but most may not agree. I've actually noticed a squeak myself in mine recently when I'm driving. not sure what it is unfortunately. There has been some discrepancy on how many auto vs stick's of the redlines that there were. one site I saw said 20 of the 49 hydro redlines were stick so that would leave 29 autos and I've also seen there were only 12 sticks so that would leave 37 auto's. either way its pretty rare which is just a fun fact. not sure if its really worth that much more, as it all depends on who is buying it.. I love mine and I hope you enjoy yours!

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
If it has 75K it was a daily driver (15K miles a year)...not a good beginning...and all I see is trouble ahead...remember, the fault finder finds fault even in Paradise...my car is an 06' with 36K...which car do u believe is cared for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't really offer any advice or share any mechanical knowledge ... but I just wanted to say the Hydro Blue is absolutely beautiful. :yesnod: From a female point of view ... for what it's worth. :jm2c:

·
Registered
927 Posts
If it has 75K it was a daily driver (15K miles a year)...not a good beginning...and all I see is trouble ahead...remember, the fault finder finds fault even in Paradise...my car is an 06' with 36K...which car do u believe is cared for.
Totally irrelevant. One of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned I bought with 155K miles that had been accumulated at a rate greater than 15K per year. I sold it with 218K still running perfectly. Conversely, I once bought a car with 9K miles and it was a total lemon.

Enjoy the new Sky.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I looked to the left. Then I looked to the
right. Which one do I love best.
Stroken.
Redline always.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just get the carfax and review it. Ask the dealer for the name of the previous owner. If they won't give it to you then walk away. If it checks out with the other owner then the price seems fair. Just drive it and have fun. Beats me why someone would think the car is gonna die at 100k.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
So Did you buy it? We want pics.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Totally irrelevant. One of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned I bought with 155K miles that had been accumulated at a rate greater than 15K per year. I sold it with 218K still running perfectly. Conversely, I once bought a car with 9K miles and it was a total lemon.

Enjoy the new Sky.
It was not a SKY...this car has so many mechanical issues....is your head in the sand...just look at this forum and how many members are complaining. The turbo has more problems from being a turbo. Americans do not know how to built a turbo (yet)

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
My new car is a auto 2.4L CXL.
Lov the car.
Slow compare to my R/L.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
126 Posts
It was not a SKY...this car has so many mechanical issues....is your head in the sand...just look at this forum and how many members are complaining. The turbo has more problems from being a turbo. Americans do not know how to built a turbo (yet)
Guess I'm confused. If your opinion of the Sky is so bad then why haven't you ditched the car? Two and two doesn't add up to four.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Americans do not know how to built a turbo (yet)
Actually the K04 in the Redlines is a BorgWarner turbo, a very well-known company that makes some of the best turbos in the automotive industry. Saying that Americans built the turbo in the Sky is ignorant. Further, that K04 turbo has been around for years, and the ecotecs motors are nearly 15 years old.

Your blanket statements are just plain ignorant. There are LE5 and LNF kappas rolling around with 200k on the clock...

Guess I'm confused. If your opinion of the Sky is so bad then why haven't you ditched the car? Two and two doesn't add up to four.:rolleyes:
Mike just makes up tons of reasons that Redlines suck because he's stuck with a 2.4 that is slower than most modern minivans. :jester:

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Actually the K04 in the Redlines is a BorgWarner turbo, a very well-known company that makes some of the best turbos in the automotive industry. Saying that Americans built the turbo in the Sky is ignorant. Further, that K04 turbo has been around for years, and the ecotecs motors are nearly 15 years old.

Your blanket statements are just plain ignorant. There are LE5 and LNF kappas rolling around with 200k on the clock...

Mike just makes up tons of reasons that Redlines suck because he's stuck with a 2.4 that is slower than most modern minivans. :jester:
Point well taken...except this forum is full of problems with the turbo...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thoughts? Good deal? Bad deal? Tips for a Kappa admirer, but first time owner?
Congrats Chris on a fine vehicle and welcome to the forum, I have a base Sky that only has 10,000 miles, wish it was a Redline but as the old saying goes, "Beggars can't be Chosers" I still enjoy my car a lot even though up here we only have 6 months to drive them. Was going to take mine for a spin yesterday but only started it up and let it run for a few minutes. Wish spring was here and all the snow was gone.

I paid $17000 colourful Canadian dollars for mine. I love the car and have learned so much about it here. Read the archives for many informative posts.

Terry

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, for both the warm welcomes and good feedback. I did pick up the Hydro Redline yesterday.

Carfax was clean. CarMax doesn't give past owner details out of security. Also CarMax does a lot of auction deals, but I doubt this was an auction car - it didn't read that way on the Carfax.

Both cup holders, and the cubby were broken. I knew one was broken, but I confirmed the other two issues before driving off the lot. CarMax has agreed to fix them.

Already put 400 miles on it. Reverse had noise and a hard shift. Took it to my local Chevy dealership, and their Corvette tech is working on it right now. Main suspect is bad motor mounts.

Somehow this car wasn't titled until January 2010. I guess the dealer held onto it. So I'm still under GM powertrain, and CarMax 30 day bumper-to-bumper, and that's before my 75,000 mile additional CarMax bumper-to-bumper warranty kicks in. Cost me a bloody fortune at $3,600... but with the miles I'm going to put on it, it'll be worth it.

This undoubtedly will be the highest-miled Hydro when I'm done with it, unless I wreck it, so at the least it will be ready for a full restoration when it burns out. And I expect to have a lot of fun burning it out...

I'll Stage 2 it later, but for now I just want it in pristine condition.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks all, got it checked over. And, good news, I'm keeping it. :D

The transmission mounts are out of spec and causing excessive noise. I was fearing the transmission, but dealer assures me it's just the mount. CarMax is picking up the tab completely.

The lead Corvette tech at my local Chevy dealership called it "pristine" - GM repair history shows minimal repairs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh, and, I got an unexpected bonus. The cubby in the waterfall is busted, and since the teardown overlaps, I get cup holders added to my '09 and I just have to pay for the cupholder part.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts