Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I needed some info on a windscreen for my Sky and got so much great input, I placed an order for one, now I am looking at either painting or covering my calipers to coordinate the color to my red Sky. Unfortunately, I do not have a jack or stands, so I will probably have to hire it done. I live in Michigan, so the summers are short and our motto is if it isn't nice enough to have the top down, then we don't take it out of the garage. I also wash it before we go for a ride, so there would be no build up of brake dust on the wheels or anything. We only put a couple thousand miles on it a year. Thank you for any input, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I personally feel caliper covers make the car look "cheap". Though color-coordinated calipers are attractive, I prefer the natural look, and it is much more forgiving when needing new calipers. I've painted the front cast iron calipers a clean gray color as shown below on a Solstice I prep'd for someone else. I plan to do something similar on our Sky. It is "work" doing it right.

The rear calipers are alloy and simply clean up nicely with a CLR product. I prefer ZEP, much cheaper than CLR. I clean them by leaving them hydraulically attached to the car while soaking them in a bucket of solution and brush them clean as needed. The rear caliper brackets can be cleaned or painted pending the results of cleaning.

The front calipers and brackets are cast iron which is a much more extensive process. I remove them completely, plug the hydraulic connection, grind and file off the ugly rough edges & corners, then sand blast them perfectly clean followed by painting.

Solstice front caliper painted gray

Solstice rear caliper cleaned up and left natural

I don't have detailed pictures of the Solstice, but do of my mother's Chevy Tracker that I prepared for sale....same basic story.

Here is post-sandblasting

Here is post-painting (note the new rotors also painted)

Before wheel and brake restoration

After

My 93 year old mother's Tracker 4x4 had only 21,000 miles at 16 years old. It sat outside curbside on a Chicago side street it's entire life. I wanted the vehicle to look like it's true mileage. It was worth doing in this unique case.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
Last week I needed some info on a windscreen for my Sky and got so much great input, I placed an order for one, now I am looking at either painting or covering my calipers to coordinate the color to my red Sky. Unfortunately, I do not have a jack or stands, so I will probably have to hire it done. I live in Michigan, so the summers are short and our motto is if it isn't nice enough to have the top down, then we don't take it out of the garage. I also wash it before we go for a ride, so there would be no build up of brake dust on the wheels or anything. We only put a couple thousand miles on it a year. Thank you for any input, it is greatly appreciated!
We were talking about brakes and clean up just a few weeks ago ... I agree with rjgramps, I think caliper covers look cheap and they can be expensive. If you like to tinker with cars and are handy with a spray can, you could buy a low profile jack, jack stands and paint. (be very careful of the fenders when jacking) With a roll of painters tape, some newspaper and patience you can paint them yourself for less money than the caliper covers and have the jack & stands for later use. I save projects like this for winter, it keeps me interested in the car when off season, it's very gratifying when done and each year the car gets a bit cleaner and more detailed. This was done this winter over the period of two weeks...

Before

after

While the wheel was off, I also painted the inside of the rim which was beginning to pit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, you do beautiful work on your cars! The pictures look great! If you painted your wheels and calipers in the winter, either you don't live in the northern climate (Michigan) or have a heated garage. I will definitely have the calipers painted, whether or not I do it is TBD. Thanks again for the input and once again you guys are spot on. Thank you and have a great week.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
We were talking about brakes and clean up just a few weeks ago ... I agree with rjgramps, I think caliper covers look cheap and they can be expensive. If you like to tinker with cars and are handy with a spray can, you could buy a low profile jack, jack stands and paint. (be very careful of the fenders when jacking) With a roll of painters tape, some newspaper and patience you can paint them yourself for less money than the caliper covers and have the jack & stands for later use. I save projects like this for winter, it keeps me interested in the car when off season, it's very gratifying when done and each year the car gets a bit cleaner and more detailed. This was done this winter over the period of two weeks...

Before
View attachment 115031

after
View attachment 115033
View attachment 115034

While the wheel was off, I also painted the inside of the rim which was beginning to pit
View attachment 115036
Greetings
What kind of lift is that?

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
Thanks guys, you do beautiful work on your cars! The pictures look great! If you painted your wheels and calipers in the winter, either you don't live in the northern climate (Michigan) or have a heated garage. I will definitely have the calipers painted, whether or not I do it is TBD. Thanks again for the input and once again you guys are spot on. Thank you and have a great week.
Thank you! Yes, heated garage. I have no basement so the garage is storage, workshop, parking and escape all in one.

Greetings
What kind of lift is that?
It's an Atlas four post lift. Atlas lift
I basically found the smallest least expensive lift I could to turn a two stall garage into a three stall. Otherwise, I was parking outside. There are other pictures in this thread.
Outdoor Winter Storage

·
Registered
252 Posts
A Michigander here too. I went the cheap route and put fake brembo covers on. $15 for all 4 delivered to my door from eBay. I did a little trimming and put them on with hi-temp silicone. 7 years and they still look great in my opinion. It’s your car do what you like. The redline letters and Saturn vinyl I added last year and i sell them if anyone is interested Just pm me.
BBFBCC35-F80E-46E7-8390-43B1B6AF023E.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look great! I think when when I need to put new tires on in a couple of years, I am going to look at replacing the stock wheels that are on now. Your chrome wheels look great! I really appreciate you showing me the calipers, as much as I don't want to spend the $ on getting them painted, I think that is the route I am going to go, at least at this point. I don't plan on taking it out of storage for at least a month from now, so who knows, I may change my mind. Thanks again for the input, it definitely makes me question how much money I want to put into painting the calipers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Before
View attachment 115031

after
View attachment 115033
View attachment 115034

View attachment 115036

Before
View attachment 115031

after
View attachment 115033
View attachment 115034

View attachment 115036
Hickhaven, Well I broke down and bought a low profile jack and 4 jack stands. Can you tell me what paint you used to do the inside of your rims? Since I will be taking all 4 tires off to paint the calipers, I really like the look of the inside of your rims. Also, I have a red Sky and was looking at the color chart for G2 caliper paint, their red seems to look quite dark, where their orange looks closer to the car color than the red. Does anyone have any input on how the G2 red matches up with the Sky red? Thank you in advance for the inputs!

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
Hickhaven, Well I broke down and bought a low profile jack and 4 jack stands. Can you tell me what paint you used to do the inside of your rims? Since I will be taking all 4 tires off to paint the calipers, I really like the look of the inside of your rims. Also, I have a red Sky and was looking at the color chart for G2 caliper paint, their red seems to look quite dark, where their orange looks closer to the car color than the red. Does anyone have any input on how the G2 red matches up with the Sky red? Thank you in advance for the inputs!
Hi Ken, I have a 1987 Chevy plow truck which is in constant need of body work and paint trying to keep from being overtaken by the rust. As such I buy spray paint and primer by the case and happened to have six cans of each laying around the day I started on the calipers. Not a very scientific way to approach it but once I looked at the inside of the rims I figured what's to lose. The paint I used is ace hardware brand premium satin black enamel. It's the cheapest stuff at the local hardware store but it sprays nice, dry's fast and has lasted two years without touch up.

Ace Premium Satin Black Enamel Spray Paint 12 oz. - Ace Hardware

There are more pictures of how I did it in the below thread....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One question I forgot to ask, does anyone torque their lug nuts, or do you just crank them down really tight with a lug wrench??

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
One question I forgot to ask, does anyone torque their lug nuts, or do you just crank them down really tight with a lug wrench??
Always torque lug nuts. It prevents warped rotors, warped or cracked rims, tires falling off, stretched or stripped lug bolts. I am sure there are other reasons also. The Sky Manual specks 100 lb torque for the lugs.

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
Say what u want....I have never torqued lug nuts on the Sky or any other car...there has never been an issue....that I know of....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Say what u want....I have never torqued lug nuts on the Sky or any other car...there has never been an issue....that I know of....
Neither do i, heck sometimes i even forget to put all the lug nuts on, a few times i drove around with only 1 lug nut...

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
71 Posts
You just may posses Magic Mike torque sensitive arms! If the bolts are tightened more or less evenly and not over tightened then no problem. I'm a freaking animal and have a bad habit of over tightening everything. Got stuck on the side of the road with a flat once, long time ago, and broke the lug wrench trying to loosen a lug I had over tightened. Had to sit there for two hours till AAA showed up. Lesson learned.
And OMG, I am never getting in shabby's car!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts