Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pics showing the Kappasphere CAI installed last nite. It cleans up the engine compartment. You see the engine now. One picture shows the location of the new filter with the hood up. It is amazing how much "stuff" was removed on the stock intake system. I laid it out in front of the car for reference.
Looks like the GM engineers were working overtime to quiet intake noise. As soon as the roads dry up here, I'll give it a test drive and report.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Looks like you are going to save some weight as well as getting more air into the intake manifold. :thumbs:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cai

Yes there is some weight savings, a few pounds because its all plastic.

It looks like there really is no good cold air source for this filter because the small grill in front of it is closed. I may drill a few holes in the grill mesh to let it breath. It would be totally invisible. If I do, I'll open it up on both sides, but not directly in front of it, so rain and dirt will not have a direct shot at the open filter. The stock filter intake was in the same location as the new low restriction CAI system.

The lower grill is completely ducted to the radiator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you know....

does the installation of an aftermarket CAI system effect the GM warranty on the engine? Thats a fair number of parts no longer needed. Sorry if the question has been asked already if so, I haven't found it... thanks... by the way, the system looks sharp...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it does not impact warranty. GM sells the same accessory.
If I did something on my installation that actually caused a problem, then I'm sure they wouldn't cover it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eddie Sky,
The CAI is supposed to boost power and provide a more "sporty" sound when you open the throttle.
CAI, cold air induction" provides more power by providing denser air to the engine. In this application, I don't think that is going to change much because both systems draw air from the same location.
The CAI is less restrictive so it should flow more = more HP. The supply pipe is larger diameter and smoother. The filter is lower restriction, also.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the pics

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
vairman said:
does the installation of an aftermarket CAI system effect the GM warranty on the engine? Thats a fair number of parts no longer needed. Sorry if the question has been asked already if so, I haven't found it... thanks... by the way, the system looks sharp...
The installation of aftermarket parts does not void your warranety on your vehicle. However if there is an issue with your car and it is determined the aftermarket part was at fault in causing this issue then the warranty work involved in fixing the issue is denied. So say you have thw CAI on and your stereo system dies. Your dealership can not deny you warranty work. However say the filter implodes on your intake (hypothetical situation, it's an extremely unlike example) and gets sucked into the engine and causes it to break then they can deny you warranty work.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
brentil said:
However say the filter implodes on your intake (hypothetical situation, it's an extremely unlike example) and gets sucked into the engine and causes it to break then they can deny you warranty work.
oh...
:willy:
Thank you:willy:
:willy:
:eek:
That little story made me feel SO much better....:jester:

I get ya... As a matter of fact -- I have decided to go CAI aftermarket.... There seems to be some supporting vendors who have some attractive offers...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cai

Just went out for the first ride after installing the CAI.
I like it!
It feels like it has more HP, but I can't really verify it because I didn't get after the engine with the stock intake.
The best thing is THE SOUND. It is quiet like stock going down the road, but when you step on it and the revs rise...YEE HA!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No way to feed fresh air

I checked into feeding cool fresh air to the CAI by dismantling the front top grill. It is not feasible without hacking into the fascia. Something I'm not going to do. Here are some pics of what is there:

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for postibg suck awesome pics. I was waiting for someone with some car expertise to start to dimantle parts of the SKY and take pics. Keep it up!! Also you should post some pics of the wheel/color combo, every silver pearl I have seen has chrome wheels, you don't. I think it would be an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you.....

brentil said:
The installation of aftermarket parts does not void your warranety on your vehicle. However if there is an issue with your car and it is determined the aftermarket part was at fault in causing this issue then the warranty work involved in fixing the issue is denied. So say you have thw CAI on and your stereo system dies. Your dealership can not deny you warranty work. However say the filter implodes on your intake (hypothetical situation, it's an extremely unlike example) and gets sucked into the engine and causes it to break then they can deny you warranty work.
A + explaination as usual.... I will keep this in mind when deciding on any aftermarket accessories and/or parts. :thumbs:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ruledawg,
I don't have any really good whole car pictures, I've been waiting for a sunny day. That's when it looks the best. The older pictures I do have are too big a file to email on this forum. I'll try to get some tomorrow. The 2007 Sky brochure has painted wheels on a silver car. Thats what they look like!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Sky Hi said:
Eddie Sky,
The CAI is supposed to boost power and provide a more "sporty" sound when you open the throttle.
CAI, cold air induction" provides more power by providing denser air to the engine. In this application, I don't think that is going to change much because both systems draw air from the same location.
The CAI is less restrictive so it should flow more = more HP. The supply pipe is larger diameter and smoother. The filter is lower restriction, also.
Actually, it is a cold air intake - induction indicates the air is forced in, like the true "shaker" hoods the mucsle cars use to have. The "shaker" was a ram that forces air into the carb. Since there is no induction here, it is just an intake.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts