Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed some of your advice and read up on the CAI option and I understand what it is now.

But in what way does it enhance the performance to have the 10 extra horses? Does that mean it will do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds or does that just mean that it will have more pickup from 40-60 mph?

Also, does it make the engine louder or does it just contribute to a lower tone? I still want the car to be as quiet as possible.

Can one of you experts educate me a little further on this?

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
If you want quiet as possible then don't install a Cold Air Intake. That simple. The resonator boxes on our intakes are there for noise reduction.

The reason it gives you more power is you are replacing filters. Believe it or not that's the MAIN reason why you get more power. Your air filter restricts the air coming through it. Makes sense really since that's how it filters the air by making it go through really small passages that dirt cannot pass. So by going to a better flowing air filter you get more air into the engine quicker and thus more power.

Second, you'll not on the stock airbox the opening for air to get in it is about the size of your fist. That's not very big. By increasing that size (by doing away with the box all together) you get more air to the filter and, again, increasing flow.

Lastly, the CAIs usually have long, smooth, tubes with few bends in them. This allows the air to travel to the throttle without getting hung up on imperfections and turns. This is probably the least important of all the benefits to our CAI systems.

As far as how that translates basically it adds a bit of power. Generally it is throughout the range since you are getting more air in but I don't think anyone has really broken it down that much. The difference is subtle anyway.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
will the dual CAI be louder than the regular CAI?

I'm guessing it would be the same but thought I'd throw the question out there hoping someone already has the dual installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
CAI = a waste of money, you won't pick up 10hp... maybe 5 at the crank :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
500 dollars for interior noise is a bit of a rip off

·
Registered
476 Posts
bluestang50 said:
CAI = a waste of money, you won't pick up 10hp... maybe 5 at the crank :rolleyes:
You know what, your right. We wanted to sucker you all into buying our product by telling you we make 10hp when we only make 9.91hp on crummy California 91 octane. I'm sorry for missleading everyone. I hope no one else feels scammed out of their money. Here is our Dyno sheet showing that it is not possible to make 10hp with the waste of money that is the CAI. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
692 Posts
YOU WIN!! Nice post, I love it when an engineer plays well with others!:thumbs:

Imaged 23/06/06
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
77 Posts
SpecRaceM5 said:
You know what, your right. We wanted to sucker you all into buying our product by telling you we make 10hp when we only make 9.91hp on crummy California 91 octane. I'm sorry for missleading everyone. I hope no one else feels scammed out of their money. Here is our Dyno sheet showing that it is not possible to make 10hp with the waste of money that is the CAI. :rolleyes:

doesn't matter if it is 5, 10, or even 15hp, you could get a lot more performance for $500

·
Registered
482 Posts
bluestang50 said:
I don't care if it makes 1 or 10hp as long as I can remove all that black plastic from under the hood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maverick said:
I don't care if it makes 1 or 10hp as long as I can remove all that black plastic from under the hood.
No i completely agree with you on that, if you want to get all of that plastic out from under the hood thats good. The part im saying is a waste is paying $500 for a CAI because people are scared or losing their warranty. A CAI shouldn't be over $250.

SpecRaceM5's CAI is more reasonable but the dealers are ass raping people getting 500 for a CAI and then charging $20 to install it.

Spec that was not an attack towards you or your company so you don't have to act like a douche...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Factory CAI

People have posted messages that they added the CAI after driving their SKY for a few weeks and they could tell a significant difference. I was hoping to hear more testimonial to that effect or anything contradictory.

I just need to figure out what I'm gonna get for my 500 bucks should I decide to get one.

Does it actually make the engine alot louder or only a little?:confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had one for about a month now and I like the slightly deeper sound when I punch it and I believe I got a little move jump out of mine. I do feel the price was inflated, but people spend money on what they want in life... just figure how much a pack of cigs cost over a year:banghead: Oh ya and I believe you can also get better gas mileage too.... if you don't punch it:D You can always take the opinion things aren't worth the money and often they aren't, in the end it's what makes you smile, because hey I could buy an old truck for $500 bucks and drive it instead:lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
RedSky2night said:
I've had one for about a month now and I like the slightly deeper sound when I punch it and I believe I got a little move jump out of mine. I do feel the price was inflated, but people spend money on what they want in life... just figure how much a pack of cigs cost over a year:banghead: Oh ya and I believe you can also get better gas mileage too.... if you don't punch it:D You can always take the opinion things aren't worth the money and often they aren't, in the end it's what makes you smile, because hey I could buy an old truck for $500 bucks and drive it instead:lol:
very well put :thumbs:

·
Registered
205 Posts
a cai will provide what kappasphere claims. and i believe it does give the sky a deeper sound. I've heard some people decide not to get it to keep the quieter ride. Here's a clip of sound of cai that was posted awhile ago. Not sure but i'm guessing the factory installed one. http://media.putfile.com/SKY-with-CAI specrace i'm just curious but why doesn't gm/saturn get kappasphere to create the accessories they offer?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you need to un-hook the battery to re-set the Computer for this mod?

·
Registered
476 Posts
bluestang50 said:
Spec that was not an attack towards you or your company so you don't have to act like a douche...
The first post, may or may not have been, but you are ridding a fine line with comments like this. I was simply clairifying that you were correct and it is impossible to make 10hp on an intake. If it is we need to go back to the drawingboard. Settle down tiger.:thumbs:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
a cai will provide what kappasphere claims. and i believe it does give the sky a deeper sound. I've heard some people decide not to get it to keep the quieter ride. Here's a clip of sound of cai that was posted awhile ago. Not sure but i'm guessing the factory installed one. http://media.putfile.com/SKY-with-CAI specrace i'm just curious but why doesn't gm/saturn get kappasphere to create the accessories they offer?
Assesories such as? If you are reffering to products with the Sky logo, we are working on that. Otherwise, we come up with our own solutions for the Sky and Solstice. I am not taking all the credit here however. We have many great manufacturers that help us make our idea's a reality. We try our best to only bring you a top quality product. Sometimes this is hard because with quality comes price and there is a fine ballance of what people are willing to pay for quality. I would never pay $500 for a CAI unless they started calling turbo chargers that.:thumbs: I am however contemplating picking up an exhaust for my BMW that we carry that costs a pretty penny. It all depends on the product and the buyer at the end of the day.

Oh and it deffinitely affects the sound. Our Sky with just the KS1 exhaust sounded great, but it was lacking something that our Solstice had. Once we put the CAI on it was back to the same old great growl to its fullest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts