Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the impact of the CAI on fuel economy?

I've read a lot of discussion about the impact on get up and go, as well as the improved sound, but does the CAI help or hinder the fuel economy?

·
Registered
692 Posts
two schools of thought

Generally speaking your fuel economy would go up due in part to the increased air flow and cooler air. Oxygen is a gas and as the gas's cool they become more dense which in turn allows more oxygen to enter your intake and combust with the fuel.
Now, a contrary theory would be that as the incredible whoose and growl of your CAI expresses itself to your primitive side your foot will be driven to press harder on the accelerator and drive the RPM's higher to increase the need for satisfaction:driving: ! Hence, fuel economy goes out and by the wind screen and tail lights...ahhh, so it goes:)

Imaged 23/06/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your Fuel will go down because your foot to the pedal will go down to listen to the...PRETTY, PRETTY SOUNDS OF SUCKING OPEN AIR!

The more you become addicted to the sound the more your fuel will go down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You can't be serious man...you don't get a CAI to get better MPG.

If you want better MPG and more HP get a REFLASHED ECM...BUT OPPS...again you will be putting the pedal to the metal so you won't see any difference in MPG either.

I guess if you want to drive the Sky around 40 all day you will save on the MPG...but come on...none of us do this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
REDSKY said:
Your Fuel will go down because your foot to the pedal will go down to listen to the...PRETTY, PRETTY SOUNDS OF SUCKING OPEN AIR!

The more you become addicted to the sound the more your fuel will go down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You can't be serious man...you don't get a CAI to get better MPG.

If you want better MPG and more HP get a REFLASHED ECM...BUT OPPS...again you will be putting the pedal to the metal so you won't see any difference in MPG either.

I guess if you want to drive the Sky around 40 all day you will save on the MPG...but come on...none of us do this.
Geeze, he just asked. Can't a guy ask a question?

·
Registered
540 Posts
DSqr said:
What has been the impact of the CAI on fuel economy?

I've read a lot of discussion about the impact on get up and go, as well as the improved sound, but does the CAI help or hinder the fuel economy?
Just tell your wife (and yourself) that it not only helps with get up and go but it improves fuel economy by 5 mpg. Not that any of this is true but it certainly sounds like a great reason for spending the money on CAI and you get more pep and a nice growl :jester:

warning: this post has absolutely zero accurate information and is full of hot air. patent pending. use at your own risk....

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
real world

anyone out there with a CAI installed care to report their acutal mpg?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Prior to getting my CAI and new cat-back I was getting 23.2 MPG for my style of driving. That was based on a little less than a month. Since getting my car upgraded, I am seeing about 24.1, also for mixed driving for about a month. 1,900 miles before, 1,700 miles after.

Mostly surface streets with minimal congestion. Not freeway, not stop and go.

BUT - this is not scientific at all. Just anecdotal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CAI comes with one warning, if you use your ears and your right foot there is no such thing as fuel economy!!!:nono: on the other hand it does sound so much better I have had mine in a week. I would not go with out it, it just adds attitude to go along with wonderful styling:cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
sunscrn said:
CAI comes with one warning, if you use your ears and your right foot there is no such thing as fuel economy!!!:nono: on the other hand it does sound so much better I have had mine in a week. I would not go with out it, it just adds attitude to go along with wonderful styling:cool:
That sounds about right. I have it and my mpg have stayed below 21.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the False Courage

ineedmorebotox said:
Just tell your wife (and yourself) that it not only helps with get up and go but it improves fuel economy by 5 mpg. Not that any of this is true but it certainly sounds like a great reason for spending the money on CAI and you get more pep and a nice growl :jester:

warning: this post has absolutely zero accurate information and is full of hot air. patent pending. use at your own risk....
Now that you've given me the sales tools to bring the boss into the equation, I know that I'll have to add the CAI. At some point, it will start generating more gas than I do and I'll be independent of Middle East petroleum.:lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
After extensively researching CAI systems for the ecotec, I have come to the conclusion that about the only thing that one gets from a CAI system is
more noise under the hood. Improved gas mileage? That would be quite impossible, even if one did get significant amounts of power from cooler
intake charges (intakes charges will not change very much with a CAI). The engine will burn the fuel as efficiently as possible and the fact that the
oxygen levels in the exhaust remain almost constant across all conditions is telling you that all of the energy that could be extracted from the gas has been
extracted. There's your answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts